Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

3pk Radio, what servos for Savage?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

3pk Radio, what servos for Savage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 09:15 AM
Tweedybird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3pk Radio, what servos for Savage?

bought a 3pk PCM radio from futaba, it has a built in fail safe that I would like to use instead of buying an onboard fail safe.

I need some recommendations for high speed, high torgue servos for the steering and throttle on the savage.

I don't know enough about all the different brands of servos out there tho to make a decision.

I was told to go with the hitec digitals, but they state in their specs that they require a servo programmer to utilize the fail safe.
that confuses me because shouldn't I be able to program the failsafe "for the hitec servos" right from the 3pk? Or do I actually need to
buy the programmer too?

Also what other option/brand digital servos can I look at that will provide me with the highest torque and speed for my steering and throttle that I won't have a problem using this internal failsafe in the radio with?

Thanks

Tweedy Bird
Old 05-20-2004, 02:39 PM
speed lives
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: 3pk Radio, what servos for Savage?

I use the hitec 645mg and there awsome. Don't know about any other brands.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:52 PM
Deandome

I think you're fine, regardless of servos.

The programmable Hitecs are for when THEY are controlling the function (i.e. failsafe). They can be made to do things without a special receiver.

So if your RECEIVER has that ability, it'll tell even the dumbest servo what to do.

I have the Hitec 5945 (the one I'm betting you're talking about... http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUZ86&P=0 ), and it's great, but I got a great deal on it from a private seller ($60, new). If you're OK with the $100-ish price range, THE best steering servo is this one:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTT13&P=0

Why? Slightly better speed & torque, and IMO, a better 'name' than Hitec. But again, I HAVE the Hitec and it's great!
Old 05-20-2004, 03:12 PM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

if you gonna spend a lot for the servos, then for the steering buy JR DS8611 servo, 260oz/in and 0.18 speed
and for my throttle brake i have Futaba S9350, 140 oz/in and 0.12 speed, if you need any help let me know

is it the black version?
Old 05-20-2004, 03:16 PM
slodsm

Futaba all the way for me. I would grab up 9350's or 9351's and you will not be dissapointed.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:25 PM
Deandome

ORIGINAL: Dr.ArmoMaxx

if you gonna spend a lot for the servos, then for the steering buy JR DS8611 servo, 260oz/in and 0.18 speed
and for my throttle brake i have Futaba S9350, 140 oz/in and 0.12 speed, if you need any help let me know

is it the black version?
I hope it's not the black one, as I think they're 'gray market", & not warrantied in the US.

And, IMO, 200 oz is WAAAY strong enough for ANY MT, so the fact that the airtronics is almost 50% faster (.10 sec) outweighs the extra 60 oz of strength. The Futabas seem great for throttle, but I haven't seen anything of theirs that blend high strength (180+ oz) with high speed (.13 sec & below) as well as Hitec & Airtronics.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:25 PM
Labat_Blue

The hitec 645mg is only 35$.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:32 PM
Deandome

ORIGINAL: Labat_Blue

The hitec 645mg is only 35$.
And it's reliability reportedly reflects that!!

And something tells me Tweedybird is not exactly a budget shopper!!

He got a 3PK right off that bat for his first truck, he has lots of helo experience, and he was about to buy a $250 compressor for his $120 airbrush that he's gonna use pretty much just for bodies (see other threads).
Old 05-20-2004, 03:36 PM
Labat_Blue

And it's reliability reportedly reflects that!!
That servo has good reliability, its the strongest thing on my t-maxx. I think i have broken every part acept the 645 lol.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:00 AM
slago

I just had to replace a 645MG after only 5 weeks. Defective. I put in the Airtronics bad boy 200oz High Speed with aluminum heatsink body. -very fast!-

Tweedy, If you have the 3PK FM/HRS version then you can only use Digital Servos period, any non-digital will fry. If it is PCM then you can choose. Which version did you buy?
Old 05-21-2004, 12:48 AM
Tweedybird

got the PCM version was only another 10 bucks

still undecided about the servos.

I would like to keep the same brand as the radio, but I've heard alot of good things about hitec
dunno what to order..

