Old 05-18-2004, 10:43 PM
The Boss

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 10scale Thunder King...PSYCHO KILLER!

Well I thought I would go psycho on my 10scale 12 inch wheel base version Nitro Thunder King and stuff a XTM 24.7 PRO engine in it, it should be a blast putting 2.75 HP though this 6 pound low CG race pan kit lol. For those of you that don't know all T maxx type bodys and tires fit on this kit like they were made for it and even m/t tires fit well, I guess you could call it a Sport Maxx on steroids lol, not that a SM would even stand a chance in hell going up against this kit lol.

Watch out boys! if you see this truck... it's always looking for blood!...lol

Here is a vid clip of this truck with the OLD! factory .21 TT, 2.1HP engine in it.

http://www.nitroextreme.com/cars_tru...rototype_2.mov

http://www.nitroextreme.com/cars_tru...rototype_1.mov
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32841.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	133872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47997.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	133873  
Old 05-19-2004, 10:07 AM
twp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 10scale Thunder King...PSYCHO KILLER!

Nice truck you never hear of them much. What scale is it 1/8 how big is it compared to a Savage or a T maxx?
Old 05-19-2004, 05:37 PM
jefx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey, how about telling a fellow where he can buy one brand new?

Or is it old and obsolete?
Old 05-19-2004, 05:56 PM
Duff_Beer_12oz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Please vote.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:35 PM
The Boss

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi guys, The Thunder King super8scale kits were designed and came out in about 1991 by the MRC company (0ver 13 years ago) and they were built tough as nails and did NOT need to be upgraded like so many products of today although there were a good few companys making after market products also for them, one of the reasons these kits can still beat MANY! products on todays market place is that these kits were built for RACING and THRASHING right from the start and the kits componets reflect this (this is one of the reasons we use these kits with great sucess at our local Monster Jam TT "Tuff Truck" events, jumping 4+ fullsize cars repeatedly for 3 days). There were 3 versions of these kits made and all 3 S8S MRC kits had a 14 inch wheel base (like many of the 8scale products of today), Thunder King with ford truck body, Baja King with staduim racer body and Dessert Thunder buggy body version. In about 1999 MRC started to to assemble a LIMITED PRODUCTION nitro version the "Nitro Thunder King", it is beleived that there were approx about 1000 units assembled of this LTD nitro kit, the kits came with the Thunder Tiger .21 2.1HP engine in them and they where radar tested by car action magazine with stock gearing at 40mph and Most importantly they got to top speed in about 5 seconds flat in stock trim. On the race track these kits in race trim can run with if not beat some of the 8 scale buggys on today market

From what I know ALL the limited production nitro versions were sold out a while back from the manufacturer and retailers so finding a new nitro is not easy but our club www.nitroextreme.com specializes in them and can get a few new ones once an a while, some limited supply old stock elc kits can still be found if you hunt for them and can easly be converted to nitro. MRC is not longer assembling ANY of there own kits anymore and have put this kit on the back burner for now, MRC owns and has the tooling so they are STILL!!! after 13+!!! years making parts for this kit, which is super cool for such an old school kit and interestingly MRC still has this kit advertised on there web site (maybe they will bring the kit back in the future)

http://www.modelrec.com/catalog/item28.html

Here is an old brick wall add below

I just ordered a ton of parts from MRC for this kit and only one part was back ordered... not bad for a 13+ year old kit.

Some of us are now making 10scale versions of this kit which is super easy to do with a few simple tools, elc and nitro and they are super cool and perform excellent and then all standard t maxx bodys and tires will fit on them excellent.

Name:	Sp45422.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	134140  
Old 05-19-2004, 07:49 PM
The Boss

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is a pic of the same 10scale Thunder King Nitro stadium truck above with the Pro-Line t maxx jeep body and Pro-Line max masher tires on it, again this kit is the SAME wheel base as the T maxx.

