Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

TRX 2.5R vs. HPI S-25?

Old 05-08-2004, 05:40 AM
stevo56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRX 2.5R vs. HPI S-25?

hey all fellow monster truckers: I have a problem. Im trying to figure out if I should buy a savage SS or a Revo when it comes out.
And one one my criterea is the engine: which is better between the TRX 2.5 or 2.5R and the S-25?
I want to know what the durability is, what are the advantages and defaults of both engines and what the advantages of a big block are, since I heard that the Tmaxx stock has better acceleration and top speed than the SS stock.

Thanx a lot y'all!!
Old 05-08-2004, 07:51 AM
Maxx-Crusher

Default RE: TRX 2.5R vs. HPI S-25?

I am not sure but I don't think that the 2.5r has been used in a previous truck or car so dependability will not be known for at least a few months after release.

The hpi nitro star has been very durable for me and HPI offers a $99 exchange replacement for any engine failures when it does get trashed
Old 05-08-2004, 10:03 AM
tidus10

doesnt the traxx tmaxx have the 2.5r? plus the revo looks like it can handle anything it looks sick
Old 05-08-2004, 11:33 AM
ThermalRD

No, the maxx has the original 2.5 motor. Its hard to compare the motors. The 2.5, and the 2.5R are both small block .15's. They are best suited for LIGHT weight applications. That maxx, and the Revo are around 9 lbs. Alot lighter in race form. So they dont need the big block. The savage SS is a bit heavier, with pretty much no way to drastically reduce weight. It needs the big block. As far as reliability, the SS motor to me is a user friendly motor. The 2.5 motor needs a little more patience. The 2.5R still has to be tested by the general public.

Matt
ORIGINAL: tidus10

doesnt the traxx tmaxx have the 2.5r? plus the revo looks like it can handle anything it looks sick
Old 05-08-2004, 12:10 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2.5R is a newly renovated TRX 2.5 (which came in the Tmaxx 2.5). It is speculated to have more power than the TRX 2.5. The TRX 2.5 was a problematic engine for some. There were some quality issues with a few batches of this engine. There aren't all bad, only a small percentage left the factory less than perfect. If you got a good one, that engine really screams. Traxxas has listened to people's complaints about it and made an effort to improve it, hense the TRX 2.5R.
Like Thermal said, the reason the Maxx and Revo have a small block compared to the Savage, is weight. They weigh less, so they don't need as large an engine to maintain a good power/weight ratio.
The differences between a small block and big block are; rpm, HP/torque, and size/weight. Small blocks generally produce less power and torque than big blocks, but small blocks also produce higher rpms than big blocks.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:29 AM
tidus10

yeah the 2.5 for tmaxx isnt pushing any power and it doesnt seem very good and it takes for ever to break in!
Old 05-16-2004, 10:49 PM
rdmonster

No one knows of the revo's capabilities just yet. It does look very cool and fast but those are strictly videos so who knows. The 2.5 is a very nice motor in a light truck. A little sensitive but easy enough to tune. The savage motor is more powerful but with more work to do because of increased weight.The savage is definitly a brickhouse. I have had a hard time busting anything on it and stock for stock with a good tune the t-maxx simply isn't a ton faster.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:05 PM
xtm

I know my maxx with my sirio.18 in it is faster then my savage25 but the 2.5r engine cant get that much faster then the regular 2.5 because i think the 2.5 has already been pretty tweaked already as is I just dont think they can pull much more out of that motor but only time will tell
Old 05-20-2004, 03:07 PM
Spudnik

i was wondering what is the hp, torque rmp on the two engines. I hear so much about the 2.5 but have never got any thing in the way of numbers

thanks
Old 05-20-2004, 03:46 PM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

All I know is the Savage S-25 (RTR version) is reviewed in the brand new RCCA. They liked it, but it maxxed out @ 34mph, and that was with a lot of massaging. They said that it needs more hp....well, for those who care about top speed it does!! Ths SS version of the same engine ekes out a LITTLE more juice, but it's pretty clear to me that the Savage is WAAY slower than the Maxx or Revo outta the box.

Some say the Traxxas 2.5 is fussy, but IMO, MOST high-performance nitros are fussy, and I've been fine with mine.

This comparison isn't fair to either truck, as they are so fundementally different. And really, as you get into it, you WILL probably upgrade engines on EITHER truck after you wear the first one's sleeve & piston out. And if you figure that in, the Savage actually gives you a lot more engine options in a wide price range (.21s-.28s), where the Revo will only take Maxx-ready engines (Fantom & Sirio .18s, probably the new mid-block .21 Picco variants.

So as you choose, stick to the trucks more than the engines when comparing.

And you REALLY should add the Losi LST to your list. I think that's gonna be the best truck on the market (faster & WAAY more sophisticated than the Savage and more rugged than the Revo). The Savage SS & S-25s are minor evolutions of a 4-5 year old design, where the Revo & LST are both 'clean-slate' trucks that have too many features & advantages to list!!
Old 05-20-2004, 04:08 PM
xtm

thing is u cant compare these engines the savage is .25 of a cubic inch and the max is .15 what makes the differece here is the weight but I sure can tell u the savage is a better basher truck then the maxx out of the box speed isnt everything if that is the case get a buggy u wont be disappointed the s 25 claim is 2.5hp @ 29,000 rpm and the max is somewhere around 1.33 hp not sure at what rpm (2.5 non r) that was a dyno done my 1 of the mags I got kicking around all about wieght here
Old 05-20-2004, 04:48 PM
sn0wrider
My Feedback: (1)

i say get the SS, everyone and their cuzins brother is gonna have a REVO
Old 05-20-2004, 04:58 PM
Nitro10

If you are looking for a track truck the REVO is gonna be hard to beat. Its tough to say how durable the REVO will be, but everyone knows the Savage is the current leader in bashing. As far as engines go their both pretty straight forward. I dont think the "new" 2.5r has any internal differences than the old 2.5 but the bigger cooling head should help things a bit. There are so many new trucks coming out its a tough decision...all one can do is wait. I think the REVO will rule the track solely from its stellar suspension and light weight. On the other hand if your not a track junky you may enjoy the durability of the Savage. Once again you may want to wait on the rest of the trucks to come out and see how they all pan out.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:57 PM
Spudnik

thanks for the help.
Deandome i already have a savage and a mad force ont he way.

to the savage i hope to add a mach 26 to it.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:00 PM
Spudnik

and the mgt only goes 36 but no one ever says that now do they, and there is a 18t cb with the savage that gets it to 38.8, rc driver said that at least. and speed means that more money is needed when you crash
Old 05-28-2004, 09:05 PM
Mxracer45

RCCA clcoked the savage at 36mph lol not 34mph. I know that the mgt was clocked at 32 mph by rcca.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:22 PM
Spudnik

rc driver had the savage at 38 with the 18t cb and the about 33 stock (didn't into details on that) and the mgt at 36
Old 05-29-2004, 04:33 AM
stevo56

ok thanx to all of you the problem is if I wait to see what people think Im gonna have to get a new truck summer 2005 since I live in France where trucks are twice the price and where importing a truck could cost half of the trucks price! damn france this sux!