My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What a tough desicion!

I've been reading all these threads on which is the best and worst truck on the market and all the soon to be trucks on the market, god, I wonder how average poeple in somewhere, usa get such insider info on up coming trucks.
Here's the problem, I currently race my xxx-nt, my mugen mbx4 and I want to get a monster truck and start racing that as well. I currently have a friend that owns way too many trucks, however, he works at the hobby shop and it's expected of him to do so. I voiced my question to him, since I race with him and he said get an MGT all the way, however there are way too many good trucks out there to choose from. You have monster truck class and big block class, I like the size of the MGT but it's lost it's luster after working on his all the time. You have the savage ss, mamoth and a soon to be losi.
In the small block trucks you have Traxxas T-Maxx, REVO, Cen MT-2, Tamyia TNX and a HPI MT-2. It's soo hard to find one that is a cut above the rest, but I think I've narrowed it down to the REVO, after reading and studying the truck I'm pretty impressed, electronic shifting, F-1/indy style lay-down shocks, ultralight monocoupe chassis, twin steering servos, sealed everything and the part supplies should be good to above average if it's anything made by traxxas. Do you guy's see any thing I'm not, this truck seems to be pretty good, although I read on the traxxas site that at the proline challange it got spanked by the Tamyia TNX all the way till the end when all the tamyia drivers ran out of fuel. Well, I have some time to decide but for now, I can't wait to see how the lst and revo look, I have no big issues with any truck out there but I've been having visions of a revo with a sirro .18 popped in it and me holding a 1st place trophy.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:15 PM
Vintage_Duff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: What a tough desicion!

if ya wont to race the REVO looks really good and another
fast truck with unreal acceleration and speed is the XTM mammoth
Old 06-12-2004, 11:29 PM
ranger1
My Feedback: (32)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

keep in mind that the revo has a .15. and just like the mgt people that buy them are swapping engines as soon as they get the truck . dont get me wrong the mgt is a great truck but even my lhs guy that has one swapped the engine for a .21 before he even ran the truck. and after that said the truck is a bear. runnig strong. and the revo is a as we say in the car biz (is a first year truck ) meaning that thay need to work the bugs out of it . it my very well be a great truck from the mag ads but i need to see one run before i lay out almost $500. for a truck.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:40 PM
packerfan3001
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the MGT comes with a .21??
Old 06-12-2004, 11:49 PM
planebuilder66

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was poking around on the tamtia site and noticed that it can take a beating and it rips!, the parts are pretty cheap for it except the major stuff like trans and wheel sets. The motor is ok but I would ditch the electric start and go pull start, saves weight and is more reliable than the side mounted electric units. I still like the revo a whole lot but the tnx is creaping up on the boards as a contender, but then again, the parts support still is the usual tamyia, buy a tree for 1 part and chuck the rest in a bin and do it again. In the end you have enough parts to make 3 trucks except for the few that break.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:58 PM
fhm101

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The electronic shifting in the revo is only for reverse which you will remove for racing if that's what you are going to do with it. Regards it being a new design. It is and it may have some weak points, (the shock pushrods mounted outboard of the arms worries me), but if it's built using the latest plastics, bearings, and attention to detail I've seen in the latest run of maxx trucks, the only worry would be design, as the latest maxx trucks look worlds better than did even the first run of 2.5's. Speaking of 2.5, the P/N for a piston and sleeve set for the revo is different than the P/N for the same part in the maxx engine so I'm guessing the new unit will replace the current offering. In addition to this it also now features a machined head that I've been told has had the chamber reworked to produce more power and cooler head temps, so it looks like traxxas is still improving on their existing products that will carry over to the new truck.

I heard from my friends that saw them run at the Pro Line that the TNX looked mighty tough, but they also said they had been extensively worked and had a couple of ringers driving them so one would expect them to look good. I feel you on the Tamiya parts situation, I've got an old stadium baja beetle and the only reason I don't have a ton of parts I'll never use is because I only ran it a few times before i started building Losi buggies and trucks for electric racing.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:22 PM
ThermalRD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Im starting to hear some good things about the TNX. Heres a pic of one that was in that race. They had the stock header, and pipe on that thing.

Matt
Old 06-14-2004, 08:57 PM
jefx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well if you're thinking of the Revo, then you probably won't want to switch the engine out. The TRX 2.5 is a powerful small block and will contend "as is". You should be happy with the size engine that cames in whatever truck you choose, because upgrading to a more powerful engine often times means upgrading the drivetrane as well, which can get pretty costly. I put a Sirio 18 in my Tmaxx, and had to upgrade the entire drivetrane, because it was too powerful for the truck. The Revo is designed to handle the TRX 2.5R and nothing more.

By getting a small block truck, you are limited to just that, a small block truck. While they can be great, your engine options are limited without costly conversions and upgrades.

Although the Revo is impressive, if you want to race you should give serious thought to the GS Storm SUT, as it is a pure bred race machine based off the buggy platform, and includes a .25 big block engine, which means your future engine options are wider.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:22 PM
planebuilder66

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think if I wanted a buggy /truck I would get an ofna dominator or pirate, I'm sticking with small block trucks. Yes you do have to do upgrades but that makes it more durable in the race, lightening it up also helps the durability factor. Less weight to push and stop goes a long way to survivability. I have been racing a xxx-nt for about a month or so and I do understand the point your comming from, I too went through this issue, but right now I have my xxx-nt running an RB C12 with only a few mods, just enough to keep it together for the long runs. Anything more is building for crashing, which will slow you down, take my friends MGT, we worked the weight down to 9.5 LBS, stock is over 12LBS. The truck is now faster, more agile, running 4 shocks and geared 18/49, yes it still pulls the wheels off the ground on hard acceleration. The REVO is a cake-walk to mod for race durability and handling, speed is a bonous to have.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:10 PM
jefx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh. From your original post I thought that you weren't sure whether to go big block or small block, so I was just giving some opinions on the pro's and con's of each.

If you're gonna go with the Revo, I still stand by my opinion on switching the engine out. It's hard to tell how the Revo will do in real-world applications since it's not out yet, but from my perspective, I'm not too sure on that shock set-up. It looks impressive and all, but from the videos I've seen, it looks more like a basher design and not a race design. To me, it looks like you'll get a lot of unnecessary body roll due to unnecessary shock travel. They've designed the truck to have super shock travel, enough to run over a curb without a problem, but in most contemporary racing designs the shock travel is limited to provide only what is needed, which defeats the whole purpose of what Traxxas has done.