Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Would this work for a truck

Old 05-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Spudnik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would this work for a truck

I notice that the small .12 engines have a higher rpm range ect. So way doesn't someone put .12 in their truck and race it. Would it not be a faster truck.

Please tell me what you think
Old 05-08-2004, 07:41 PM
Vanquish24

Default RE: Would this work for a truck

Real bad idea. .12 engines are too weak and they would have a hard time pulling a truck around. Way too much wear on a small engine.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:03 PM
Savage_Dias

High RPMs with less umph. It would only help if you had a super light truck that would benefit even more from a larger engine.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:23 PM
sbb4us

yea I have a little sister an her smaller legs might move faster than me but in a tug of war I would woop her
Old 05-09-2004, 07:41 AM
Crazy_Coconuts

hmm... what if you had two little sisters on the other end of the tug rope? best of both worlds? more torque, higher RPM?
Old 05-09-2004, 09:45 AM
Vanquish24

Lol are you guys saying more than 1 .12 engine? That is straight out silly.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:43 PM
nitromacguyver

not really, in an issue of RCCA a guy built a puller w/4 trx pro .15s on it. it was pretty inpressive.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:05 PM
Crazy_Coconuts

will it not work, do you think or is it just unpractical? oh... and im thinking any small block... not just a .12... i think those are too weak...
Old 05-10-2004, 01:38 PM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

when you hit about half-throttle, a .12 engine would shut off right away and it would be no fun
Old 05-11-2004, 03:00 AM
popuptoaster

Any engine will move any truck, you just have to gear it right, bigger engines have more torque generally, so they can be geared higher. Therefore they do not have to rev so high to reach the same top speed. If a small engine was faster than a big one simply because it revved faster we'd all have 43cc 1:1 cars.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:51 PM
Spudnik

sorry that was the wrong post. I meant to say two .12 engines in the thruck. Not 1 but TWO .12 engines in your truck. I am pretty sure that it would be more or same torque as a .21 or .25 and the rmps would be off the chart. Although after i heard about the fantom engines, two .12 are not any good.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:26 AM
fhm101

Here's a T Maxx with a box stock OS 12 CV and a single speed that ran at last years THRC open. This little jewel, now sporting a Sirio .12 is putting some major azz whopping on at one of the local tracks. They run a single outlaw truck class so it's taking on the full range of racing MT's and smoking them all on a regular basis. last time out it finished the A main 2 laps up on second place. Cocked, locked, and ready to rock this thing tips the scales at 7.1 pounds and yes that's fuel included.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62993.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	132707  
Old 05-16-2004, 11:57 AM
Cal-Torque

I think that 2 good small blocks in a big truck could work great. As someone said, the best of both worlds...good combined torque, and screaming upper end. I'm doing a Titan twin conversion right now, and was actually considering Traxxas 2.5s, but ended up buying Hyper 8 ports. A lot of people are putting monster blocks (XTM 24.7 Pro, Picco .26, etc) which doesn't make a lot of sense... The truck will already have wheel-standing power with almost any .21...
I guess it depends what your goal is...twin Sirio .27s would certainly add the bling factor for a show truck, but wouldn't be practical for normal use.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:19 PM
fhm101

I hate to break it to you, but ANY twin will be impractical as a regular race truck. I've seen twins run exibition races from time to time, but I have never seen one at any of the races I've been to outside of RC monster jams. A single engine truck is more than enough work for a regular race truck.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:41 PM
Crazy_Coconuts

yeah.... i dont really know much about small blocks... but generally, isnt the whole point of twin engines just for kicks? ok... it helps performance in some areas, but in im just thinking gerneral performance... overall will it have the torque and the speed? or will there be too much strain on the engines? btw, how do you calculate the power output of two engines? just add them together?
Old 05-16-2004, 02:52 PM
Cal-Torque

ORIGINAL: fhm101

I hate to break it to you, but ANY twin will be impractical as a regular race truck. I've seen twins run exibition races from time to time, but I have never seen one at any of the races I've been to outside of RC monster jams. A single engine truck is more than enough work for a regular race truck.
If you read my post, you'll see that I said nothing about racing... A twin can certainly be used for normal use (as I stated), and with more twins becoming available, you will see them more and more when you're out weekend bashing.
For the most part, it's for kicks, but it does give you massive combined torque without losing top end. I agree that you'll most likely never see a twin racing. It just adds unwanted weight, and there is no need for crazy torque on a track.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:57 AM
fhm101

The reason you won't see 2 engines on a race truck is not because of the weight, it's because trying to get 2 engines cranked, tuned, and running together is too much trouble. It's hard enough to do with a single engine.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:11 PM
Spudnik

well it was just an idea, don't start fighting. A two engine is like a .46 engine. for show and power
Old 05-20-2004, 06:49 PM
Sypro

This may work for a really light st but a monster truck and a engine under a .15 just wont mix. IM talking about REAL monster trucks not like the t-maxx, im talkin like the savage,monster gt,mammoth and the lst.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:10 AM
popuptoaster

Theoretically even with the weight disadvantage, 2 (or more) engines are better than one of equivelent displacement because you'll get more power strokes per second as they are reving faster. What you really need to do is gear them together before the clutch bell so you in effect make a twin cylinder, makes it awkward to start em then though.