RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

UPGRARED ENGINE .26, NOW TORE UP DIFFS!!!

Old 05-07-2004, 05:53 PM
rrcjr1972

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default UPGRARED ENGINE .26, NOW TORE UP DIFFS!!!

I JUST UPGRADED TO A PICCO .26 AND IT IS AWESOME. PROBLEM IS I TORE UP THE REAR DIFF. DOES ANY ONE KNOW IF THEY MAKE A SPIDER GEAR MOD FOR THIS AND A LOCATION TO PURCHASE THIS AND BETTER DOG BONES. I TWISTED TWO DOG BONES BEFORE I BLEW THE DIFF.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:41 PM
vtl1180ny

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: UPGRARED ENGINE .26, NOW TORE UP DIFFS!!!

The MGT was designed for that TT 21 and nothing more... BFT my *****!!!

I feel your pain... I put Imax Jumbo's on it, with a Sirio 27 and I've blown the tranny, sheared the hex drive pins and now I hear my front diff going... Crappy thing is the Imex rims are shot, I was spinning the Hex hubs inside the wheels...

On a good note, I contacted Robinson, we should have a new spur/slipper in about 2 months... I've gone through 3 spurs already...
Old 05-09-2004, 09:16 AM
ThermalRD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is some BS. You know, i remember an article in an old magazine that claimed this truck was built for big blocks, and tested with a .50. I want to find that article again, and shove in AE's face. When i read things on the AE website telling people not to upgrade motors, or saying that the truck was not designed for a .26, that just ticks me off. I have already sold my MGT, but it still gets under my skin that this company is selling this truck based on that AE name, and not fixing these problems. I would still own my MGT today if AE would have atleast changed the plastic on that truck. Yet they still like to put the blame on ABUSE, or BAD driving. Sorry, just venting...

Matt
Old 05-09-2004, 12:53 PM
vtl1180ny

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I understand where you're coming from... I've owned a lot of AE vehicles over the years and have been more than happy with them...

The BFT has definitely worn off... Remembere before the release of the truck, everyone was ranting on how this would be the best truck ever built... It's no better than the T-Maxx or Savage... I am a bit dissapointed with the truck, I don't intend to part with it there are things I like about it...

Now we keep seeing the LosiVsRevoVsCEN threads,,,, You have no idea how well the truck will hold up... Just because someone caught a glimpse of it or the best friends brothers cousin works for a guy who knows a guy who works for this company and said it's the best truck out there means crap... The MGT was supposed to be all that and it's not... This isn't coming from a newbie, I've got well over 25 years in this hobby any well over 40k invested over the years...
Old 05-10-2004, 02:29 PM
diirtbag
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

good points but is there a truck out there that can take the power of a .26 or more and not have a problem I know my savage cant with a picco or dynamite they seem to go through drive shafts regularly no matter what one does,as well as any other truck I have .the bft is easy to work on and seems very tough stock,I am scared to upgrade the engine though
Old 05-10-2004, 03:05 PM
ThermalRD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What shafts are you referring to? The bones? The savage HD bones hold up really well. The tranny is the problem with the MGT. And yes, the savage tranny can handle it and alot more. Regardless, this post isnt about the savage. What gets to me is that AE points fingers at bad driving, and .26 sized motors when people post problems on their site. My point is like i stated, AE brags about how tough this truck is (BFT), and then tells customers it was made for the stock .21. I think AE should atleast go thru and fix these problems, and acknowledge them. I would buy AE again if they said they had improved the truck, made things better. But the claim that they made about the "first run" of trucks having some pre-production parts, seems like BS. Go over to the other sites for the MGT, and read all the problems. Im sure alot of these problems come with the SIZE of the vehicle itself. Bigger, Heavier, and gonna put more stress on everything including the tranny. This post does shock me though. I never thought those diffs would go that easy. They looked extremely high quality to me.

Matt
ORIGINAL: ZAD

good points but is there a truck out there that can take the power of a .26 or more and not have a problem I know my savage cant with a picco or dynamite they seem to go through drive shafts regularly no matter what one does,as well as any other truck I have .the bft is easy to work on and seems very tough stock,I am scared to upgrade the engine though
Old 05-10-2004, 04:39 PM
vtl1180ny

