Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Best Monster Truck for Racing????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Best Monster Truck for Racing????

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 08:09 PM
JDRACING

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Monster Truck for Racing????

I currently race OFF ROAD 1/10 stadium trucks and 1/8 scale buggies. Would like to get into Monster Trucks, however, I do not know much about them. Which truck would you suggest I buy to race?
Old 04-24-2004, 08:40 PM
UNCDROCK57

Default RE: Best Monster Truck for Racing????

Do you want a traditional MT such as the Savage, T maxx, MGT, Losi LST or do you want a truggie such as the GS SUT, or the Mammoth or Ofna DOM?
Old 04-24-2004, 08:44 PM
hmsmike

Well 2cents worth is the MGT for a Track that doesn't really have long straights...... The MGT is probabley the best handling truck on the market with its size. You can just about race it straight out of the box ...... might wanna kick those fake piggy back shocks for some higher quality alum. ones. Very Durable as well!!!! [sm=thumbup.gif] However I am not knocking any other brand but I just bought my MGT and this truck is AWESOME!!!!!
Old 04-24-2004, 10:09 PM
crazypyro013

ur sweet set of racing trucks, needing minor upgrades is limited to:

Associated MGT
XTM Mammoth
Losi LST
Traxxas Revo/T-Maxx
GS Storm SUT

don't get me wrong any truck can become a racer, those just need less work then others
Old 04-24-2004, 10:21 PM
ThermalRD

Man, it all depends on your driving style, and the tracks you plan on driving on. Those truggies, like the GS SUT really can drift thru sweeper turns, and in general dominate thru traffic. However, the design leaves it bouncy, and out of control on the rough sections. A monster GT, or LST will dominate in that rough stuff. Simply because of the size, and weight. With that said, im faster on my local track with my savage than my MGT. That is before i sold the MGT. If you arent racing competitively, or seriously i should say, then just buy the truck that interests you the most. Get a good set of tires for your track, and just enjoy it. There are soo many choices now, that everybody has their own favorite, and plenty of opinions.

Matt
Old 04-24-2004, 11:28 PM
Vintage_Duff

the new traxxas REVO seem to be a good racer
Old 04-24-2004, 11:47 PM
fhm101

If you want to race unlimited, either the Bergonzoni or GS. Until OFNA releases it's converted Hyper, those are the only turnkey unlimited trucks that are serious contenders. For a production truck, it's either a Pro Hobby Racing Faze 5, or wait for the new Traxxas truck.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:12 AM
Smokinjoe6450
My Feedback: (6)

All of the MTs are great for different things. Which do you prefer the most? Torque? Top Speed? Handeling? Durability? Good at all but great at nothing?

On a big open track I would get one of the truggies (SUT, Mammoth.....), I personally have a Mammoth and love it. On a really tight track it will get whipped by a truck with lots of torque, so if you race on a tight track I would go with a more traditional MT (LST, MGT, Savage.......)

I would go to the track where you are going to race and see what is allowed and how the track is laid out and base my decision on that. It really is a hard choice.....heck get a couple of different ones if you can!!
Old 04-25-2004, 10:38 AM
Element

ORIGINAL: crazypyro013

ur sweet set of racing trucks, needing minor upgrades is limited to:

Associated MGT
XTM Mammoth
Losi LST
Traxxas Revo/T-Maxx
GS Storm SUT

don't get me wrong any truck can become a racer, those just need less work then others
You forgeting the mt2!

For $300 you get a truck that has proven itself in racing STOCK! But for antoher $100 (so the total would be $400 the cost of most other trucks rtr) you can get a truck that will dominate at the track.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:49 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

It looks like more tracks are going to have 2 MT classes
Stock 2speed for t-maxx, savage, etc
and
Unlimited MT GS SUT ,Dominator and other Conversions with single speed.

By far the Truggies are better on the track, tight or Wide open

I've been running a Dominator for about a year now, It pertty much Dominates the T-maxx and other stock 2-speed trucks on the track, But I get killed by the guys with the conversions. Mostly because they are better drivers than me. The guys that show up with stock trucks are less experianced racers

My choice from what's currently on the market would be the GS SUT. All you really have to do to this truck is clean the grease out and re-oil the Diffs and you're "Ready to Race"

I just Converted my old H7 RTR with a Dominator spool, Can't wait to drive it on the track Tuesday night
Old 04-25-2004, 12:06 PM
vizaracer

i think the savage handles pretty good on the track after a few mods. the stock tires make it handle pretty bad on the dirt.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:16 PM
Maxx Trooper

After reading different reviews, seeing pics and vids, i really like the look of the new TRAXXAS REVO. i think its gona be as big as the t-maxx was when it first came out.

later
Old 04-25-2004, 08:05 PM
oVeRdR!Ve

yeah.. the revo looks like a buggy with big tires... but it also looks like a good racer.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:15 PM
MAMMOTH TOUGH

I will not sugest a revo cuz nobody has any real experience with it but i will sugest the Mammoth it is an awesome truck and in the unlimited class it was a serious contender it was actually way ahead till a grub screw came out (driver error) and remember this was a stock truck RTR going right into the unlimited class (alot of tracks classify it as an unlimited truck) this is something to consider too so find out the rules at the track you want to race at and go from there!
Old 04-26-2004, 10:12 AM
fhm101

ORIGINAL: oVeRdR!Ve

yeah.. the revo looks like a buggy with big tires... but it also looks like a good racer.
Which buggy would that be? I've never seen a buggy with laydown shocks and 12" of suspension articulation.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:05 AM
Mxracer45

hahahahah Real funny. 12inches of suspension articulation. Ithink not. Maybe 3 at the most
Old 04-26-2004, 11:58 AM
vtl1180ny

It's possable the the linkage setup that you can get 12" of articulation, you are no longer dependant on the shock travel as the limiting factor...