Send some links my way if you guys get the chance, hitec, futaba, JR.

Was looking for the JR DS8611 that doc armormax had pointed out earlier, but the one I found at Heliproz only had 155 oz of torque for 114.00
and didn't have the DS in the description.

Still looking

Tweedy
Old 05-21-2004, 12:58 AM
Tweedybird

oh who was it that put me onto Hitec, don't remember, but
they did recommend the HS 5625MG and theHS 5645MG

dunno tho.

Undecided still

Tweedy Bird
Old 05-21-2004, 10:21 AM
Deandome

ORIGINAL: Tweedybird

oh who was it that put me onto Hitec, don't remember, but
they did recommend the HS 5625MG and theHS 5645MG

dunno tho.

Undecided still

Tweedy Bird
The more we talk, the more clear it becomes that an extra $20 here or there isn't a factor with you.

So if you go Hitec, make SURE you get the 5945 over the 5645, as the 5945 has a CORELESS MOTOR. Dunno about the intricicies, but they come back to dead center a LOT more accurately & reliably than 'regular' motors. And I believer they're more durable/long lasting, too. Maybe someone can explain this better!!

BTW, is the big Airtronics coreless?? The Tower site doesn't give a lotta detail on this one, but it does have 'double ball bearings', which certainly sounds great!
Old 05-21-2004, 11:13 AM
Tweedybird

The more we talk, the more clear it becomes that an extra $20 here or there isn't a factor with you.
When it comes to my children, Price is not an option.

When it comes to my hobbies, Price is not really an option, but I do look for the better deals [>:]

As for the servos I printed the specs on the Hitec 5945, but.... hehe

I'm also looking at this one for the steering.

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/heliproz/default.asp

Tweedy Bird

Old 05-21-2004, 11:38 AM
Deandome

Your link doesn't show a particular servo, but I don't believe JR has a STANDARD size servo that puts out 180+ oz @ 6V AND is faster than .13 sec @ 6V.

I really think the airtronics is THE best & the 5945 is #2, as I've never really heard of people using JRs as a steering upgrade, and those that use Futaba are settling for significantly lower performance just to get a name brand they love.

BTW, you haven't mentioned SQUAT about upgrading your receiver pack on your trucks!!! The LST might come with a pretty good rechargable pack, but I dunno.

You WILL want and need one for your savage, and I STRONGLY recommend you go w/ www.onlybatterypacks.com !!!! They have GREAT service, GREAT prices and they are the only ones I've seen with an ASSORTMENT of packs in the 2100-2700mah range:

http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/items.asp?db=17

And don't just order online...CALL Jeff & talk about what you want, as they seem to have options that aren't always on their site!! You can read about Rx packs in great depth by searching this forum.

AND...you're gonna need a good peak charger, unless you already have one for your helos!!

Dean
Old 05-21-2004, 11:56 AM
Tweedybird

Your link doesn't show a particular servo, but I don't believe JR has a STANDARD size servo that puts out 180+ oz @ 6V AND is faster than .13 sec @ 6V.

I really think the airtronics is THE best & the 5945 is #2, as I've never really heard of people using JRs as a steering upgrade, and those that use Futaba are settling for significantly lower performance just to get a name brand they love.

BTW, you haven't mentioned SQUAT about upgrading your receiver pack on your trucks!!! The LST might come with a pretty good rechargable pack, but I dunno.

You WILL want and need one for your savage, and I STRONGLY recommend you go w/ www.onlybatterypacks.com !!!! They have GREAT service, GREAT prices and they are the only ones I've seen with an ASSORTMENT of packs in the 2100-2700mah range:

http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/items.asp?db=17

And don't just order online...CALL Jeff & talk about what you want, as they seem to have options that aren't always on their site!! You can read about Rx packs in great depth by searching this forum.

AND...you're gonna need a good peak charger, unless you already have one for your helos!!