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I haven't written AE but I'm starting to think that I should... I feel that AE quality has really dropped over the last 10 or so years... I broke more parts on my T4 than I ever broke on my 10T...
Old 05-10-2004, 04:59 PM
ThermalRD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think you should. In fact, i think all the original AE fans should. I grew up on Tamiya, Kyosho, Traxxas, Bolink, and then got into HPI, and Losi. Having never owned an AE vehicle i was expecting such great things from that company with that truck. I still like the truck, but i cant afford to keep up my collection having a truck like that break soo much every time i run it. So i sold it. There are too many choices out there for me to keep dumping money in plastic for a truck that was already that expensive. I just think the competition makes this MGT look really bad. Dare i say it, but my sons 2.5 maxx has proven to be more durable than my MGT. I just think that if HPI can suck it up, and post recalls on backplates of RTR 25's, and mark boxes with a red X that have been fixed, then surely AE can improve the plastic, and tranny, and any other problem. Until they start doing better, i will spend money on the competition. Having a room full of RC's, and being a life long Monster Truck fanatic, they have let me down, and lost a customer. I've got a LARGE amount invested in this hobby. I've been in this since the Clod buster addiction, and the double dare. God i remember the King Cab, hornet, grass hopper, and the LUNCH BOX!!!! Hehe, ok im done talking vintage now. But those were the kits that got me hooked.

Matt

ORIGINAL: vtl1180ny

I haven't written AE but I'm starting to think that I should... I feel that AE quality has really dropped over the last 10 or so years... I broke more parts on my T4 than I ever broke on my 10T...
Old 05-10-2004, 10:28 PM
diirtbag
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well thermal thats youre opinion from youre experience my experience is the savage isint that tough no matter how you build it ,I have seen many break and fold and I know what they can take and cant the gt is rather new to me ( about a gallon )and so far it is more solid than my savage was stock (for me anyway) Im just saying everything has its weak spots the plus about the gt is when you go big (30+ feet ) the gt wont fold its chassis in half as well as fold the shocks because anyone that runs thier savage hard has done this
Old 05-11-2004, 03:57 AM
theShark

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ThermalRD

That is some BS. You know, i remember an article in an old magazine that claimed this truck was built for big blocks, and tested with a .50. I want to find that article again, and shove in AE's face.

Matt
I remember reading that...it might have been rcca or an interview with one of the designers. I was this close "||" to ordering a mgt this week before I decided to do some research on it and found this thread. I was planning to put a big block .26.....btw ae quality is not as good as people make it out to be, but it is among the best. I had a fox, blackfoot and grasshopper too.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:21 AM
Fast Guy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: theShark

I remember reading that...it might have been rcca or an interview with one of the designers. I was this close "||" to ordering a mgt this week before I decided to do some research on it and found this thread. I was planning to put a big block .26.....btw ae quality is not as good as people make it out to be, but it is among the best. I had a fox, blackfoot and grasshopper too.
Many MGT owners are reporting good success with bigger engines and no problems with the tranny. I had one of the first Savage 21's (too many problems to list) and now one of the flag body MGT's and the MGT is by far a better truck first time out. The MGT also really shines on the track.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:09 PM
rrcjr1972

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK RE-BUILT TRANNY AND EVERYTHING IS WORKING WELL. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS A MGT HOP-UP OR AFTER MARKET SPIDER GEAR DIFF TO BEEF UP THE REAR DIFF, IT IS SKIPPING AT HALF THROTTLE. WOULD REALLY LIKE SPIDERS INSTEAD OF STOCK. PLEASE HELP, IF NOT I WILL PROBABLY SELL THIS TRUCK AND MOVE ON TO COMPETITION.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:06 PM
ThermalRD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think you are confused. The AE diffs already have 4 spider gears inside. If they are blowing on you, then you would need to find a gear from a different manufacturer that fits. Or a whole new diff. The diffs in that MGT are one thing i liked, and hated all at the same time. I loved how they were made. They appeared very strong. On the other hand i hated the fact that you couldnt buy the gears seperate.

Matt
ORIGINAL: rrcjr1972

OK RE-BUILT TRANNY AND EVERYTHING IS WORKING WELL. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS A MGT HOP-UP OR AFTER MARKET SPIDER GEAR DIFF TO BEEF UP THE REAR DIFF, IT IS SKIPPING AT HALF THROTTLE. WOULD REALLY LIKE SPIDERS INSTEAD OF STOCK. PLEASE HELP, IF NOT I WILL PROBABLY SELL THIS TRUCK AND MOVE ON TO COMPETITION.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:35 PM
undertaker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

how many tanks did it take you to rip up the diffs? I've got a good 10-12 through my stock diffs, slipper, spur etc. with a RB 28 with no problems at all, and this is on 40's half asphalt, half donuts, grass and dirt. I don't let off the throttle when the truck is in the air either, and a few tanks were spent taking turns with buddies seeing who could keep it up the longest..
Old 05-20-2004, 07:22 AM
rcblaze

