Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

best big block for a MT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 12:29 AM
methane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best big block for a MT?

so i've been trying to decide which mt to get (probably the lst). i'll stick w/ the stock engine for a bit but, well, after having watched some races this past weekend and seeing an mt w/ some 8 port (that's the only info i got from the driver) smoking every other mt, i got to wondering what the fastest big block suitable for an mt is? i have to give credit to the driver b/c he had some skills but this thing was f'in fast on the straights.

i was thinking an ofna picco .26 or perhaps an rb tm would be a good choice?

any ideas?
Old 05-25-2004, 01:17 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: best big block for a MT?

the Losi has a Mach 26 which is on par with a Pico 26 just with a smoother powerband...getting a Pico would be stepping down really as both motors are equal on power but the Mach is smoother and easier to tune.....a 8 port is weak in the same truck...though an 8 port may be okay for racing on a track it lacks the power of the Mach or the Pico especially in a heavier truck...ther are 3 motors stronger then the Mach...a XTM 24/7 pro, a Sirio 27 and a RB 28 but your not going to find alot more power with any engine over the Mach it will only be a little bit...the fastest motor may be a EB modded Pico 26 so maybe consider that engine if you want mega power...but dont expect huge gains over the Mach....sorry but unfortunately the Mach is a super strong motor and by far the best motor to be offered in a RTR MT...most guys buy a Mach as an upgrade...or if you want ultimate i suggest getting the new RB EB modded as its porting is very basic and has alot of room for improvement...it doesn't even have a turbo cut crank and it still is super fast.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:50 AM
Duff_Beer_12oz

I recomend the Trinity Sirio Monster HP 27XL Pro - TRI S27PRO. This is a great engine. It's got 11 port. Check out it's specs at this site.

http://www.rcmodels.com/rc-tri-s27pro.html
Old 05-25-2004, 10:05 AM
R/C Madman
My Feedback: (1)

Depends on how deep your pockets are! If money is not a problem then a Rody RB C-5 would be near the top of the list. The Hyper 8 port is a great "cheap" engine when tuned right it is one of the best entry level .21's out there. If your just getting into the sport I would stay with "cheap" engines like the Mach .26,XTM and 8 port or stock until you know more about tunning and caring for a nitro engine. It's allot better if you make a mistake and trash a $140 engine then a $300-$600 one!
Old 05-25-2004, 11:51 AM
fhm101

ORIGINAL: R/C Madman
It's allot better if you make a mistake and trash a $140 engine then a $300-$600 one!
When I first started in nitro an old salt told me that whatever you pay for your first engine just consider it your union dues. I've always tried to get folks to go less on their first real engine. Stepping up from the average RTR to a full blown race engine is usually the quickest way I know of to get a $400 to $600 doorstop. Start slow and work up. Not only do you risk less on the engine, your chassis will not be subject to the abuse a sick fast engine will dish out. What your truck may just bounce off of at 30 will rip it to shreads at upwards of 50. An OS RG with a Paris AL 650 pipe is one of the quickest combo's out there for off the line performance, but it runs out (depending on gearing) at around 60 to 80 feet. Not altogether a bad thing for one just learing to handle more power. As for the Mach in the LST being such a great engine, if the Mach 15 in the XXX-NT RTR is any indication of the quality available from whoever is manufacturing them, I'll pass.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:17 PM
rcblaze

I have to give my vote right now to the picco .26. I like the torque it has and the top end is just enough for most tracks or bashing situations. The engine is not hard to tune and best of all is the price. Between 150- 200 you can't beat that in my book. IMO in a MT the picco is right for the job. In many cases it depends on the truck a little also. For instance in my JT hybrid a 8p race is all I need right now. But in my Dominator I have the picco and they are about the same speed. But the Dominator will make your lawn a infield really fast. AS far as the LST goes wait and see what some people are doing and what works best. None of use know the truck well enough to say what would be right for this truck. And lastly keep in mind so much more is important then just having a fast engine.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:44 PM
Duff_Beer_12oz

What company makes the .46BB that goes into the gen. I want to buy one for my soon to be LST!
Old 05-25-2004, 02:03 PM
methane

i think all the advice here is great. fhm101, i agree that it's best to start slow. i've got years of experience in r/c but i'm coming back to it after a 10 yr. hiatus. i saw my share of people blow tons of money making a car faster and not having the skills to control it. uhh in fact i remember an incident w/ my brand new jrx2 + 12 turn motor + a basketball post = snapped $50 chassis

i'll definitely keep whatever mt i get stock until i get a good feel for it, and then i'll bust out the upgrades. mostly i posted this b/c i was curious to see thoughts on the best big block...plus i know i'll get the itch and rip out the stock engine eventually