Dean
Was gonna put this in the savage:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFJT1&P=ML
HPI 1200 mah hump pack

I will check out the onlybatterypacks site.
cause having 2100 mah sounds a hell of alot better than 1200

As for the Charger, I already picked up the PitBull
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGWV0&P=ML

Tweedy Bird

JR's Ultra Torque Digital Servo. Superior precision, resolution and holding torque. Weighs 2.03 oz. Speed .18 sec/60 deg with amazing 155 oz/in torque @ 4.8v.!! Measures .73" x 1.52" x 1.32" Coreless motor, dual ball bearings. Alloy gears. Awesome servo. Call for special pricing - this is the minimum allowable advertised price but we have sales and quantity discounts available.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31068.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	134665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11949.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	134666  
Old 05-21-2004, 02:08 PM
Terminal_Junkie

Hi all. Sorry if i've missed something here but to use the built in fail safe on the 3pk the HRS receiver must be used.... This in turn means that analoge servos are out of the question, plug in a 645mg and watch it go bang The only way to go really is HRS with all digital servos and a 6v rx pack otherwise to be honest its a waste of time buying such a TX in the first place.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:51 PM
Tweedybird

I'm am buying all digital servos, that was never in question.

Tweedy Bird
Old 05-21-2004, 09:50 PM
slago

ORIGINAL: Deandome

So if you go Hitec, make SURE you get the 5945 over the 5645, as the 5945 has a CORELESS MOTOR. Dunno about the intricicies, but they come back to dead center a LOT more accurately & reliably than 'regular' motors. And I believer they're more durable/long lasting, too. Maybe someone can explain this better!!

BTW, is the big Airtronics coreless?? The Tower site doesn't give a lotta detail on this one, but it does have 'double ball bearings', which certainly sounds great!
Yes, it is. Here is a link to info on Airtronics servos: [link=http://www.airtronics.net/2004_servos.htm]http://www.airtronics.net/2004_servos.htm[/link]

Notice the one I just got, the 94359 model, is 200 oz. at .10 sec!!! Whew, this thing is awesome!
Old 05-21-2004, 11:42 PM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

ORIGINAL: Deandome
And, IMO, 200 oz is WAAAY strong enough for ANY MT, so the fact that the airtronics is almost 50% faster (.10 sec) outweighs the extra 60 oz of strength. The Futabas seem great for throttle, but I haven't seen anything of theirs that blend high strength (180+ oz) with high speed (.13 sec & below) as well as Hitec & Airtronics.
Your local hobby shop should have the JR servo or here it is
http://h1071118.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...?prod=JRPS8611

Deandome the .18 sec is rated at 4.8 volt, so it would be a lot faster at 6 volt and since he is gonna use it for a savage and since there is no such thing as too much torque then why not, you never know when that extra 60 oz-in gonna come in play. NO I'm not saying Airtronics is bad or anything, but when there is more powerful one then why not.

I bet you never had this kind of problem (for visually challenged once: Got teeth?)
Old 05-22-2004, 12:09 AM
Tweedybird

Very cool Dr. Armormax, thanks again.

Now all I need is that RB .28 [>:]

Tweedy Bird
Old 05-22-2004, 12:32 AM
Tweedybird

Armo-maxx with:
Futaba 3PK HRS Black version +digital servos
hmm there both black.
one says magnum the other one doesn't.

one is PCM and one is FM
but you can get the PCM one with the HRS Receiver.

Tweedy Bird
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43141.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	134857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46125.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	134858  
Old 05-22-2004, 12:40 AM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

Actually none of them are black...LOL

and there no such thing "PCM one with the HRS Receiver" its either FM, PCM, HRS, or AM with add on module

This how the black one looks and it says MEGATECH

I hope it helps
Old 05-22-2004, 01:40 AM
Tweedybird

Didn't know they made 3 3pks excuse.

the one you have the Black that says MEGATECH at 275.00

The one I have that says MAGNUM at 319.00 FM 75MHz or 27MHz

and the 3rd 3pk That doesn't say anything on the bottom half of the Grip the PCM at 329.00

I cannot see any difference between the last 2 other than the fact that one comes with a PCM rx and one with an HRS rx. oh and a 5.00 difference in rx price.

Shrug, they're all sweet

Just a bit of clarification.

Tweedy Bird
Old 05-22-2004, 01:51 AM
Duff_Beer_12oz

Tweedy, how are you adding thoes smileys? Mine won't let me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.