Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Monster GT or XTM Mammoth?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 03:04 PM
Skagen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster GT or XTM Mammoth?

Trying to decide between a Monster GT or XTM Mammoth. I like the Monster GT because I heard from a few people that it is very durable but does not have a high top speed. (Around 34 MPH) I like the XTM because it has a high top speed, but the shock towers break easily and the starter cord isn't the greatest quality. (Even though it can be changed with a Savage's roto start.) I will not be racing, just bashing.

Any recommendations and reasons why? Any experience with either truck? I currently have a Terra Crusher which I think is great, but as you all know, the stock motor is nonsense and the transmission isn't the greatest. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2004, 04:16 PM
ThermalRD

Default RE: Monster GT or XTM Mammoth?

I cant say anything about the mammoth. Other than i think it looks silly with that extremely LOOOONG body on there. I did however just sell my MGT. It has some really strong points. The chassis is strong, the truck is easy to work on, and the engine is very friendly. I did however find that the CVD's are extremely picky to build, and like to fall apart, or break pins if over tightened. I broke body posts, shock towers, knuckles, skids, bumpers, and extensions all in my last 3 runs with the truck. I think the plastic needs a serious change (RPM), but the truck is great on a track. I also wasnt real excited about having to change all that plastic to RPM plastic on an already 500 dollar truck. The MGT is right for some people, but really didnt live up to the AE reputation i had heard about.

Matt
Old 03-30-2004, 06:07 PM
sn0wrider
My Feedback: (1)

get the mammoth, its fast and bigger, plus its cheaper!
Old 03-30-2004, 06:12 PM
Mxracer45

Well the xtm 24-7 engine is very reliable. High horsepower also. (2.6) The mammoths shocktowers dont break they bend a little and can easily be bent back withpliers. Also you cant beagt the deal $ on it! The mgt is really slow 32mph compared to the mammoth's 52mph. I would say mammoth
Old 03-30-2004, 07:50 PM
RCmammoth

i am a newb and just got a mammoth few weeks ago. so for i love it. started out a little bad but probably just from my newbness. its very easy to break in. oinly thing i have broke was the top front suspension arm. (totally my fault) replaced with aluminum. id say go with the mammoth. Its an awesome truck and i love it
Old 03-30-2004, 10:11 PM
Dr.Weasel

I personally have never seen the mammoth run so this is just word of mouth.
I was down at the lhs and the owner said "mammoths have nothing off the line and handle like *****"[X(] is this true? Because i think the mammoth is a smashing deal from what i have heard on the forums.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:56 PM
Evileagle

The mammoth has a truggy-like suspension, I dont see how it could have any worse handling than an MGT. For a race-ready MT, the mammoth probably requires the least modification than any other MT, 8 aluminum shocks, no reverse, 52 mph top speed, tripple disc brakes. From what I've heard, the xtm .247 engine has a great powerband and awesome torque so the tall gear ratio shouldnt be that much of a problem.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:51 AM
MAMMOTH TOUGH

Ok i have to set this mammoth thing strait... 4 disk brake not 3....adjustable shocks (spring tension) Handles better then a savage or a t-maxx there are alot of hop ups for it (carbon fiber or 5mm alum shock towers) if this truck has a weekness that cant be a easy fix i have yet to find it ...oh wait there is a problem it will not pull wheelies! but in a short srait it will pull on a savage and t-maxx. I only wish i had all 3 of the trucks!
Old 03-31-2004, 07:30 AM
rcblaze

I 2 am in the market for another truck. And the mammoth is a great deal from the looks of it. For 350 - 400 it is easy to set up for track purposes. The MGT I have to say seeing this truck run is what made me want a new truck it handles really good on a track with minimal mods. For the money I'd say the mammoth is worth it. I'm gonna try one out.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:31 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the Mammoth is sloww off the line, i have both a savage and a Mammoth...the mammoth handles better, but wont off road near as well, it wont even climb a curb...but in a steep hill climb the mammoth wins because it wont go over backwards......my biggest complaint with the mammoth is its off the line performance and it way too tall gearing, it serves no purpose for a MT to be soo overgeared, with better gearing the mammoth will be alot better.....my savage has the 24/7 pro......i run a 16/52 combo and in a side by side race the savge smokes the Mammoth hard almost doubling the distance in 3 seconds and the Mammoth never catching up.......but against a stock s-25 the savage will take the early lead and the mammoth will catch and pass the savage(at this time the mammoth was stuck in first gear only and it still was faster then the savage) all in all i like the savage better as a all around truck. the Mammoth will be better on the track. but the stock savage motor stinks compared to the XTM......the mammoths biggest complaint from me is it stupid tall gearing, and its stupid huge spur gear(no trans for gear reduction)
Old 03-31-2004, 01:18 PM
ShOzz

you must remember though that at bigger track events the mammoth is being considered an illegal truck to run, same as the truggies.

at a local club race you will most likely be ok to run it though.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:47 PM
Mxracer45

Ok the mammoth has 3 DISK BRAKES! NOT 4. Like i said. I would go with mammoth becasue of its quality engine and i like xtm.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:23 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

I think I may get a Mammoth soon... Tomorrow even... It has it's weak spots, but I think the aftermarket will take care of those quickly. The 24.7 is a screamer- it has a great balance of low and high end, it tunes easy, holds a tune well, and is supported well. Ya, the pull starter sucks, but remember an Ofna pull starter is a direct bolt on too.

