Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

T-Maxx 2.5 v Savage 25 RTR Which truck has the highest top speed out of the box?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

T-Maxx 2.5 v Savage 25 RTR Which truck has the highest top speed out of the box?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 09:42 AM
Doohan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Maxx 2.5 v Savage 25 RTR Which truck has the highest top speed out of the box?

Sorry if this has been covered before....but in stock form....is the T-Maxx 2.5 or the Savage 25 faster? Has anyone got these 2 trucks together and had a drag?
And what's the best upgrade for more power/speed besides changing the engine?
Old 10-29-2003, 10:31 AM
Krink

Default RE: T-Maxx 2.5 v Savage 25 RTR Which truck has the highest top speed out of the box?

I had a T-Maxx for about 2 weeks it was a no running POS. Died every couple minutes.
I sold it to a friend and bought a Savage. Best thing i ever did . The thing runs non stop while my T-Maxx friends are in the pits.
There is currently 5 T-Maxxs and my Savage running at a friends house on flat grass on a tri oval course so its a lot of high speed runs. 2 of my friend went and bought .18 Sirio's
for there trucks when they knew i was getting my Savage 25 RTR. I can holeshot any of them off the line but the .18's get me on the big end. I think when i adjust my tranny to shift sooner ill do better and take advantage of the low end power of the .25 .

I'm waiting for my brake and diff upgrade to come in . Hey guys what oil should i put in the front and rear diff ? Also so what oil should i use in my shocks? I know were doing a lot of flat tracking right on but we will be joining ROAR so we can get a key to the local track.

Thanks to this board. Its why it didn't take long to switch to a Savage.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:18 PM
studysession

Default RE: T-Maxx 2.5 v Savage 25 RTR Which truck has the highest top speed out of the box?

Top speed - is the TMaxx will win in a drag race... But anything else the Savage will win... Like Krink said over all the TMaxx is not the best choice for an RC Truck unless you want to spend a lot on hop-ups to make it durable.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:25 PM
Doohan

What about the Savage 25 with the 18T clutch bell on it and not the 15T. Will that give it more top speed than a standard T-Maxx 2.5?
And can you go a 19T or 20T clutch bell for the Savage?
Old 10-29-2003, 12:37 PM
remten2001

DOOHAN

you would be better off going with the FG leopard race buggy.....I had a savage with a .25 and the thing constanly needed parts...broken dogbones,melted spurs,diff bearing started to go south after 4 gallons of fuel in it....

All mt's are money pits....Buggy are built tougher.....

A leopard race will keep up with a tmaxx no problem and will whoop its *****....With the new zenoah g230 engine these engine are like rockets......
Old 10-29-2003, 12:43 PM
Doohan

Wizen...i have been looking at getting a 1/5th or 1/6th scale such as the Leopard race but they cost 4 times more than a T-Maxx or Savavge and they are no faster.
For that price they would want to do 60MPH or its not worth the money.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:55 PM
studysession

Why are you worried about going that fast??? If you are off roading, you don't want to go to fast.... JMO -- I just got a Dominator. Going through the break in. Single speed, stock does over 38Mph... Need 2 spd or higher #t clutch bell to go any faster..
Old 10-29-2003, 01:15 PM
regg151

ok tmaxx 2.5 vs Savage 25 out the box (sav w/18t cb) they are appox the same speed the sav would have more low end power then the maxx but since the maxx is lighter it will get up to speed faster.

just remember that the maxx is a 1/10 scale and the savage is a 1/8 scale.

if you want to upgrade to a more powerfull engine i'd say go with the savage it can handele the power of the most powerful big blocks you can throw at with very few mods. the maxx on the other hand needs at least 200-300$ in mods to handle the power of a mild 21 and be able to run with any reliability.

bottom line it all depends on what you intend to do with the truck hardcore bashing with crazy jumps and rugged terrain go with the savage. plan on running in parking lots and groomed tracks with smallish jumps then get the tmaxx either way you'll have fun and that's the bottom line
Old 10-29-2003, 01:33 PM
remten2001

Wizen...i have been looking at getting a 1/5th or 1/6th scale such as the Leopard race but they cost 4 times more than a T-Maxx or Savavge and they are no faster.
For that price they would want to do 60MPH or its not worth the money
Well you have been miss informed....1/6 scale off road buggys go way faster than 60 kph....They will keep up with anything that is out there and whoop there *****....

But if you like more mt's and that is your choice i respect that....But in the end you will end up putting the same amount of money in them....
Old 10-29-2003, 04:50 PM
j-maxx

t-maxx has IMo more acceleration than but ur goin to have to put some rpm parts on it becuse traxxas parts r terrible the savage is just as fast but it takes longer for it to get up to speed so in a drag the t-maxx would wim because of acceleration
Old 10-29-2003, 10:46 PM
MGT

Ok lets get the facts stright....... The savage will top out @ about 40mph with the 15T cb that it comes with. You really can't drag race the savage and have it be fair at least with the 15T cb on it, from a full stop if you punch it it will just wheelie or flip over. Thats where the 18T cb comes into play, it takes just enough torque away to have it not wheelie and a little bit slower off the lineIf you know how to work a spread sheet the put in the data, and it will tell you that with the 15/49 gearing it will top out at about 42mph but with airodynamics and ect.. it will not be able to go it top speed so that why it tops out at about 40mph with the 15tcb. nowif you take the 18/49 gearing and punch it into the spread sheet it will tell you that the savage will top out at about 48.6mph i think thats it, and likw i said with all the forces that slow down R/C's it will never do 48mph, so thats why it tops out at just over 45mph.

