Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

New monster truck! Suggestions please

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

New monster truck! Suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 02:14 AM
simplythi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New monster truck! Suggestions please

Hello RC fans, I just got into the monster truck madness after 3 years of racing 1/10 scale race cars. I just bought a mammoth and I dont like it. It cant handle the bashing and hard driving. On the first day I managed to bend borth the front and rear shock towers and broke the front A-Arm. So on a first impression yes this truck rocks because its big and it can go 50+MPH. But the parts bending just threw me off. So I'm in the market for a more reliable. better, stronger monster. Preferably something 1/8th scale. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thing either the savage 25, monster GT or the Cen Genesis
Old 04-23-2004, 03:10 AM
Gizmo420

Default RE: New monster truck! Suggestions please

I read a favorible reveiw of the MGT in a recent mag(forget wich one)
Old 04-23-2004, 06:55 AM
ammdrew

FG Monster truck due out mid may. 1/6th very durable based on the proven Marder easily goes 50mph, puts up with a ton of abuse.

www.molzermoweryracing.com check the dealer page and call for info.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:48 AM
lordmeatball

These posts usually turn into a flame war of which truck is the best. I am new to this scene, and probably can't offer much info. It seems from your description, the MonsterGT or Savage would be good choices. I noticed you didn't mention t-maxx as an option. The t-maxx seems to be VERY popular, and has alot of hobby store support. I would bet that Savage would be a close second for support. So if LHS support helps, the savage would be a good choice. The MonsterGT is relatively new, I don't see alot of stuff for it in any of the LHS's, YET.

I don't know much about the Genesis, besides that it is BIG. Doesn't hold much interest for me. It is hard enough to find enough open space for a 40 MPH 1/10th scale, nevermind that beast. I would rather have something that I can raced friends with. That thing is in class by itself.

Another truck that might be of interest to you, is the GS Racing Storm SUT. I see as many of these in the LHS as I see MonsterGT's. You mentioned that you raced cars, and if you ever want to race this truck, it would be a good starting point. The truck is basically a modified racing buggy. So it is a cross between a buggy and a truck, truggy. There are things I don't know about it though. I wish I knew someone who owned one, because I am thinking about replacing my t-maxx with a Storm SUT. One question would be it's backyard-bashing capabilities. It sits lower than most Monsters, it handles better, but might not be able to climb over some stuff. The other question I have about it is parts availibility.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:53 PM
ThermalRD

It seems like those problems with the Mammoth are common. I've read that mammoth forum, and they all seem to bend, and replace those towers. Upgrading to the 5 mm towers will help, but i hear once you've done that, other parts break. I've never owned a mammoth, so i cant really comment on it, much more than what i've read. I have been thinking about getting one though. Now, back to your original question, if you want durability, you cant beat the savage. Especially if you want a large truck. I owned a monster GT, and it was pretty nice on the track. Dont think its a basher though, because its not. I wont sit here talking bad about it, but you can go read the monster****rum.com, or monstergt.com. There are alot of complaints about broken suspension arms, and other plastic, and tranny problems. Im not saying its a bad truck, im saying 500 dollars is a little steep for it. I sold my mgt because it couldnt go thru a single days run without breaking. My savage on the other hand has seen many runs without breaking a single part. The Genesis i hope to know more about after the RCX thats going on now. However, only real world use will tell how good something really is. If you sell your mammoth send me a PM, i might be interested.

Matt
ORIGINAL: simplythi

Hello RC fans, I just got into the monster truck madness after 3 years of racing 1/10 scale race cars. I just bought a mammoth and I dont like it. It cant handle the bashing and hard driving. On the first day I managed to bend borth the front and rear shock towers and broke the front A-Arm. So on a first impression yes this truck rocks because its big and it can go 50+MPH. But the parts bending just threw me off. So I'm in the market for a more reliable. better, stronger monster. Preferably something 1/8th scale. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thing either the savage 25, monster GT or the Cen Genesis
Old 04-23-2004, 03:01 PM
Mxracer45

He must be hitting jumps at top speed bhecause the vid of the stock mammoth at www.hobbypeople.net does about 10ft in the air about 5 times in a row and drives away fine.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:00 PM
simplythi

well i hit a curb going 40 and it bent the front shock tower and broke the lower control arm. I jump ramps and everything and did a flip and it bent the back shock tower. It would be great if the shock towers were thicker and stronger. I might get the savage seeing as how it is meant for rough play. Thats how a monster truck is suppose to be built. I'm hoping the genesis will come out soon because from what I have read it seems to be a pretty good trucl. Hopefully it will live up to its words. We will see, but I will list my mammoth up for sale in a few days after I replace the shock towers and control arm.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:02 PM
popuptoaster

the newer MGT's are tougher than the first, they have a stronger gear in the tranny, better quality control so there is locktite where there is supposed to be, and the suspension arms now have more webbing on em for extra strength.

The savage is definatly a tough truck though, but the mgt handles and jumps much better so its quicker round a track, and whatever the on official speed figures say, on anything rougher than flat grass or pavement, the mgt is faster as it soaks up bumps better.

so it depends what you want really, the savage is harder to break, so probably better for bashing.

I personally changed my BFT's steering knuckles for aluminium ones, and i keep a stock of spare lower suspension arms, they are only cheap, and if you fitt stronger ones, the truck breaks more expensive parts instead.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:21 AM
Tweedybird

I'm getting a mammoth, can anyone reccomend some nice upgraded shock towers to buy before I even start using it?

a site listing will be great too. thanks.

Tweedy bird
Old 05-10-2004, 08:24 AM
Tweedybird

I apologize for the previous post I already have the new shock tower in the my list of upgrades to buy
Thanks anyway

Tweedy Bird