RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

1st Monster Truck - Traxxas???

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 08:05 AM
Grimmie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Monster Truck - Traxxas???

Hi guys,

I'm going to start off with an apology for this post as I'm sure one or two of you will be sick of seeing this type post, but if you don't ask, you don't get....

Right, I'm going to buy a M/T, which will be my first. Previousley had some fun with dated used Stad trucks but thought I'd treat myself to something special. I'll be using the truck for bashing (parks action) with the intention of local fun racing maybe, when I get experienced and hop it up (if funds permit).

Having looked at the m/t guide on the previous page, and routing around on the web, I'm all for a TMaxx at the moment, but am open to suggestions - anyone advise different?

Also, I'm UK based and would like to buy direct from the US (or elsewhere), the cheapest RC shop I've found so far for the Tmaxx (excluding postage) is Tower at $380 (equates to about £205 here, whereas they come RTR in our local model shops for about £350+.....).

Before I go ahead and treat myself, I was hoping for a more experienced view on my purchase?

Also, have just noticed that the TMaxx is being replaced by the Revo (or is this another Traxxas model), should I wait til this becomes available, TMaxx might come down in price, or should I want a Revo?

Any help whatsoever would be welcome.

Cheers,

G
Old 04-21-2004, 09:51 AM
mecky33

Default RE: 1st Monster Truck - Traxxas???

Grimmie, I know that there are not many distributors for Cen in the UK, but you may want to look at an MT2 anyway. They are around 280 and will do everything you want to do with it. If you want more info on the Cen MT2 go to www.cenracing.com or let me know.

As far as the traxxas, they are spendy to rebuild and you can go through a lot of parts if you are not careful. I have a neighbor thats got a traxxas and every time he takes it out he has broken something on it.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:00 AM
WonderWheels

Hi Grimmie, I'm in the UK too, and the prices here are OUTRAGEOUS. My friend has the T-maxx and in my opinion i don't like it. I am going to buy the XTM Mammoth from the US and including shipping 4-6 days it'll be £250, so its really good. Check out: http://globalservices.globalhobby.co...forum.php?f=10 for the mammoth forum. Go with the mammoth!!
Old 04-21-2004, 12:34 PM
sharms

Hi Grimmie

I'm from Vancouver, Canada I too have been doing a lot and I mean a lot of research on the MT's out there, let me tell there are a couple. I have a buddy who has a T-Maxx looks like a good MT. But when started my researching I found out that there are a couple of other MT out there that are more durable ie (savage .25) but in the end of the day I don't think you can go to wrong with any of the MT out there. There are two new MT coming out very soon, and I'm waiting for the reviews on them. They are the CEN Genesis & Losi LST they look pretty awesome.

Take a look at www.hobbypeople.net they seem to be a bit cheaper than the rest they are California based.

Can't wait to buy my MT either
Old 04-22-2004, 03:31 AM
Grimmie

Cheers for the replies all,

I'm still hangin in there for a TMaxx I think, even though you mention that they can get costly in repairs. But I'm sure you get this with all of them if you use them frequently, I know I did with my Stadium trucks!!!

The other possibility is a Savage .25, but they don't sound as fast as the TMaxx, and I'd need to install the reverse unit. The only problem with getting a .25 and 1/8, is that it will most probably be only used then for bashing, the local club I live near recommend that you bring along a 1/10 ideally with a .15, as most use these to race. I might struggle to get in with a Savage?

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion of CEN, but spares aren't going to easy to get, and the Mammoth - cheers but the pull put me off, and someone mentioned it's not a tough as it could be???

One kite sold - one to go and I can order my beast.

Any other suggestions more than welcome,

Cheers again,

G
Old 04-23-2004, 12:00 AM
Mxracer45

The mammoth is bigger than the tmaxx and savage. PLus it does 52mph out of box
Old 04-23-2004, 12:14 AM
raykessler

u implied that you have limited funds..... is this correct

from what iv heard (iv never owned a MAX) they break a lot unless you spend butt loads of money to hop them up
Old 04-23-2004, 02:18 AM
Grimmie

Ray,

Limited funds yes, to a certain degree anyway.

Missus doesn't approve of all the big biys toys that I have, so to get one of these I need to rearrange my playhouse.....

I'd say realistically, and as it's my first monster truck, £300 - $550, possibly a tad more, what would you get with that?

Mammoth, gonna struggle for parts from my LHS?

I'm thinking Sav with Rev unit now.......

G
Old 04-23-2004, 08:07 AM
slago

ORIGINAL: Grimmie

Also, I'm UK based and would like to buy direct from the US (or elsewhere), the cheapest RC shop I've found so far for the Tmaxx (excluding postage) is Tower at $380 (equates to about £205 here, whereas they come RTR in our local model shops for about £350+.....).

I am new to the MT's as well. I have a Losi LST on order from my LHS. You need to take a look at [link=http://www.ultimatehobbies.com//l129.html]http://www.ultimatehobbies.com//l129.html[/link] They seem to be the cheapest I have found anywhere (their price on the T-Maxx is $369.95). The website is not 1st rate like Tower's but they have a good reputation and better prices. I suggest you do the research on other sites and then order from Ultimate Hobbies.

My thoughts on the truck:

I have watched the videos at [link=http://www.slapmafro.com/]http://www.slapmafro.com/[/link] and they deal out some serious abuse to their trucks and they prefer the Savage so I would consider that to be a very tough truck.

Good Luck!
Old 04-23-2004, 08:22 AM
RcCoy
My Feedback: (1)

Grimmie, I have a Tmaxx, 2 infact and I like them both they are fast and as for the hop ups you really only need a Hi Torque steering servo, tunned pipe, and maybe shocks if you really want. As for all the alluminum parts I don't waste my time. They bend and are expensive to replace. As for the breaking, the only time I have broke has been my own fault. I think with the aftermarket support for this truck makes it hard to look elsewhere. IMO