Here are some pics of the 10scale race stadium truck version with the factory MRC race tires on it, even with it's shorter 12 inch wheel base, 6+ pound version it's a real killer on the race track.

Old 05-19-2004, 07:58 PM
The Boss

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is a elc 10scale version Thunder King (12 inch wheel base), monster mash 16 turn single motors, astro flight 205 speed control using twin 6 cell batt packs at 14.4 volts. I striped off the factory anodizing and just gaver it a quick polish. It has a 10 scale parma big foot body on it with stock hpi sav tires.

There is even room to put 4 6 cell stick packs to run 28.8 volt though this Krazy King.

Old 05-19-2004, 08:22 PM
RC SNYPER
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

NICE! where could i order one of those?
Old 05-19-2004, 08:32 PM
The Boss

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi, for those of you that maybe interested, I understand that Sheldon Hobbies is one of the last/only few retailers left in north america to have ANY stock of NEW "in box" elc TK products left.
Link
http://www.sheldonshobbies.com/listing/hotmrc.html

I understand that they have been sold out of NTK kits a long time ago but they still have some limited stock of elc kits they are basicly selling off at cost, the prices are EXCELLENT, for the prices, these kits are worth just buying just for the parts in them considering that buying parts seperate like the shocks alone would cost $65.00 and the compleat ball diff alone is approx $75.00 or even the bodys are $35.00

How many of you know of some one that has one of these kits band new in the box sitting in his closet self lol. I can see these kits as becoming collector kits (because of there reputation) as being one TOUGH SOB kit, time will tell but after 13+ years of this kit coming out it is still making waves!!! in the R/C world.

here is some prof of that.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Spor...1625568/tm.htm

There were a few varisions of the way these kits were sold, the "BBX" kits were an econo kit with bushings insted of bearings to keep the price down.

The BAJA racer kits were also offered with and with out the basic "cheap" electronics for guys that wanted to put the high end stuff in right away.

WORLD SCALE RACING CARS & TRUCKS
MRCRX100 THUNDER KING TRUCK...................... 146.99
MRCRX104 THUNDER KING BBX TRUCK.................. 109.99
MRCRX102 BAJA KING W/2-MTRS & SPD CTRL........... 169.99
MRCRX103 BAJA KING TRUCK......................... 178.99
MRCRX110 BAJA KING BBX KIT....................... 119.99
MRCRX105PC THUNDER KING BBX TRUCK RTR.............. 209.99

There 10scale elc kits were also very good products that used some ideas from the TK product line that looked very simular.

1/10 SCALE TRUCK KITS
MRC100 MT10S STADIUM TRUCK..................... 70.99
MRC100P MT10S STADIUM TRUCK W/PTD BODY.......... 102.99
MRC200 MT10M MONSTER TRUCK..................... 78.99
MRC200P MT10M MONSTER TRUCK W/PTD BODY.......... 109.99
MRC300 IRONMAN TRUCK........................... 75.99
RTR TRUCKS
MRC101 MT10S STADIUM TRUCK W/WHL RADIO......... 126.99
MRC501 HAMMERHEAD 34 FORD RTR.................. 114.99
Old 05-19-2004, 08:39 PM
RC SNYPER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks.ken
Old 05-19-2004, 09:05 PM
The Boss

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A bit more info on the 10scale mod.

Striping and polishing up the chassis is super easy to. all you need is some Easy Off oven cleaner, sos pads, gloves and maybe a bit of fine grit sand paper for the stuborn spots. Spray the cleaner on the parts, let sit for 5 minutes and rub off with sos pads and rags. After wards you can use most types of automotive rubbing/polishing compounds to shine the parts up, I rub the compound on the parts buy hand until the metal turns dark, then I use a cheap high speed buffing wheel to finish it off, I am not fussy so it only takes me a few minutes to do all this and get a nice cool custom finish for cheap.

