Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

best way to tune a monster truck?..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

best way to tune a monster truck?..

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 10:03 AM
hansdava

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best way to tune a monster truck?..

anyone could tell me how to break in a monster truck, i just got my mammoth RTR and i would like to know what is the best way to break it in......thanks.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:08 AM
hansdava

Default RE: best way to tune a monster truck?..

Old 04-29-2004, 10:42 AM
ThermalRD

The best answer is going to be "read the manual". Break in procedures are VERY opinionated. Years ago i would never have thought a company would recommend a WOT breakin. Some time last year i had read an article about doing exactly that, WOT breakins. I always swore i would never try it, just seemed too crazy to me. Now i picked up my Fantom .27 the other day, and wouldnt ya know it....It recommends a WOT breakin. If i were you, i would just read the manual, and do as it says.

Matt
ORIGINAL: hansdava

anyone could tell me how to break in a monster truck, i just got my mammoth RTR and i would like to know what is the best way to break it in......thanks.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:50 AM
vtl1180ny

My Sirio reccomended driving through a quart with the engine 2 turns rich on the high and 1 turn rich on the low... That's really rich...

Read the manual, watch the temperature and don't try to lean it out to much... If you are ever in doubt, stop the truck and reset the screws back to factory specs...
Old 04-29-2004, 11:02 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Break in per the manual like they said. I happen to know the 24.7 motor in the Mammoth comes with good directions for break in. Follow them to a T... No sense in deviation. If I am not mistaken, the 24.7 calls for short blips on the throttle in 2-3 minute increments with 5 minutes in between increments, while leaning a little each time, until there are 30 minutes or so on the motor (10 cycles). When you are dialed in, don't over lean it. Get yourself a temp gun if you can.

Works like a charm. My 24.7 ran AWESOME!

Key points to remember-

1. (broken record) Follow Directions

2. You will lean the motor by turning the needles IN (clockwise); You will richen the motor by turning the needles out (counter clockwise).

3. Keep some spare glow plugs - McCoy MC-59 or OS A-3 or OS A-8's. I fouled 2 glow plugs while breaking in my 24.7. No biggie there. I NEVER had luck with the McCoy MC-9 after break in, even though XTM recommends them. An OS A-8 worked AWESOME for me.

4. Use a fuel with a higher oil content (20% nitro with ~18% oil content) Traxxas Top Fuel is AWESOME for breaking it in.

5. The 24.7 AFTER break in likes lower oil content fuels (20% nitro with ~12-13% oil) like Trinity Monster HP. I didn't have much luck with Top Fuel after break in with the 24.7. I noticed a large difference when I went to the Trinity. Some information on XTM's forum site supports this.

Good luck!
Old 04-29-2004, 11:32 AM
Mxracer45

For the xtm engines xtm fuel, sidewinder, hpi power fuel and trinity mh are your best choices. As long as the oil content is 14% or lower u wil be fine
Old 04-29-2004, 01:39 PM
WonderWheels

Well done on buying the Mammoth and very good choice!
Old 04-30-2004, 12:01 AM
hansdava

1)----what is the throttle. the instructions talk about the throttle trigger and also they mention the throttle arm?..... when you talk about throttle what do you exactly mean?..........
2)----also yesterday i tried to brake it in but after a lot tries i finally run my truck(mammoth) and at the end i noticed that my air filter got lost so i started looking around and i found it later and i put it back, did i damaged my engine or nothing happen to it?....today i tried to started , it did start but it shut down by itsef after 5 seconds of running, i did not try again so thats why i'm asking now...thanks for answering
Old 04-30-2004, 09:12 AM
hansdava

.....???????.............
Old 04-30-2004, 09:22 AM
motorpsycho502

Put a zip tie on the filter so it wont fall off. I would suggest getting a book or video for beginers. No offense but it does sound like you dont have much experience with engines. do you have a temperature gauge yet? they make adjusting the high speed needle MUCH SAFER.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:40 AM
hansdava

thanks for answering,yes it it true i'm new in this, but the engine is gonna loose power from now on?..or nothing gonna happen?both questions in the case i find something in it and i take it off
Old 04-30-2004, 09:47 AM
Dale Gribble

Well, if you were running on the street, you are probably just fine. If you were running in the dirt, your motor may have ingested dirt & dust, which will effect the bearings, and potentially scratch the piston/sleeve causing loss of compression.

Do you have a local hobby shop around? No offense, but it looks like you will need some help to really get you to understand the truck and how to run it before you cause any damage to the truck.

When I talk about throttle, I mean the throttle control on the Hitec Radio.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:52 AM
motorpsycho502

Only you can answer if there is dirt in the throat of the carb, then there must be dirt inside also, DO NOT TAKE THE ENGINE APART UNLESS YOU MUST, even if you see some ( a little dust ) just flush it out with fuel. most likely if you seem to have lost some power it is because of your needle setting, how does the compression feel compared to new ?? for break-in keep temp low at 200degrees F, after 4 tanks of rich running, lean out sightly to maintain a temp not higher than 250-280, check temp often as it will lean out as the engine gets hotter. I prefer to have em set so that when you first start it it seems to rich but after a couple of laps it begins to warm up and run better and temp @ 250.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:01 AM
hansdava

thanks a lot for answering bodies, but even if i see dirty and dust in there and i take it away from it, the engine gonna be or have the same power in other words it 's not gonna loose its power?.......i'm gonna take it anyways to my LHS
Old 04-30-2004, 10:03 AM
Dale Gribble

Good idea!!! Good luck! You'll figure it out!
Old 04-30-2004, 10:07 AM
motorpsycho502

If everbody that lost the filter for a short time blew their engine, there probably would not be enough engines to go around. take it to LHS but its prolly fine. untill you get the hang of it, you should run where there are other people to help.