Any of the mentioned trucks will be good for racing but you are going to have to make some changes... Remember, these trucks are mainly designed witht he backyard basher in mind, not racing... The shocks need to go (except on 2 unreleased trucks) the tires need to be changed and various other little things here and there...

The only truck I see coming in the future that the company geared it more towards the racer than the basher is the Traxxas Revo... The only major mod I see it needing will cost you $10-15 and a cut off wheel and that's removing the EZ start... Supposedly that tranny is going to be tweakable via your transmitter... Now, how many bashers are using a synthisized radio??? Honestly, I couldn't live without my 3PK anymore...
Old 04-26-2004, 02:43 PM
motoxer52

storm SUT will blow the doors off of every thing in the monster truck class
Old 04-26-2004, 02:55 PM
Mxracer45

HAHAHAHAHA thats what u think........ Dominater will kill storm. It also depends on the driver.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:37 PM
crazypyro013

just like to add about the revo, for it to have 12in of articulation(1ft) some hefty shock work needs to be done

and another thing, someone has said that the cantilever for the Revo, is a bit weak and looks to break, so it would need beefing
Old 04-26-2004, 05:39 PM
fhm101

ORIGINAL: Mxracer45

hahahahah Real funny. 12inches of suspension articulation. Ithink not. Maybe 3 at the most
I stand corrected. When I first read the info on the truck i thought I remembered the articulation listed as 12 inches when it was in fact listed as 120mm which works out to 4.72"
Old 04-26-2004, 06:02 PM
fhm101

HAHAHAHAHA thats what u think........ Dominater will kill storm. It also depends on the driver.
I've been racing MT for a few years now and the two biggest jokes around the track are the Savage and Dominator. I've seen many folks try to make these two trucks into serious contenders, spending major money and time only to give up in the end. Don't get me wrong, both are nice trucks for fun, but the Savage suffers from design limitations and the dom driveline (especially the diffs) is too fragile to stand up to the strain of racing. The only person I've ever seen do well with Dom is a lady from California that races one. Of course you have to keep in mind that both front and rear diffs/bulkheads on her truck are one off custom units so they stay together long enough to finish a race. Did I mention she also runs the full T Maxx suspension setup on her truck? Further proof of the Dom and it's problems are the fact that OFNA's top driver/R&D man is currently working on a truck version of the Hyper 7 for release to the public. What's remarkable about this is that he started with the Dom when it first came out and was doing real well, but quit racing it because they could never get the diffs to last long enough to finish a long main.
While i would usually agree that the driver is a major part of any winning equation, where the Dom and Savage are concerned, sadly enough the truck is the limiting factor.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:08 PM
vtl1180ny

Remember, none of these trucks are designed with racing in mind... They are Monster Trucks not stadium trucks... If you want to race you have to deal with the design limitations... They are marketed towards the backyard basher, but people decided they wanted to race them... Me personally, I race TC's and ST's, my MT's are my beat around the house vehicles... You'll never see me run my T4 in the street or take it out just to bash...
Old 04-26-2004, 08:01 PM
vizaracer

ORIGINAL: fhm101

I've been racing MT for a few years now and the two biggest jokes around the track are the Savage and Dominator. I've seen many folks try to make these two trucks into serious contenders, spending major money and time only to give up in the end. Don't get me wrong, both are nice trucks for fun, but the Savage suffers from design limitations and the dom driveline (especially the diffs) is too fragile to stand up to the strain of racing. The only person I've ever seen do well with Dom is a lady from California that races one. Of course you have to keep in mind that both front and rear diffs/bulkheads on her truck are one off custom units so they stay together long enough to finish a race. Did I mention she also runs the full T Maxx suspension setup on her truck? Further proof of the Dom and it's problems are the fact that OFNA's top driver/R&D man is currently working on a truck version of the Hyper 7 for release to the public. What's remarkable about this is that he started with the Dom when it first came out and was doing real well, but quit racing it because they could never get the diffs to last long enough to finish a long main.
While i would usually agree that the driver is a major part of any winning equation, where the Dom and Savage are concerned, sadly enough the truck is the limiting factor.
i vouch that a savage is a good race truck. i race mine and win races. it handles great on the track and does not lean much in the turns and can beat t-maxxes and other trucks in accel.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:33 PM
oVeRdR!Ve

yeah.. id have to back him up... my savage cleans the tmaxxes on my track and its mostly stock.. airsaver/tires/4shoe are about the only mods i have (i have dif susp but it doesnt make a difference and a bit of allum.) and i didnt mean the revo is a buggy just LIKE one, doesnt look like a monster truck because its really low dosnt have much travel and is obviously built for racing vs all the other trucks which are built for bashing..... and from looking at the video id say its pretty fast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.