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How is your's holding up to the power. My buddy is about to upgrade to a Fantom .27 and we are wondering if he may need to be aware of anything?
ORIGINAL: undertaker

how many tanks did it take you to rip up the diffs? I've got a good 10-12 through my stock diffs, slipper, spur etc. with a RB 28 with no problems at all, and this is on 40's half asphalt, half donuts, grass and dirt. I don't let off the throttle when the truck is in the air either, and a few tanks were spent taking turns with buddies seeing who could keep it up the longest..
Old 05-20-2004, 12:53 PM
popuptoaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I cant believe everyone moans when they uprate things and something else breaks! what the hell do you expect, you dont drop a big block turbo motor in you 1:1 honda civic and expect the gearbox to survive do you? even though Honda test their cars to more extreme standards than your likely to see out on the normal roads., you still know you need matching parts, see sense guys!
Old 05-22-2004, 01:48 AM
poobajanka

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hell ya popuptoaster you said it perfectly
Old 05-23-2004, 07:39 AM
madmaniac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes there is, the mad force can handle most of the engines out there even the pro 70.
But then if you do upgrade to a bigger engine in the MF you are going to do wheelies all the time, with my os 21rg-x(p) in my mad force i cant keep the front wheels down thios truck is very strong and can handle some abuse.

thermal you do agree?? dont you i know that you liked your mad force much.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:34 PM
ThermalRD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Madmaniac, i definitely agree. I dont post here often, or on the other MGT forums. There are too many AE fanatics, that without a doubt will look past any flaw that the vehicle might have, and completely bash anybody with a problem. When i owned my MGT i helped everyone that had problems with it. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to see that there are ALOT of people out there with problems. For example, ask RPM why they make parts for the MGT. Its not a horrible truck, but its not the AE quality i was told about either. Just go to the AE site and read the MGT talk forum. You'll see all the complaints there. Even more than the truck itself, AE lost a customer simply by responding to people the way they do on that forum. For the record, there are plenty of trucks that handle .26 power. The mammoth comes with a very strong motor. The mad force easily handles the power, as well as the savage. I've even seen dominators modded for .70 TTR motors. Like i mentioned before though, i always thought the MGT's diffs were a strong point in the truck. I never would have imagined they would blow out like that. In all fairness though, my trucks suspension was really dialed in. I never had to land with the throttle wide open.

Matt
ORIGINAL: madmaniac

Yes there is, the mad force can handle most of the engines out there even the pro 70.
But then if you do upgrade to a bigger engine in the MF you are going to do wheelies all the time, with my os 21rg-x(p) in my mad force i cant keep the front wheels down thios truck is very strong and can handle some abuse.

thermal you do agree?? dont you i know that you liked your mad force much.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:46 PM
fourwheeler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thermal, what was your suspension set-up? I just put on the red springs and changed to 50 wt shock oil. I am still using the 3 hole shock pistons.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:55 PM
ThermalRD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Before the FOC.
Front
red springs
2hole pistons
45 wt shock oil

Rear
gold springs
3 hole pistons
40 wt shock oil

After the FOC.
Front
gold springs
2 hole pistons
40 wt

Rear
gold springs
3 hole pistons
40 wt
ORIGINAL: fourwheeler

Thermal, what was your suspension set-up? I just put on the red springs and changed to 50 wt shock oil. I am still using the 3 hole shock pistons.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:05 AM
madmaniac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Damn i cant decide im either going to get the team losi LST or the┬┤thunder tiger MTA4(Monster GT)

-Thermal was the monster GT really that bad because on a swedish site you can buy the gearing to get it up 45+ mph.
Do you think the problems are corrected on the new versions, i dont even know if the Thunder Tiger version have these problems??
Old 05-24-2004, 12:03 PM
ThermalRD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Madmaniac, you've got a PM. Honestly, i dont see how they could have corrected anything. Doesnt really seem like they ever admitted to being any flaws. It will take a hardcore AE fanatic to buy an MGT at that high price if the LST, or Revo prove to be of better quality.

ORIGINAL: madmaniac

Damn i cant decide im either going to get the team losi LST or the┬┤thunder tiger MTA4(Monster GT)

-Thermal was the monster GT really that bad because on a swedish site you can buy the gearing to get it up 45+ mph.
Do you think the problems are corrected on the new versions, i dont even know if the Thunder Tiger version have these problems??
Old 05-24-2004, 07:36 PM
fourwheeler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As usual Thermal you are alot of help. Thanks alot man.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:46 PM
ThermalRD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You're welcome. I always try to help when i can.

ORIGINAL: fourwheeler

As usual Thermal you are alot of help. Thanks alot man.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service