Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Help Newbie!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 04:54 PM
SH ByA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Newbie!!!

I just bought a Savage 21, and after breaking in the engin I find that its not shifting into second gear at all. I am new to the nitro truck arena and need help on the how to adjust the transmission.

I was also wanting to know if there are any sites or anything that can help in tuning the engine. I dont know if i'm doing it right or not. it might be the weather but i have been having probs getting the motor to run smothly. it happens every now and then. I have run a whole tank of fuel through it and it will run great, but then the next time it wont run the same. I'm using a hotter glow plug for breakin, and traxxas 20% fuel.

Can anyone help??? Any help will be much appreciated. thanks.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:38 PM
DFF

Default Help Newbie!!!

Don't want to be a rude frenchman, but:

1- Find your Savage manual
2- Open it page 17
3- Get the provided allen key
4- remove the rubber parts that cover the hole on the side of tranny
5- Move the spur gear with one hand in order to see the shinny part through the hole
6- With your second hand, turn the brake disc until you see the SECOND set screw
7- Adjust the shifting screw as per manual

Be carefull, the adjusting screw isn't the one with a cross mark, read manual carefully

I would higly recommend to get some red loctite and put some on top of the second set screw (cross mark on manual) and tighten-it down firmly.

For your tuning problem, tuning is a science and you need to gain tuning experiences before you can adjust your engine perfectly.

That's the reason why I guess you better:

A- Go back to your LHS and find some help from the guy that sell it to ya
B- If A is not possible, go to a RC track and ask for help.

Otherwise you could spend hours fidling with the engine and being desesperate not to be able to play as you should (I know 'cause I've been a newbie long time ago LoL)

BTW,

Rule #1 in nitro car: always check your temp

In order to to that, look for an in-board temp gauge or a handheld temp gun.

Hope this help

DFF
Old 05-30-2004, 10:51 PM
rc123or

Default RE: Help Newbie!!!

The reason it might not be shifting into second gear is that you are missing a ball bearing in the transmission, or one of the teeth on the spur gears got chipped, which is very unlikely because they are made of steel. You should open up the car using direction in your manual and see what's wrong is it. After you have opened the transmission it will be very easy to identify what is wrong with it by just checking out all the parts of the transmission.
Now for the tuning, you should just first of all set all the needs to factory settings. After that you should just start your car and start driving it and listening to the way the motor is running. If you can hear the motor sputter, which you probably happen because 2 1/2 turns for the low and high needles is pretty lean, so you will only have to worry about richening the motor. You should only turn the needle about 1/8 of a inch at a time and you should also refer to to your engine booklet for anyother help. It will tell you how the engine reacts when it's to lean or to rich.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:36 PM
rdmonster

Default RE: Help Newbie!!!

You might make sure that its not running extra rich.If it is very very rich the engine will not get up enough rpms to shift the tranny.Its easy to tell if its rich because it will be sluggish and not go very fast.It can be very rich and run good but not well enought o make it shift.See if you have a ton of blue smoke or even a little fuel running out of the exhaust.If either of these things are happening its too rich.If its very rich lean it out a little and see if it helps.You may have it tuned good and the problem is somewhere else but I always like to try the simple stuff first.Good luck.