These are the facts and you will just have to accept them, as I have and many many others.

So if you were to drag a t-maxx with the savage .25 rtr you would want to put the taller gearing so you can give it full throttle off the line and not have it flip. It would be close off the line but my guess is that the t-maxx might take by a 'savage' length or so and then the savage would spool up and catch up and pass it. It would be pretty close but it depends on many of factores to just flat out say the t-maxx will take it with ease or the savage would take it with ease. but with the savage have the advantage of the taller gearing it will 'most' likelt win.
My $.00000001
Old 10-29-2003, 11:12 PM
JuniorPilot

I have a t-maxx that is reliable and runs perfect...if your having problems it's probley your tuning
Old 10-29-2003, 11:30 PM
overrev

Both trucks are 1/10th scale.does it really matter what is faster or better.Aren't hobbies supposed to be fun.Just my .02.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:08 AM
MGT

The savage is 1/8 scale and the t-maxx is 1/10 scale. to some it matters to other it does not to me I could care less if my r/c is faster then yours or anybody elses, But heck yeah this is a fun hobby!!! I just broke down and ordered me the Monster GT if it was not fun to me I don't think I would spend $476 on just one truck. But I did because I like to work on/run my r/c's.

I think that saying this hobby is fun, is an understatement, It LOADs od f fun!!lol
Old 10-30-2003, 05:21 PM
j-maxx

mgt.he said stock out of the box no changes in anything
Old 10-31-2003, 05:35 PM
MGT

Sorry but what are you talking about?????? In any of my posts I do not say anything about putting aftermarket parts on either trucks to make one faster than the other? So........
Old 10-31-2003, 07:02 PM
regg151

MGT I believe what Jmaxx is referring to is the 18t cb.
J-maxx the 18t cb is in the box with the savage 25 & SS HPI provides you with both a 15t & 18t cb in the box.
[&:]
Old 10-31-2003, 07:12 PM
shades
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: wizen2002

For that price they would want to do 60MPH or its not worth the money
Well you have been miss informed....1/6 scale off road buggys go way faster than 60 kph....They will keep up with anything that is out there and whoop there *****....

But if you like more mt's and that is your choice i respect that....But in the end you will end up putting the same amount of money in them....
um thats kph not mph so yeah kph is half as much as mph
Old 10-31-2003, 07:42 PM
j-maxx

oh yea my b i forgot bout that
Old 11-01-2003, 05:17 PM
speeddemon-RCU

i draged my savage21 against my friends t-maxx witha new o.s. racing engine but i smoked him.i t was about a 200ft. track and we were about even off the start but then i just pulled away from him.
Old 11-01-2003, 05:33 PM
otterball21
My Feedback: (1)

Ok.. out of the box.. The 2.5 would have the advantage in the speed and because of engine, however off the line the savage would jump off faster. to clarify, the savage is 1/8th and the tmaxx is 1/10th.. however if you stick the 21 conversion.. it becomes 1/8th almost

Either way, both trucks are good, it's just preference, and ability to get parts etc etc etc. So far I have stuck with HPI stuff, and I got two NMT's and I recently picked up a Pirate 10 monster, and that thing tears. It boils down to matter of preference, appearance, and durability. Tmaxx can get hopped up with RPM arms which are garanteed for life, so far no one has done that for the savage. But that isn't going to disuade me from buying a savage in the near future.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:47 AM
j-maxx

which o.s. engine was it
Old 11-02-2003, 10:48 AM
Isphius
My Feedback: (1)

its not scale that matters. Its size. (hypothetical)If the savage is a 1/8th scale model of an s-10 and the tmaxx is a 1/10 scale Ford f-350 diesel, thell be about the same size. And in drag racing its weight that matters most, than traction, than power.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:51 AM
j-maxx

since the t-maxx is lighter than a savage in a drag the t-maxx would win according to what ur saying
Old 11-02-2003, 11:06 AM
studysession

If you read all the Mag's that have compared the 2 trucks over the last year alone. The TMaxx is doing over 40Mph out of box and Savage is doing mid to high 30's out of box. This is the original Savage not the new SS. The TMaxx in each write up out performs the Savage in the drags everytime. Take off and top end. That is because the TMaxx is geared for very high end speeds. The Savage is geared for more torque and pulling power for some serious bashing and rock crawling. The Savage does have more weight.

The TMaxx is 1/10 - even putting a bigger engine in it does not change it to 1/8 scale. It is still 1/10 with a big engine.

Most any 1/8 scales are going to have thicker and stronger parts than the TMaxx out of the box.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.