It is super easy to shorten the stock chassis. I recommend to anyone doing this mod only to counter sink the tranny screw holes only, the a arm support holes do not need it and just to use regular pan screws, doing this will add strength to that part of the chassis, especially when using big m/t tires. Cuting the chassis like in the pic will give you up to a 12 inch wheel base, the chassis could also be cut even shorter to give you even a 1/2 inch shorter wheel base than what is shown here.

Here is how it looks done, this TK is using a novak 828 and will be using twin trinity scr 6 cell packs, it has trinity saphire 17 turn motors with 14 tooth pinons and the factory (small) spur gear. All these etk kits have been upgraded with the better ntk parts also. I had a chance to run ETK #1 up and down the alley way and for an elc it goes and handles great, I think? it could smoke a E maxx on a race track. Just guessing but TK #1 seems to be going 30+ mph, I took this kit to our LHS and let the guys there test it to get there opinon on how it runs compared to a e maxx because they sell them there, they would know better than me, and when they ran it they told me it's faster than a stock E maxx

I bought a few Pro-Line "max type" bodys i will paint up with my kids and make some scale looking M/T's like the new Big foot, Grave Digger, Dragon Slayer and a few others.

Name:	Ca82968.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	134178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64758.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	134179   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27013.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	134180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys48752.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	134181  
Old 05-19-2004, 09:15 PM
RC SNYPER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey would you be willing to sell one of those trucks to me? If so how much do you want for one? Ken.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:28 PM
The Boss

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry kennyC, I did these kits up for my kids, they would be upset if I sold them. Moding one of these kits really does not cost anything, its just the time to do it. If you do get one and want to mod it our club can help you with ANY! type info you may need.

Here are some more pics of the 10scale version with a Hyper .21 8port engine, HPI savage tires and a 10scale USA-1 body. This sucker should go well LOL.

Here are some pics of a 8scale version NTK chassis. I have always ran the stock TT .21 2.1HP engines which I truly think are GREAT engines in these kits, I wanted to try a diffrent engine in this kit, so it will be an interesting comparision to see what diffrences there are with the 24.7 XM pro PRO. I wanted to keep the gearing stock for a better comparision, with stock gearing on the ntk and the XTM 24.7 pro I was getting 41MPH in the dusty gravel alley consitantly with seemingly poor traction, then a friend suggested we try to radar test on the street and we did and he was getting multiple 45 MPH readings on the radar gun again with stock gearing. I then tested the NTK on a grass field and it excellerated very well with the big Imex Baja monster truck tires (the same tires that are in the pics with body on), it seemed to accelerate as if the kit was using stock size rims and smaller tires. It seemed as if the front tires were very lite on the ground, almost as if it was going to lift them as it was excellerating. I think that top end wise there is not much diffrence between the .21TT and the 24.7PRO but I can see/feel a diffrence in the grunt department, I think the 24.7PRO is a good/excellent choice for those guys in particular that want to run wide rims with bigger M/T tires on there NTK kits.

One other thing i should mention we radar tested on the end of a street block, there was not that much room to get up to speed and slow down between intersections, IMO I think/feel the kit was hitting top speed in about 125+ or so feet.

Name:	Db83880.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	134209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82809.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	134210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96827.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	134211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk21802.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	134212  
Old 05-20-2004, 05:41 AM
RC SNYPER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's ok i understand. So how much do you think you have into those trucks as far as money modding?
Old 05-20-2004, 05:46 AM
RC SNYPER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

btw, which trucks do you have?
Old 05-20-2004, 02:57 PM
RC SNYPER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Buying, selling and trading is not allowed in the forums.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:43 PM
The Boss

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi, post your kit on our N/E club forum trade section and you might get some luck. I am hardcore into 8scale .21+ sized engined nitro kits and have about/approx 30 kits, mostly 8scale nitro but I do have a few elc kit still in my collection (my collection limit is set at 33 kits).

