Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Why is the THUNDER/BAJA KING such a good kit?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Why is the THUNDER/BAJA KING such a good kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 08:21 PM
xtm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why is the THUNDER/BAJA KING such a good kit?

Hey Kaz I luv it everywhere u go u can find someone that just gives a **** alittle too much and gets worked up makes for good reading lol
Old 05-28-2004, 08:25 PM
Spudnik

can we stop fighting with eachother and start fighting with our trucks?
Old 05-28-2004, 09:46 PM
nd2xlr8

Gator I personally appreciate the overview you have given on the Thunder King. While I don't think this is the kit for me, I believe I will appreciate one the next time I see it. You only get accolade's from me. It's sometimes refreshing to see something you don't see everyday.
Old 05-29-2004, 12:36 AM
The Boss

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi, lately I have seen companys making and advertising roll bars and cages for newer truck kits, I see them with these cages with people standing on them so I wanted to do a test on the $7.70 STOCK Nitro Thunder King body mounts to see what kind of pressure the STOCK $7.70 dollar nylon body mounts could take. The STOCK body mount system that that is used on the NTK kits is one of the BEST!!! mount systems ever made for an r/c truck kit, just one of the reasons for this is that the STOCK body mounts are NOT!!! mounted on the tops of the shock towers, so the shock towers can do there job better by just being SHOCK TOWERS!!! and the body mounts can be BODY MOUNTS!!!, also the STOCK body mounts are made from virgin nylon which adds flexability and durability.

For my test I used a full size 4x4 differential from a 1990 Toyota 4-Runner and set it across a board that was set on top of the STOCK NTK body mounts, This 4x4 Toyota steel diff weighs over !!!200 POUNDS!!! and I set it on top of the STOCK BODY MOUNTS!!! ONLY...with...!!!NO EXTRA SUPPORT!!!, it did NOT FAIL!!! and held the 200+pound weight. I took pics very low so you can see AIR between the engine head and diff support board.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61309.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	137456   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42836.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	137457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74389.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	137458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36525.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	137459  
Old 05-30-2004, 11:05 AM
The Boss

BTW, thanx guys, I do appreciate the comments, veiws, opinons, I just like to let people/newbies know about older kits they may not know about.
Old 05-30-2004, 02:02 PM
Savage_Dias

Not to knock your thread or anything but that pick reminds me of an experiment my jr high science teacher showed us. He would let one or two students in the class squeeze an egg in their hand & to the amazement of the class the eggs wouldn't break. There was another one I saw on TV where they sat a car on top of groupings of eggs & they didn't brake either. Again, I'm not trying to bust your claims or say the pics were faked (I seriously doubt they were BTW) but your pics only show force presented in two directions at a steady rate. R/Cs tend to wreck with a strong initial impact from progressive angles follwed by bouncing, tossing, & more impacts. It wouldn't surprise me if you could do the same axle experiment with a grouping of plastic straws.

From what I've read, the Thunder King was way ahead of it's time I give a lot of credit to MRC's engineers for their ideas & designs but like jefx said it's a discontinued truck so it's kindof pointless to try to "sell" it to everyone. I'm thrilled that you love your truck & I hope you keep posting pics / videos of it but I think you're trying a little too hard to defend a truck that noone is flaming. Give us some good old fashioned "Hey I did this & got it on video" threads instead of repeating the same threads.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:02 PM
The Boss

Hi SavageD, I understand were you are coming from but my point was to compare guys that are standing with all there weight on all these new roll cages that are out now... thats all and NOTHING ELSE. You are correct in your statement but... Could you please do a test for me and set a 200+ pound full size truck diff on ends of an EGG and let me know how it works out. and PLEASE post a pic of the results.

Have you looked at any of the vids I have posted??? of quote:"Hey I did this & got it on video" threads instead of repeating the same threads. "end quote, if not here is a link of... Hey GUYS!!! I did this & got it on video... check it out!!!

http://www.nitroextreme.com/cars_tru...k/videos_1.cfm

I am VERY sorry I have gave some of you the impression of posting anything other that INFO, but I am NOT selling ANYTHING HERE!, I am just posting INFO INFO INFO, I am also NOT defending ANYTHING HERE!, I am just posting INFO INFO INFO I have NOTHING to defend or sell to anyone, just posting info on an old school kit.

