Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 06:04 AM
jet6619

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one?

Ok Im getting a monster truck but there are so many to choose from. I've narrowed it down to HPI savage 25,Traxxas T-maxx, and The XTM Mammoth. Which one is recommended?
Old 05-06-2004, 07:16 AM
zimzalahbim
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Which one?

i have also been contemplating the purchase of a monster, and have not had the opportunity to see anyone of the trucks you mentioned in action before last weekend. since then, i have seen the savage 25 and t-maxx, and i must say that the savage was tough and fast. i don't know if the t-maxx's engine was broken in poorly or abused, but it looked brand new, the driver was a jack*****, and the savage was running circles around t-maxx. the t-maxx, when stopped, was bucking and making a horrible plastic gear trying to strip noise. there is no question which one i would buy between those two trucks after seeing them in action. all the magazines, and even the savage owners said the t-maxx was a good truck, but from what i saw, the savage is the way to go. i think i have decided not to but a truck at all, opting to buy an RB Concepts engine for my hyper 7. hope this helps you out a little.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:13 AM
hansdava

here they are in order:
mammoth (fastest RTR 52 MPH) 1/8 scale
associated GT (most durable 35-39 MPH) 1/8 scale
savage 25 (durable 38-41 MPH) 1/8 scale
t max(good truck 40-+...MPH) 1/10 scale
tnx......(good truck 40 +....MPH) 1/10 scale
Old 05-06-2004, 09:32 AM
mnsavage

ORIGINAL: jet6619

Ok Im getting a monster truck but there are so many to choose from. I've narrowed it down to HPI savage 25,Traxxas T-maxx, and The XTM Mammoth. Which one is recommended?
What do you want to do with it? The XTM is super fast, as has been stated, but few people need 52mph in an MT and it takes quite a while to get to that speed. The T-Maxx is the fastest accelerating with still a nice top speed, but it's not very tough. The MGT is relatively slow from what I've read, but still plenty powerful to be loads of fun. The Savage is the most durable truck I've ever seen and me and my friend have put ours through hell and they keep coming back for more. Pretty fast, loads of fun.

But if you want to race, the Maxx and Mammoth are slightly better suited for it out of the box, but the MGT and Savage can be made into good racers as well.

All of those trucks are recommended by someone somewhere, you just have to decide which points are the most important between speed, acceleration, durability, reverse, electric start, race-ability, etc. And don't forget parts support! If your LHS doesn't have XTM parts on hand (for instance), that takes away some of the fun of owndership!
Old 05-06-2004, 09:35 AM
hansdava

that's true...
Old 05-06-2004, 09:50 AM
tidus10

i dont like the traxx tmaxx 1/10 MT it doesnt seem to have the go power my dad just baught his and my TQ will out perform it anyday...they only cool things are...

A) soft suspencion
B) pulls wheelies :-p
C) flips easily
D) takes a while to break in
Old 05-08-2004, 05:35 PM
Tweedybird

Can anyone list upgrade parts to purchase when I buy the RTR Mammoth
so I can upgrade as soon as I get the box home?

and should I replace the radio, since I see myself buying a second MT soon after I purchase the mammoth?

I'm also thinking of picking up a second 24/7 when I buy the kit as well.

Any suggestions?

The Undecided

Tweedy Bird