As far as my cost to do the elc mod kits, 1 can paint $5.00, 1 can easy off cleaner/sos pads $5.00, scrap aluminum $5.00 and clothing dye $1.00

Body and tire choices are up to you, its a personal taste issue, we all like diffrent things.

Tools needed to do the mods are a hack saw, file, drill and bits. Moding the elc kit is easyer and cheaper than the nitro version.

The only parts I made for the elc chassis is the upper radio tray which is just a thin flat piece of aluminum 22cm long by 4cm wide and connects at the fron of the tranny to the back of the upper front brace, using this part also doubles as a brace and reduces the chassis twist by at least half if not more, it also gives more room to mount the esc and components. The other part I made was the battery holder ends which is just thin aluminum angle, I use a long bolt in the factory center chassis hole that was used for the dirt gard mount.

this is what it looks like when it's done

For those of you that want more info on these MRC kits the two BEST places on the net to go to is www.nitroextreme.com and www.rcmt.net which both have forums specificly just for the MRC products.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:32 PM
The Boss

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

here are a few more old MRC adds.

Here is a vid clip of a new (at that time) STOCK! Nitro thunder king doing a test jump over TWO+ (2) fullsize vans.

http://www.nitroextreme.com/cars_tru...s/jump_two.mov

Name:	Xu62655.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	134428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16157.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	134429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13082.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	134430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65097.jpg
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	134431  
Old 05-20-2004, 07:45 PM
RC SNYPER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i am definatlly gonna get one of these tk's, either a nitro or electric, i will get an electric first tho if i can find one.Ken
Old 05-20-2004, 09:06 PM
The Boss

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have always liked the looks of sleek stadium racer bodys as much as I like M/T bodys so I was thinking if I was going for the A/E GT10 or losi XXX look with this 10scale ETK, I thought the DAHMS stadium race bodys would look good with the factory MRC race tires, these bodys can be slamed right down on this kit for a super low profile look and the wheel wells line up super nice. These bodys fit so well they seem as if they were made just for this kit.

BTW, I weighed this kit like this with the twin battery packs and it came in at just under 6.5 pounds.

http://www.dahms-intl.com/

here it is with paint

again with paint

another bit diffrent one from DAHMS

Although it's a bigger looking body, I also realy like the looks of the factory Ofna blazer bodys on this kit.

here it is with paint.

Name:	Hf98669.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	134460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27772.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	134461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22371.jpg
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	134462  
Old 05-20-2004, 09:16 PM
RC SNYPER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have one more question. does the bbx version of the tk come with electronics? ken.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:23 PM
The Boss

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yup, the kits that came with speed controlers ALL came with TAMIYA (cheap basic mechanical) s/c. The BBX kits were bushing kits to keep there costs down. Today we have much better ESC's and Batterys so I would junk the stock "beginer econo" stuff anyway.

The parts are also cheap to replace on this kit, here is an example of the parts/price list that come with every new kit.

Name:	Ca80595.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	134471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31120.jpg
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	134472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44154.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	134473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40075.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	134474  
Old 05-20-2004, 09:27 PM
RC SNYPER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ok. i thinki will order the bbx tk kit and then get a new radio system and do someof the mods you did such as the 12 in. wheelbase mod, i think that's a pretty neat mod IMO. thanks again.Ken
Old 05-20-2004, 09:58 PM
diirtbag
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

33 for a limit thats good I was starting to worry about the size of my collection but I see I have lots of leeway ,I dont think my wife would agree with that number though
Old 05-21-2004, 05:14 PM
The Boss

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

LOL Yup, what can I say... I like 8scale nitro lol, some people collect plastic models, some people collect cast models, I like models that can move on there own power, it's alot of fun.

I have thought that if MRC were to give this WorldS8Scale kit a face lift, update it with some changes, additions and re-release this kit with a better price tag that could compete with kit prices of the RC10-GT of LOSI XXX (under $300.00 rtr) they would have a BIG HIT with it in todays changing r/c market, but sadly I guess they can't get the costs down low enough.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service