Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Another Project Truck in the making

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Another Project Truck in the making

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 11:14 AM
kennebell50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Project Truck in the making

I'm using a MGT roller and putting a larger airplane engine in it(.70-1.20) These engine produce loads of torque, last forever, are cheaper, and fuel is about $10 less per gallon. It makes alot more sense, but I'm concerned about blowing out diffs and trannys. Most of the plane engines I'm looking at produce about 3hp, so its enough but not to much. The only turn about 16,000 rpm so my top speed will be down to about 25mph or so, but I'm using this truck mostly for hillclimbing so I need the torque.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:36 PM
RC SNYPER
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Another Project Truck in the making

sounds good, but i would suggest you try to get some steel tranny gears or titainium ones. The stock tranny may hold out for a lil while with light blips of the throtle , but imo if you go WOT froma dead stand still you might as well kiss your tranny gears goodby./ just my oppinion, Ken
Old 05-24-2004, 02:39 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Not necessarily... If the information is available, you need to compare the hp/torque curves of the motors.

Specifically, if the torque curve is relatively close, your drivetrain will be fine.

It's all about torque when it comes to overpowering drivetrain parts...
Old 05-24-2004, 02:46 PM
Overalnd

I think (not totally sure) that airplane engines will NOT work in a car or truck. Engines that rev high (like any nitro engine) need to be cooled by the air. The engine could overheat if you try to crawl or go slow speeds. Airplane engines rely more than ground vehicle engines for be cooled by the air.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:07 PM
kennebell50

I agree, if I can refrain from WOT from a dead stop it should be alright.
ORIGINAL: kennyC

sounds good, but i would suggest you try to get some steel tranny gears or titainium ones. The stock tranny may hold out for a lil while with light blips of the throtle , but imo if you go WOT froma dead stand still you might as well kiss your tranny gears goodby./ just my oppinion, Ken
Old 05-24-2004, 03:10 PM
kennebell50

Airplane engines turn much less rpms than car/truck nitro engines therefore creating much less heat and they(air, car/truck) are all air cooled. And I will driving 20-25mph, so the overheating thing shouldn't really be an issue.
ORIGINAL: Overalnd

I think (not totally sure) that airplane engines will NOT work in a car or truck. Engines that rev high (like any nitro engine) need to be cooled by the air. The engine could overheat if you try to crawl or go slow speeds. Airplane engines rely more than ground vehicle engines for be cooled by the air.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:05 PM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

ORIGINAL: newtoheli
Airplane engines turn much less rpms than car/truck nitro engines therefore creating much less heat and they(air, car/truck) are all air cooled. And I will driving 20-25mph, so the overheating thing shouldn't really be an issue.
wait till you run the engine then tell me if it is an issue [>:]

i run .40 under my hood and o boy it gets over 350 degreese in less then 10 sec when i run it like normal, so therefore i have to keep it rich and when it is rich then i can run it for a whole day whithout going over 120 degrees, but then the engine does not perform as it needs to be.

maybe the airplane engine is cheap but how many minutes will it last on one tank? on my .40 one tank lasts for max 3 min when running rich and the outcome would still be the same so you wouldn't save any money on the gas

your tranny might be ok the first week because unlike tmaxx mgt is designed for .21

TRUST me it is not fun driving it while it is running rich and therefore overheating will be a problem unless you got a brain

I hope i helped
Old 05-24-2004, 09:52 PM
joe78586
My Feedback: (3)

Instead of getting a two stroke get a four stroke. Add a cpu heat sink and it will keep it cool. They use less fuel and have more torque which is what you seem to want. And they sound cool too.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:56 PM
RC Jack

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, if I can refrain from WOT from a dead stop it should be alright.
That's a BIG "if"! Don't sell yourself short. Realistically speaking, you will be punching it to WOT, especially hillclimbing. And if overheating will/may be a problem, that has to be addressed or you'll be replacing engines at a rate that will get old real fast, not to mention expensive. I'd suggest a TTR 70, [link=http://autohausrc.com/search.asp?search=engine&count=30]TTR 9447[/link] . This engine has all the torque you'll need for hillclimbing.

If you're planning on installing a .70-1.20, the gears might take the torque, but NOT in plastic gearcases! The tolerances will be constantly changing, eventually, stripping the gears. You're only alternative is to go to aluminum housings. A few years ago, there was a big problem with the EK4 gears stripping due to the power of the 70, after I made the very first alloy gearcases, the problem disappeared, because tolerances were constant.

Airplane engines do seem to generate more heat, tho, for some reason heli engines don't. But, if you heart's set on an airplane engine, you could rig up a a duct with a cooling fan, going directly to the head.
I run a ringed .70 in mine and the temps don't get over 230 degrees.

Good luck!