XTM is really keeping their foot in the gas as far as kit releases and new products, and a Mammoth at what, $369? that is a winner.

I'll put it this way. I have a Maxx, Savage and Mad Force, and the MGT seems like more of the same to me. The Mammoth seems different enough to be tons of fun which is why I think I will get one.

Besides, for those complaining about the low end, I am sure optional gearing will be available soon.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:27 PM
supertib

i agree with you its a good truck but it desparately needs better gearing......but maybe on the roll the gears ratios work well i dont know...bug XTM for some gears....and i am going to put my pro in the mamoth to see how it performs, it seems alot stronger then the 24/7
Old 03-31-2004, 09:25 PM
Nevadastars

ORIGINAL: supertib

i agree with you its a good truck but it desparately needs better gearing......but maybe on the roll the gears ratios work well i dont know...bug XTM for some gears....and i am going to put my pro in the mamoth to see how it performs, it seems alot stronger then the 24/7
Are you saying it needs lower gearing? Just curious, because my Mammoth has plenty of bottom end grunt. Taller gearing would give it even more insane top speeds. [sm=eek.gif]
What "pro" engine are you talking about? Naturally, a $300+ race motor will have more power than a stock RTR engine.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:47 PM
Mxracer45

I do not agree. From the videos i have seen of the mammoth(about 5) the acceleration aint so bad.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:01 PM
supertib

i run the XTM 24/7 pro, and compared to other trucks the mamoth accelerates slower, sorry but i have both trucks and run them all the time, when you race them side by side you see the true comparison and the mamoth is overgeared...and who needs more gear the stock motor will not be able to go any faster anyways it lacks the power to pull rpm with any more gear
Old 04-01-2004, 03:53 PM
SH ByA

I find it funny that you say its slow off the line. I have both a Savage with an Outlaw .26 and the stock Mammoth, and a friend of mine has the Mammoth (stock) and a BB XTM converted T-maxx. I will admit that both the Savage and the T-maxx will take my Mammoth off the line, but within 4-5 seconds the Mammoth has blasted past both other trucks never to be caught till the end of the race. [8D] The 24/7 in the mammoth is a great motor. Both the Maxx and Savage are great strong trucks, and The Mammoth will not pull a wheelie, but with its handling and speed it makes it a blast to play with. I love to outrun other trucks and even some cars down my street with it. I think the Only problem with it is the weak shock towers, but that is an easy fix.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:25 PM
supertib

maybe my xtm pro is faster then your pico?? and my buddies t-maxx is geared taller....as my mammoth will not even come close to my savage, savage has 50 ft lead within 5 seconds easily . anyways i would like it geared lower even if it is faster on top, what motor does your buddy run in the maxx a 8 port??? cuz my buddies maxx stomps my mammoth bad, 9lb truck with a XTM 24/7 fast as hell nearly unstable lol can we say big block vega?
Old 04-02-2004, 02:11 PM
SH ByA

My buddie is running the XTM BB Conversion in his Maxx with the XTM 24/7 motor in it. My Savage will take him off the line with the Picco 26, but his Maxx has the top end and will pass me in a drag race, but it still wont keep up with my Mammoth. Maybe I'm running a little leaner so that makes it just a touch stronger.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:58 AM
simplythi

I bought a XTM Mammoth today, I admit that the speed is fast, and it is easy to work. I just hate the controls. I have to make huge turns and I also bent both the front and the back shock towers. Also my Suspension arm in the front broke. Overall the truck rules in speed, but the parts suck because they break easily. Also the hitec radio control system blows balls! I have to make huge wide turns, no sharp turns. Also the breaks suck because i have to break atleast 30 ft before. No sudden stops because the truck will simply keep going. Anyone know how I could fix the breaking issue? So far i like the truck for the speed. but the handling sucks, and the parts are cheap!
Old 04-21-2004, 07:19 AM
mrjon53
My Feedback: (3)

adjust your trim. i can make mine skid. but when i first broke it in i had the same problems. i thought the breaks were crap, but it was just the trim needing to be adjusted.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:30 AM
rcblaze

I think I'm going to get a mammoth next week or 2. I just have one question for you mammoth owners. Have you won any local races with it? And if so gimme an idea of your setup and run times. Ie shock oil, tires, engine, body? Thanks
Old 04-21-2004, 02:46 PM
Sypro

With the price you pay for the monster gt you can put the hop ups on the mammoth that will make it faster and more durable.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:05 PM
Tweedybird

I'm picking up a mammy and a savage within the next 2 weeks,

someone mentioned the shock towers, a front and a rear.

so far I've only found 1 shock tower upgrade

so does this fit both the front and the rear?

Tweedy Bird

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/149594.asp