I HONESTLY do not know how to post the INFO any other way to make some of you happy and not take offence to it, maybe I will start my posts for now on with "I am sorry" instead of "Hi"
Old 05-30-2004, 03:05 PM
The Boss

I AM SORRY, btw SavageD, I am looking foward to see the pics of your EGG or even your plastic straws holding up and balancing a 200+ pound fullsize truck diff.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:15 AM
The Boss

Hi, just a note on the topic of after market support. There were a good few companys making some hopups and custom parts for these kits at one time or another, companys like A&L, JPS, DA, TRINITY, MOTION GRAPHICS, PARMA, and a few others made custom and performance stuff like aluminum wheels, bodys, graphite chassis, gears, motors, steering components, graphite shock towers, batterys and more stuff too. So custom parts can still be found floating around if you know what to look for and who to ask.

Name:	Mk27019.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	137991  
Old 06-15-2004, 06:41 AM
The Boss

Hi, on the topic of weight ANY true racer kit will be made as light as possible and ANY true racer knows light weight = speed/power. In this area also the super8scale Thunder - Baja King kits excell over many others also. As an example my Nitro Baja King racer that is basicly a stock layout and is set up for a bit of bashing/thrashing weighs approx 7 pounds RTR (Ready To Run) and if I was looking/wanting the max in weight savings I could shed approx 1 pound on weight off of the kit still.

I weighed some of the componets off of my 8scale Baja King kit that I could remove or change to save more weight if some one wanted to lower it's stock 7 pound weight.

remove on board starter assembly, 240 grams
remove extra steering servo, 40 grams
change out extra servo saver, 10 grams
change out stock body, 50+ grams
remove bash/skid bumpers, 100 grams
change out upper bodys mounts, 10 grams
change out brake/throttle servo mount, 10 grams
change out stock clutch/flywheel setup, 30 grams
change out stock sport pipe, 20+ grams

= 510 GRAMS !!! that could be saved in weight if needed, and I am sure I could save more weight here and there too, I could drill a few lightening holes also in a few parts to save a bit more weight. This chassis also has room to move/shift weight around also to help with balance if needed. So basicly I could get this kit weighing 6 pounds or less EASLY! just by removing and changing a few parts. The math is easy, 6 pounds! with a 2.75 HP! engine. An interesting side note is that a 10scale version of this kit is even a bit lighter than 6 pounds and would be to light to race legaly in the "open" m/t class so EXTRA weight (maybe? 100+ grams) would have to be added like heavyer parts/tires to make it legal to race in that class.

One last note is that I just want to remind people that the Thunder King / Baja King kits are NOT!!! converted buggys/truggys, these kits were built and designed right from the start as a true " STADIUM TRUCK KIT" and NOT any kind of converted "vehicle".

The performace a person could expect from a nitro TK/BK kit (with the right engine and mods) is that of most 8scale race buggys, just in a "TRUE" truck package and this is why these kits can run on par with some of the better buggys on the market.

Name:	Bz79098.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	143450  
Old 06-24-2004, 05:48 PM
darrylcatkins

first of all that is not a real impressive test if u ask me....i have had men over 200 pounds step on my stuff not paying attension and not break anything....besides u can put alot more stress on a object if it is suplied in a controlled fashion such as your "diff", which is not a diff but a axle housing, the diff bolts to the back side of your axle housing, which may or may not be in the axle housing because u took the picture of the opposite side of the axle housing, which if it is not in there would lighten your axle housing by about 75 pounds making this picture even less inpressive.....jump it and roll hard a couple of times and put those pics on there and u might make a believer out of me.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:40 PM
mikeylok13

Hi gator8 i have an old electric thunder king and would like to make it
nitro is it possible? can you post some info?
thank you
Old 06-28-2004, 03:43 AM
The Boss

Well darryl... to repeat AGAIN what I said before, I did this test to compare all these OTHER rollcage type products out now with people standing on them... thats all and nothing else, and as you can see the STOCK $7.70 NTK bodys mounts can hold about a max of 200 pounds. ALL 90 Toyota 4runner rear axle housings with out the center section weigh over 200 pounds and thats a fact. I don't need to convince you or make you a beleiver of anything, FACT is it is a VERY TOUGH kit . Your comments are BS.

FACT is the NTK kits are one of the BEST kits we use every year in our Monster Jam shows... quote"jump it and roll it hard" which we do just that every year and have MANY vids showing it on our club site.

http://www.nitroextreme.com/cars_tru...k/videos_1.cfm

mikey, it is very possible to convert this kit, we have info on our club site.

http://forums.nitroextreme.com/index...c&topicID=1422
Old 03-02-2005, 06:41 PM
ZondaC12

id like to say im glad youve posted this thread as i have NEVER heard of this truck before, and thats neat to see something like this that stands out as a REALLY durable, beastly truck. but one q about the electric start--it says onboard, do you have to hook up a battery or is THAT onboard too so like u just have to put the glow plug heater on press a button and start? thats awesome (well if thats the case. even if not its still cool) also even with a .21 that thing must be a bit slow, at least to get going, as strong as it is that must mean alot thick and HEAVY metal right?
Old 03-02-2005, 09:14 PM
The Boss

