Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

dumb electric MT questions

Old 05-19-2004, 10:56 AM
deeznutz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dumb electric MT questions

Hello. I just got my twin force built and running this week. I'm currently running the stock motors, in a dual ESC setup. The ESCs take unlimited turns, and thats a good thing, as this thing is literally slower than christmas (well at least it seems that way compaired to my other RCs). I was going to get some new motors this weekend for it, but I have a question: Can I use regular RC motors in this thing (I was thinking of using speed gem 9 turns... had nothing but good experiences with them in the past)? Or do I need to find the larger can motors to put in it (550s I think they're called)?
BTW... please spare me the "you should go brushless" posts that always pop up whenever you mention electric motors. I know the benefits of brushless, and I plan to put one in it, as soon as I have a small fortune to spend on it! This is just a temporary setup.

THANKS!
Old 05-19-2004, 02:36 PM
sn0wrider

Default RE: dumb electric MT questions

get a brushless system, $250, then you will rip ars..faster then most nitros
Old 05-19-2004, 02:47 PM
Deandome

BTW... please spare me the "you should go brushless" posts that always pop up whenever you mention electric motors. I know the benefits of brushless, and I plan to put one in it, as soon as I have a small fortune to spend on it! This is just a temporary setup.
ORIGINAL: sn0wrider

get a brushless system, $250, then you will rip ars..faster then most nitros

JESUS 'EFFING CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now.........

500 (or is it 540) motors ARE 'regular' RC motors, aren't they?? And aren't the stock motors that size, too??

I really dunno, but

A) I read this truck goes 30 mph outta the box, so how slow is slow???

B) For a MT, just buy the BIGGEST motors you can afford & fit in there!! Well, I guess you should at least look at some other trivial details, like RPMs ( )

Problem is, you say "temprorary setup", and any good motor in that size is gonna be at least $30-40 EACH. Kinda tough, as I can't think of any affordable motors that'll be better than your stockers, and you really don't wanna spend a lot if you plan on going brushless.

Good luck!!

Dean
Old 05-19-2004, 03:33 PM
deeznutz

WOW, Jeez, never thought of putting a brushless system in... THANKS!
The thing to keep in mind whenever you hear "It'll do X mph out of the box", is that 9 times out of 10 it won't do even close to that (the best example of this is the traxxas 4-tec... It says 60+ mph out of the box. I don't think I've ever seen a 4-tec that fast, let alone right out of the box). In the recent review of the twin force from RC Car Action, they clocked it at 22.5 mph, with the stock motors and an EVX. That is much more accurate. I believe that mine does somewhere in the low 20s. That is quite slow compaired to my T3, which I had prefessionally clocked at 49.5 mph (with A BRUSHLESS SETUP). The stock motors do look different from regular RC motors, as the can is a bit longer, but I think that most of the extra length is due to the fact that they have enclosed endbells (which kinda blows... cant change the brushes[:@]).
I don't mind paying $70.00 for a set of two speedgems. I have to think that a set of 9 turn motors would be a HUGE upgrade speedwise over the stock (27 turn, I think) motors. When I go brushless, I'm gonna do it right, which will be a SIZEABLE investment. I paid all together about $350.00 for my brushless system in my T3. $70.00 compaired to at least $300 for a brushless would be alot cheaper for now. Besides, I already had the limitless ESCs on hand.

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2004, 05:34 PM
sn0wrider

dont be a 'weiner'..im only trying to help..brushless is the best
Old 05-19-2004, 05:41 PM
rocknsavy

go get a brushless mon.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:59 PM
deeznutz

someone shoot me... PLEASE!!??!
Old 05-19-2004, 06:06 PM
Wicked!!
My Feedback: (5)

Hey man I don't feel like reading all the posts regarding brushless bla bla bla.

What escs do you have? if they are SRs then you could pick up a set of titanites and that should give you some rip. Titans are 15 turn doubles btw. Or the old faithful sapphires . Single would so great torque.

Hope this helps
Jason
Old 05-19-2004, 06:07 PM
Duff_Beer_12oz

BANG![sm=lol.gif]
Old 05-20-2004, 08:54 PM
The Boss

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You know IMO for the cost of some of this elc stuff... nitro is a far better bag for the buck.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:14 PM
Rex2342

Not really. You figure with nitro we spend 20-30 a gallon in a weekend and have to keep doing so to keep driving.Also take into account the cost of the glowplugs and the piston and sleeves or new motors needed every 8-15 gallons(depending on tuning skills) and the cost of nitro keeps going up.With electric you have to spend loads at first but the motors are cheaper to maintain and keep running and battery packs will last longer than a gallon of nitro no matter who you are.Sure you may have to buy 5 or 6 packs to keep running non stop all day but that just means you won't wear out the packs as fast.The cost of electric kinda levels off after you get whats needed.

As for your question deeznutz, 540 and 550 motors are different so you'll need to get another set of 550 motors.I think it's Trinity that makes a set of 550 9 turn motors for the E-maxx.Maybe you could try those.