Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Suggestions please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 12:56 PM
justinp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions please!

Hey guys, I have flown r/c airplanes for some time now, but now I am moving towards rc cars, and I'm going to have to ask the newbie questions! So, which car would you suggest for off-road dirt tracks? I think I want nitro, should I? I have been looking at a Traxxas Nitro Sport, and the truck found on ebay, item number 5900632020 . What are your suggestions? Are there any things that I should really want, or stay away from? Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Old 05-31-2004, 06:14 PM
<conrad>

Default RE: Suggestions please!

if ur lookin for a stadium truck thenu should get the nitrorustler or the cenn mt2

if ur lookin for a monster truck then u should get either a savage or madforce
and if u feel like spendin a **** load of money than get the lst
Old 06-01-2004, 01:35 PM
mecky33

It all depends on what you want. A Cen MT2 is a good 1/10th scale MT to go with. they are durable and inexpensive to repair. If you want something larger go for a Cen Genesis, Mammoth or a Savage.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:16 PM
<conrad>

I have been looking at a Traxxas Nitro Sport
dont get a nitro sport, if ur goen 1/10 sale and ur racing get the rc 10 or nitro rustler and if u want to bash a 1/10 scale then get a cenn

if u want a monster truck than i really recommend te mad force fore it is just like a real monster
Old 06-01-2004, 06:21 PM
fourwheeler

Dude don't buy that car on Ebay...Acme?!??!??! aren't they always selling stuff to the Coyote to catch the roadrunner?? And it never works!!!

Buy an XTM excellerator for an ST or Savage for MT.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:30 PM
Q8 RC

if you want a good looking truck and if you want a real monster parking in you garage then go with the MAD FORCE.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82355.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	138704  
Old 06-02-2004, 04:19 AM
RCnutz

I've owned 5 t-maxxes and loved each one of them! People say the savage is this and that... well i own a savage too and it is by far less agile than the T-maxx and far more expensive to fix than the T-maxx.
for an entry level RC nitro truck T-maxx is the best in my opinion because you find parts for it at any hobby store and because it is a light and powerful truck.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:00 AM
fhm101

ORIGINAL: justinp

Hey guys, I have flown r/c airplanes for some time now, but now I am moving towards rc cars, and I'm going to have to ask the newbie questions! So, which car would you suggest for off-road dirt tracks? I think I want nitro, should I? I have been looking at a Traxxas Nitro Sport, and the truck found on ebay, item number 5900632020 . What are your suggestions? Are there any things that I should really want, or stay away from? Thanks in advance for any and all help!
If you are new to rc car racing, especially off road, it would be much simpler for you to go electric to start with. You have so much to learn about setting up the car, not to mention learning to drive, and with electric you don't have the added dimension of having to also learn to tune and run a nitro car engine. With a properly built electric car you can simply drop in a battery pack and run it, which will allow you to concentrate on the actual control and set up of the car. I've seen plenty of people that started with a nitro rc car and dropped the hobby from frustration with not being able to get a handle on the engine quickly enough. Rather than learning to drive and set up the car they spent all their time trying to get the engine started, or keeping it running, or shagging their car after it stalled. Get a Losi RTR truck, a decent battery charger, and a few decent stick packs and go have fun. If you decide you like rc car racing and want to move up to nitro, sell the electric, or keep it and race two classes.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:43 AM
nurch

I would have to suggest the Duratraxx Evader stadium truck, if you are going down that route. The Duratraxx Evader is a very good handling truck and it handles its own extremely well. Very impressive for a Duratraxx product! If ot that, then the Mugen MST-1 stadium truck. That truck is a little pricey (since Mugen's ego is becoming larger and feel that their once affordable products should now cost an arm and a leg because they are winning races) but it is also a very good handling truck. Very easy to setup, though not as easy as the Duratraxx Evader is.

As for MT's, I would suggest the HPI Savage for a beginner. Parts are all over the place and the manual for that truck is written very well and very coherently. It is perfect for a new person to understand. As far as the CEN Genesis is concerned, I would opt against it. If you want to shell out that much money for that truck, I would suggest going for the Losi MT. CEN products are good, but getting parts can be your worst nightmare. Traxxas MTs are, well, after a boat load of money has been spent, perhaps even a mortgage pulled out to hop one up, are cool. But why spend a ton of money just to have fun? Although the new REVO truck looks OK, but I am still against that turnbuckle connected on the arm to the lever on the shocks. That is begging for problems. I am very sure of that.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:08 PM
Q8 RC

the revo from traxxas is a good MT too.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:37 PM
RCnutz

T-maxx!!! is way easier to work with than the Savage. The batery box position sucks in the savage and not to mention the unprotected reciever box unlike the T-maxx which has a fully protected reciever. and it's way cheaper!!! 370 compared to 419 for the savage
Old 06-03-2004, 06:16 PM
fourwheeler

The battery box in the Savage is very well protected so that is not an issue. But RCNutz is right about the T-Maxx being easier to work on.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:57 AM
rdmonster

Of course the tmaxx is easy to work on ...you have to.My maxx is being worked on five minutes for every three that it runs.If they were hard to work on then that nightmare would be even worse.Maybe I drive too hard or just had a steep learning curve but my maxx breaks ever so constantly.Theres a reason for all those factory and aftermarket parts.You simply have to have them.On the other hand my lhs must wast their money on savage parts because I've never needed a single one. The battery box is also well sealed and although a poor design once you open and close it a few times you should be able to figure it out.I also think people say the savage is so hard to work on because its not something you have to do often.I opened mine up to replace a dogbone that popped out and all I can say is piece of cake.One other thing.On post said that the revo is a good MT.Im sure it is but lets at least wait till they come out before we say how great they are!!!The tmaxx is a little cheaper at first but the savage is way way cheaper in the long run.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:24 AM
Vintage_Duff

i have a perfect solution for all this b!tchin
how about a menace.21 its fast 70mph+ out of the box
easy layout to work on u can get it to 100mph+ with a sirio.27
its unreal on dirt and if u want to race onroad u can lower it and put some onroad tires on it

done

Vintage....