Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

cen mt2 problem!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 02:49 PM
bonified5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cen mt2 problem!!!!

My mt2 wont shift and i have been messing with the needles. I am not sure which one to mess with. I give it gas then it speeds up and bogs down. Also, whever i press the brakes it turns off. I need to know where the low speed needle needs to be and if the idle has anything to do with it. I need to know the low speed nedle stock setting. Thanks alot.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:52 PM
mecky33

Default RE: cen mt2 problem!!!!

If, when you push on the brake, the engine dies you need to reset your throttle trim on the remote. watch the carb as you do this to make sure the throttle trim is set so the carb is closing. Adjust the trim until the carb doesnt close any more.

Stock needle settings are, HSN 3 1/2 turns out, LSN flush with housing. Idle screw should be set so that the carb barrel has 1mm gap. Now, since when you give your truck gas it speeds up then bogs down, the HSN is most likely lean. Turn it clock wise a quarter turn and see if that helps. Watch your temps to make sure you dont overheat the engine. Max temp you should run at is 280. To help with tuning, I would recommend you reset your needles to factory spec and then start tuning from there. To tell if you are rich or lean, listen to the engine. It will have a deeper tone and harder pull when it is flooded. It will have a really easy pull and light tone when its lean. Once you get it close to where it will start, it will start sounding metalic. Usually when it sounds like this the mixture is a little lean and if you richen it up it should start right up. Once you get it going, let it idle for a minute or so then decide whether its idling to high or not. it should idle right above the point where it will die if it idles to long.

This should get you started, Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:11 PM
bonified5

ok thanks alot
Old 04-26-2004, 05:59 PM
troylin

I am also having a tuning problem. The rpms will not peak enough to shift. When I first got the mt2 4/3 I broke it in tuned it and it ran & shifted correctly but only for a 1 tank. I contacted cen they said it needed a new piston & sleeve got it broke it in again but the performance did'nt improve. The piston does not seem to have any pinch at TDC with plug out. The temp has not went over 200. If I lean it out then it bogs at WOT. I posted this prob last week and checked the carb, opens all the way and the running gear is free. I would like to send it back to cen for warrenty repair. Will they repair it? Or am I missing somethig?
Old 04-27-2004, 01:57 PM
mecky33

troylin, reset your needles to factory and retune it. I have run the NT16 engine as hot as 300 degrees without the engine misfiring or destroying itself. I didnt even know the engine was that hot until I pulled it in and looked at the temp guage. It definitely sounds like a tuning error. Let me know if you are still having problems after retuning it and I will see what else I can think of. Then, if I cant help you, send it in for them to look at.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:36 PM
troylin

Thanks Mecky, I will try again. Does your motor have any pinch at top of stroke with plug out? I checked my rc10gt and it does & runs perfect lots of power.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:53 PM
nitromacguyver

you may have unintentionally done the damage yourself by, belive it or not, running it too cool. the engine is designed so that at room tempurature the sleeve is tapered at the top. when it heats up and gets hotter at the top of the sleeve, it expands and the sleeve is nearly straight. so by running the engine too cool, it is too tight and the piston and sleeve experiance greatly increased wear. also there is not much pinch at the top of the stroke so it is hard to tell if the sleeve and piston are worn by feel.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:28 PM
mecky33

It does still pinch, but the Cen motors dont have a really really tight pinch to them even when brand new.