ORIGINAL: ZondaC12

id like to say im glad youve posted this thread as i have NEVER heard of this truck before, and thats neat to see something like this that stands out as a REALLY durable, beastly truck. but one q about the electric start--it says onboard, do you have to hook up a battery or is THAT onboard too so like u just have to put the glow plug heater on press a button and start? thats awesome (well if thats the case. even if not its still cool) also even with a .21 that thing must be a bit slow, at least to get going, as strong as it is that must mean alot thick and HEAVY metal right?
Thanks ZondaC12, some people here just have a complex about a old kit that is as good if not better than their new kits lol. The onboard start system is basicly the same thing as the newer "roto start" system... you could almost say the roto start was copyed from the MRC NTK design, they basicly use very simular main parts (540 motor) but the older NTK version is all bolted on the truck. The battery just plugs in to the unit, some guys have mounted the starter battery onboard also (best place is under the tank) and besides for starting they use it also to power the recevier/servos.

You can see the starter system in front of the engine in these pics. This NTK had a modified 4HP .82 = 13CC K&B marine engine in it when these pics were taken.

Old 03-02-2005, 09:17 PM
hybridstone

not to shabby.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:50 PM
The Boss

I will repost a 1992 factory MRC mag add that has some interesting info. Hopfully it will be big enough to read.

Old 03-02-2005, 10:16 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bottom line is the boss is obsessed with this truck and love its!! Thats cool!! How many of us really know our trucks inside and out? He is sharing his passion for this truck, thats cool. If you don't want to read about it don't. History is neat though, things such as dual overhead cams in motors etc, we think thats high-tech they were doing that long long time ago. Its just given us a perspective. The dude loves these trucks let him be happy, and you can talk all about your trucks on a subject about your trucks. The main thing is to have fun!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2005, 10:34 PM
Cloud15x

I think it's awesome... How many of us will be racing our Hyper7's, 777's, Xrays(comparing since he said it runs with buggies) in 13 years. In 13 years, RB's 2-3hp engines will be lame. We will find a way to move up to 4-5 HP engines with the RPM range and smoothness of the engines we ahve now.

I do have to agree, 200 pounds set on the truck isn't the same as it running into a wall. But, If you think your buggy/truck is as tough as it, set an axel down on a revo. (I sure as hell aint because I'm not going to crush my H7 Pro) For being that old, it seems amazing and it seems to jump and run well....
Great vid
Old 03-03-2005, 07:52 AM
infernalstone

People get off about setting 200 pounds on a truck. That's nothing. I have K'Nex bridges for class that hold 150 pounds. And have seen towers that hold 500 pounds.

Not that'm going to make a r/c car chassis out of K'nex.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:08 PM
Haldir

Boss,

What size bearings will fit in the front and rear hub carriers of the Thunder King?
Old 01-29-2006, 06:33 AM
Dil

man theese are awsome, the classics of R/C, its a mechanical feast, u could compare theese to classic merc's, whcih were far ahead of there time,!

they are awfully neat as well, unlike most of the trucks today, where everthing is stuck up in the tiniest space

boss u said u were trying out new engines' but does your original nitro engine still work, "just curious to know" and howcome your putting an XTM petrol in it???
Old 01-31-2006, 07:23 PM
The Boss

Hi there, the electric TK's use 6-12 bearings front and rear (same as t maxx), the nitro TK's use 6-12 in front and use a upgraded larger axle in the rear which use a 7-13 bearing. Boca sells these bearings.

The factory .21 Thunder tiger engines work excellent in these light kits, I just wanted to try out diffrent engines for fun, there is a noticable diffrence in the grunt factor with the 24.7 and .26 engines

infernalstone, it's been a year or so and I am still waiting for pics of your custom built "K'Nex" r/c truck holding up 200pounds.lol j/k
Old 02-01-2006, 04:25 AM
Haldir

Is that 7 mm inner diameter and 13 mm outer diameter? What is the width? The bushings on my electric thunder king for the rears are 7 mm inner diameter and 13 mm outer diameter. Thank you Boss.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:34 PM
The Boss

Yup and 4mm wide, if your elc has this then it has had a nitro axle upgrade kit put on it. Heres a few old tech pics of some of my modified elc kits.

Name:	Rp43848.jpg
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	399862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54928.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	399863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16434.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	399864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88628.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	399865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te47108.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	399866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev23610.jpg
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	399867  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.