Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

let's talk about the revo

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 09:40 AM
methane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default let's talk about the revo

maybe i missed the thread so please direct me to it if there was one...

anyhow, r/c car mag. this month has a preview of the revo. they called it the best handling mt out of the box and that it just floats over whoops even at 40mph. i watched a video or two of it and wow, that suspension looks impressive at handling the rough stuff.

i've heard some grumblings about it not being durable. yeah, i know it's not out but why do people think that? traxxas history or revo design? or both?

apparently the acceleration and shifting are quite smooth. the electronic shift control looks like an innovative idea. i think i'd eventually have to get a .21 conversion kit so i can drop in my choice of big block but the 2.5 seems like a solid motor to start with.

for some reason i'm all hyped on the lst but not so on the revo. i think i should be b/c that thing looks like it will be a great truck.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:38 AM
joules

Default RE: let's talk about the revo

I think the Revo is a well engineered truck. I think they are fighting thier brand name image(in my mind they are anyways). I think of Traxxas as a non racing newb level car company, which they are not necessairly.

I think the LST is riding it name brand and the hype. It is still a heavy truck that already has a .26 motor running near to 3 hp. How are you gonna hop that one up for more power or speed? cut weight and or rotating mass. Increasing hp does not seem to be much of an option...

They both have there good and bad points. I just made a list of pros and cons of each. It was tough to be completly unbiased but i tried. I rated them on a 1 to 5 scale of importance for me and added it up. The revo won by far for my needs and wants, even though it is smaller then I wanted, physical size and engine size, and made by traxxas...

I think, we as the consumer, are the real winners in this whole deal. We have so many great options. Gone are the days of crap cars and trucks. We can't go wrong!
J~
Old 05-26-2004, 11:11 AM
allen0622

most of the Revo links are in the Traxxas forum

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/sear...5&sortmethod=d
Old 05-26-2004, 11:57 AM
fhm101

Regards the Revo and LST.
Traxxas has done some serious R&D and come up with a very innovative combination of features that is the Revo. While nothing on the truck is groundbreaking, combining these features in an offroad specific vehicle is. My only concern regards the Revo is the long pushrods for the suspension being out front where they can be slammed into things. Other than that, if the quality of the new truck is as good as the latest examples of the T Maxx I've seen, it ought to be a jam up runner. As for racing performance, Traxxas' ace Steve Slayden has already shown it to be a great on track performer in both local races in Texas and with his win at the recent Pro Line maxx challenge. While it's true he's running on a set of cut tires that are not available to the general public, I think that's a small thing that will quickly be addressed when the truck is released.
Everyone keeps talking about what an awesome race truck the LST is based on a single slugfest where Adam Drake ran over anyone in his way to take the win. Anyone who has seen the video will know what I'm talking about. The thing that concerns me about all this race talk where the LST is concerned is this. If Losi really had racing in mind for the LST, why is it coming from the RTR Losi? If you are unaware of it, there are actually two different companies selling RC cars under the Losi name, the original company that produces those awesome made in America 10th scale race kits, and the RTR company which sells RTR cars manufactured and built in Taiwan. Anyone who has ever worked on examples from both companies well knows the HUGE difference in quality of materials between these vehicles. If Losi had intended the LST to be a world class race truck, why did it not come out of the company that produces world class race cars? Add to that question the fact that there is nothing about the LST save it's size to mark it from the ever growing field of maxx imitators.
IMHO, if you want to race MT, the Revo is hands down the best out of the box truck going. If you want a big azz truck that will be a hoot on the basher grounds, take a long look at the LST, It should be a king basher from h-e-double hockey sticks.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:08 PM
bkmademedoit

i'm stuck being pulled in 4 directions. 1. buy the lst...looks more like a basher. 2. buy the revo...i think it'll handle alot better than lst, a bit more reasonable in price 3. give CEN a try, ignoring all the bad mouthing because they're a new company, and buy the genesis. 4. buy the tried-and-true savage 25.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:16 PM
ThermalRD

The Revo is no doubt gonna be a big hit. Traxxas has a cult like following, so you know it will sell. The maxx is a great truck, and im sure the Revo will be an excellent choice. The LST is awesome too. FHM mentioned that it was made by a different division of Losi. To me that statement is discrediting Losi. To be fair, you should mention that ALL companies make the RTR kits over seas. It simply costs too much to have those assembled here in the states. I did however see the US gas champs videos, and i was shocked to see the poor driving from a PRO class race. In all fairness, other trucks were running into Drake as often as he was running them over. Im not sure why that was allowed without penalty, but i know at my track you make way for the fastest driver. I think Joules said it best. We the consumer are the winners here. There are ALOT of good choices now. I'll be working on getting a Revo soon as well.

