RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Differences between different scale trucks?

Old 05-07-2004, 12:07 PM
germ79

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Differences between different scale trucks?

Hello to all! I am new to Nitro RC Cars and am trying to find the right one for me. I had RC cars growing up, but only the Radio Shack kind. So, getting to the point...

Besides the obvisous size difference, what are the differences between 1/8 and 1/10 scale trucks? I've been reading up on different ones in magazines and on this forum, but can't really decide what's best for me. I'd like to have one I can just rip around the neighborhood in and take out into open fields, etc... and have some fun with. I read some about the Schumacher Menace .21 and it looks really nice. It also goes 70+ mph! However, I've been doing some reading up on the much anticipated REVO and it sounds nice as well. I guess it's top speed is in the neighborhood of 50 mph. Now, I don't want to get a truck only because it is the fastest, but it is always fun to have something fast! I coudn't figure out for a couple days why the REVO is slower, but then I realized that it is a 1/8th truck instead of a 1/10th!

So, what do you guys think? What's more enjoyable, a 1/10th or 1/8th? What are some pros and cons? Also, how do you think the aftermarket will be for the REVO? It seems like there would not be many parts out for it right now because it doesn't seem to share a similar design with current trucks. And one last thing...I've been reading the MANY threads on the REVO and was just wondering...FLAT OUT...is the new deisgn something that is really BETTER than what is out now, or is it just different? Are other companies going to start moving it that direction as well because it is REVOlutionary? I just want to make sure whatever I spend my dough on is something that is going to be nice and will have a good selection of aftermarket parts available for it.

Well, that has all kinds of questions embedded in it, so I'll let you pick and choose! Thanks for all of your help!

Jeremy
Old 05-07-2004, 12:16 PM
Mxracer45

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Differences between different scale trucks?

No, the revo is A 1/10 scale. The menace is so fast becuz its more of a ST then a monster truck. It has a .21 engine and a 3 speed thats why it goes so fast. The revo has a .15 engine and has a 2 speed and it supposedly does 40mph like traxxas's previous mt the tmaxx. If i was you i would take my choices to the 1/10th revo, 1/8 Team associated MGT, 1/8 HPI savage, or 1/8 XTM mammoth.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:58 PM
nitromacguyver

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

this will probably start a flame war but the t maxx is in MHO, a 1/8 sized truck with a 1/10 displacement engine. i have seen one next to my Cen MT2 and there is a large size difference.

any way about which size, 1/10 is generally cheaper but the trucks with the most aftermarket support are the 1/8 scale monster trucks like the tmaxx,mgt, savage ect...
Old 05-07-2004, 10:17 PM
germ79

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok...so I'm still learning! I thought the REVO was a 1/8th truck because it is considerably bigger than the Menace. I guess the Menace is a stadium truck and the REVO is a "Monster truck", huh?!? Well, I've been told recently that the Menace probably wouldn't be quite as good at off-roading, but it is faster truck with better handling. I think I'm leaning toward the REVO at this time, but I'd still like to hear what you all have to say about both trucks.

Thanks everyone!
Jeremy
Old 05-08-2004, 05:30 PM
Spudnik

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

last time i was on tower hobbies, they said that the revo was a 1/8 scale truck, not a 1/10. germ 79 there are many truck out and coming out. Ones to take a look at, the traxxas fleet, the Hpi savage, the mammoth, the mad force (i will be getting one of these soon), titan, Tnx and many others. But buy what you want and have some fun.

Good luck