Matt
Old 05-26-2004, 01:17 PM
Duff_Beer_12oz

I think if the revo turns out to be durable then i will buy one but if not then i might buy an LST or Genesis. If i pop a Sirio 27 into that light weight then it'll be fast as heLLLLL!
Old 05-26-2004, 01:34 PM
Mxracer45

ORIGINAL: Duff_Beer_12oz

I think if the revo turns out to be durable then i will buy one but if not then i might buy an LST or Genesis. If i pop a Sirio 27 into that light weight then it'll be fast as heLLLLL!
Boy, if a .27 engine could fit in that revo they would of put it in their. There wont be any .27 in that truck. The .15 is barely crammed in their.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:48 PM
bkmademedoit

how can a .15 possibly be that powerful? my mt2 has a t15 and it's a good bit smaller than a MT.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:04 PM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

That's one thing about the Revo...because it has the cool 'monocoque' sculpted chassis, it's gonna be a while, if EVER, before someone comes out with an extended chassis that'll handle a .21-.28.

It takes a LOT of technology to make this chassis, unlike that of the T-Maxx which was super-easy to copy & modify. If anyone does do it, it'll probably be Traxxas, or maybe UE.

But I think it's a given that the Revo CAN handle the Sirio/Fantom/Picco .21 smallblock variants that work on the Maxx, and with a truck this light, it'll be hard to justify anything bigger.

Dean
Old 05-26-2004, 03:33 PM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

ANOTHER thing about the Revo that isn't oft discussed is the cam-action rockers in the suspension linkage. I was talking to a Losi tech guy re. my Mini-T, and I brought up the LST & Revo & how they're gonna be duking it out. He had a LOT of nice things to say about the Revo, but said he had real problems wth the inboard shocks/linkage setup. He didn't like the idea of introducing a complex linkage system into what has always been a simple, direct, up 'n down shock action

But I'm starting to see the logic & reasoning for this, even if he isn't. Sure, the rocker arms are exposed (sorta), but in every other truck, the SHOCKS are exposed, and there will undoubtably be titanium and/or CF replacements available.

But the biggie is those interchangable rockers. THEY are the very reason for this complex suspension linkage, not just to move the shocks inboard. The shape of these rockers, and the way they work, is very similar to the cams on Nautilis fitness machines, which revolutionized things in the '80s. They add PROGRESSIVE RESPONSE to what was always a linear, round-pulley/cable setup.

So in the Revo, you get TRUE progressive dampening, not some quasi-effective setup with variable width springs or multiple springs. And by varying the rocker/cams, you can tailor your suspension far more effectively (and easier!!) than anything else out there. Think about it...no changing shock springs and/or oil to suit your needs every time you run in different places. All you do is change the rockers!!!

Traxxas didn't to all this jsut to be different & move the shocks, it's clearly gonna work better in terms of adjustibility and progressive dampening.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:50 PM
joules

I agree deandome. A well engineered truck to be sure. I can't wait.
J~
Old 05-26-2004, 03:52 PM
fhm101

ORIGINAL: ThermalRD
FHM mentioned that it was made by a different division of Losi. To me that statement is discrediting Losi. To be fair, you should mention that ALL companies make the RTR kits over seas.
Matt
First of all, the Losi RTR line is not made by a different division of the same company, it's made by an different company altogether. I know it sounds goofy, but it's got something to do with Losi's arrangement with Horizon. Either way the Losi RTR's are not made in Taiwan because of cost, they are made there because the American division of Losi will not make them. As for other companies making their RTR's overseas, of the 2 companies that manufacture RC cars in America, Losi is the only one that has the RTR's totaly manufactured and built overseas, AE RTR's are assembled in Mexico from the same American made parts that you get in an AE race kit. You can't count any other company since all other RC cars are made overseas by overseas companies, except Traxxas which you really can't count as none of their cars or parts are manufactured in America. As I said before, if you have had the chance to own or work on an American made Losi and a Losi RTR you are well aware of the HUGe difference in the quality of materials used by the two companies.
Am I trying to discredit Losi? Not a chance, their US made race kits are as good as it gets and their hard earned record more than proves this out. Am I saying the "other" Losi is trading on the racing success of the US company by getting one of the US companies top pros to drive the RTR for them? You bet I am.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:12 PM
kennebell50

Traxxas looks appealling to newcomers into the hobby, flashy ads taking up lots of space, outragious speed claims, blah, blah. It hooked me at first. In this order I had a Nitro Rustler 2.5(burned up engine at 1 gallon), T-maxx 2.5(broken piston at 3/4 gallon), Sportmaxx (burned up at 2 gallons), and an E-maxx and a fortune in A-arms, bulkheads, skidplates, etc in every truck. The Losi looks like a pretty good truck, but stay away from the Traxxas unless you plan on buying about $500 in spare parts. The best R/C I ever owned was my Kanai 2 buggy with an RB WS7 engine. It was pricey, but more than worth it. Fast as hell and never ever broke. I tried and was on a mission to break a part and it never did. Now I'm into large scale R/C because of the high price of nitro fuel. I can run all day long for about $3 in fuel and the engines last years, not months.