methane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default economic analysis of FG MT vs. nitro MT

I did a rough cost analysis to see if the FG MT is actually cheaper in the long run than a typical MT.

Msrp on the FG = $1100 but street is closer to $900
Need two servos = say about $100 (could obviously be more/less)
A radio, futaba 3pm is $120

Total = $1120

An lst comes w/ radio, servos, starter and truck = $560 street

I didn’t count battery packs, chargers, etc. since both trucks will require it and thus it’s a wash

Fuel for the FG = $2 a gal, yes oil needs to be added but at a 32:1 mixture the cost is pretty small so $2/gal is a good estimate

Fuel for nitro = $15/gal + $5 for a glowplug every 6 tanks or so

the FG has a 700ml tank and gets 45 min per tank, the lst, what maybe 160mL and 20 min. runtime

After a bunch of calculations the lst (or any other standard MT) costs $3.91 more per hour for fuel

The cost difference between the FG rtr and the LST rtr is about $560 which makes the breakeven point at about 286 hours of fuel or (about 95 weeks of running 3 hours per week)

I didn’t take into account hop-ups for either vehicle, a replacement motor for the nitro vehicle, nor the much higher parts cost of the FG as the calculations would take too much time.

CONCLUSION = if you have to replace a nitro motor in 2 years, the FG is definitely cheaper (although $200 for a set of FG tires probably makes that a wash too). If nothing breaks on either truck (yeah right) the FG is cheaper after about 2 years
Old 06-16-2004, 08:53 PM
jefx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: economic analysis of FG MT vs. nitro MT

Well it looks like you have some free time.

Nitro fuel costs closer to $25 a gallon, and run time is closer to 10 minutes per gallon.
But the convenience of size and race track compatatibility is priceless.
For everything else, there's Mastercard.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:39 AM
popuptoaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think a lot depends on how long you keep your Rc's and what classes are raced near you, im gonna be getting the Marder Monster when they get round to releasing the 4x4 conversion, as its considerably cheaper over here, im after the ease of use (i.e starting the thing and not having to tune it everytime i run it) and the fact that the engine will last for years should make up for the cost of the other parts. Im not really a racer either, just wanna go out and bash about mostly.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:49 PM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pickup or SUV needed to tote your toy around: $18-35,000

Gas need to drive to places that you can run a 1/5 scale truck: $20-200 per month

Costs associated with property damage/personal injuries/fines resulting form you NOT driving to places that will let you drive your truck (i.e bashing around your house/street): Too hard to figure..could be LOTS!!!

Therapy needed for self & kids who are shunned & ridiculed by those who are having fun with their NORMAL, TRACK-FRIENDLY, POPULAR 1/8 & 1/10 scale trucks: $5-50,000 per year.

Dean
Old 06-17-2004, 01:36 PM
fhm101

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jefx
Nitro fuel costs closer to $25 a gallon, and run time is closer to 10 minutes per gallon.
10 minutes per gallon?? I get around 7 minutes on 125cc so lets see how much run time per gallon that is.
1 gallon = 3785.41 cc
3785.41 cc / 125 cc = 30.28 tanks per gallon
30.28 tanks * 7 minutes = 211.98 minutes of run time per gallon
211.98 / 60 = 3.53 hours of run time per gallon.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:41 PM
popuptoaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Deandome

Pickup or SUV needed to tote your toy around: $18-35,000

Gas need to drive to places that you can run a 1/5 scale truck: $20-200 per month

Costs associated with property damage/personal injuries/fines resulting form you NOT driving to places that will let you drive your truck (i.e bashing around your house/street): Too hard to figure..could be LOTS!!!

Therapy needed for self & kids who are shunned & ridiculed by those who are having fun with their NORMAL, TRACK-FRIENDLY, POPULAR 1/8 & 1/10 scale trucks: $5-50,000 per year.

Dean
I got a mate who lives 2 mins up the road with 40 acres of land to use it on, the kids aint allowed near my RC's and anyone who laughs about my truck will find out that a Marder is really tough and runs over other peoples toys, or, that its a bad idea to laugh at a 200lb 6'6" guy with an attitude!!
Old 06-17-2004, 01:48 PM
Deandome

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: fhm101

10 minutes per gallon?? I get around 7 minutes on 125cc.
I was wondering 'bout that too!!!!

Maybe a 1/5 scale NITRO truck with a 30cc engine would burn like that, but his comparison was using lil' nitro trucks.

I'd say your 7min/125cc is about right. There are 3785.4 cc per gallon, and that comes to 195 minutes of run time per gal (3.25 hours).

Whadda smokin, Jeff (besides the competition!)??

EDIT: Thanks for making me look foolish by editing your post to include the calculations that weren't there originally, FHM!! And you were more accurate than me to boot!!

Dean
Old 06-17-2004, 01:59 PM
Deandome

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was kidding, of course.

But my 4 y.o. LOVES hanging out when I bash, and I love being able to run all over my neighborhood, too!! It also draws quite a crowd, and I'm paranoid & extra-careful enough w/a 9 lb truck re. hitting people & other's property...it'd be exponentially worse with a big boy!!

Yes, a big truck would be a blast, but it'd be lonely unless some friends/trackmates had them as well. I think a Marder would be a great SECOND truck, but if it was an 'either/or' decision, I think the choice is pretty clear.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:43 PM
nitrobashinauz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

no he meant per tank,
and this report wasnt very convincing,
i thought it would be cheaper quicker than that
Old 06-17-2004, 06:49 PM
popuptoaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was kidding too, i havent hurt anyone for laughing at me for years!! pmsl

im not sure the size difference would cause probs for running in a neighbourhood, i run a MTA-4 (MGT) and its noisier than the marder is, so it may actually be better round my way. plus my current truck weighs 12lb already!

The other thing is none of my mates have trucks, a few have planes or buggies so mostly we all congregate up on the farm and just swop round our toys or watch everyone else and drink beer and smoke!

It all personal choice, heavily influenced by the fact that if i buy one from direct from germany it will be around the same price as my nitro truck was, cos we pay more for them than you do, mine was £500 all in, an i can get the marder monster for just under £600 at current exchange rates.

I thought it would be cheaper faster as well as it happens, but then, you cant put a price on turning up, starting your truck and just running it all afternoon, going home and stcking it in a cupboard and knowing it'll be all right next time too, they are hugely less high maintenance than a nitro truck.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:13 PM
jefx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Deandome

ORIGINAL: fhm101

10 minutes per gallon?? I get around 7 minutes on 125cc.
I was wondering 'bout that too!!!!

Maybe a 1/5 scale NITRO truck with a 30cc engine would burn like that, but his comparison was using lil' nitro trucks.

I'd say your 7min/125cc is about right. There are 3785.4 cc per gallon, and that comes to 195 minutes of run time per gal (3.25 hours).

Whadda smokin, Jeff (besides the competition!)??

EDIT: Thanks for making me look foolish by editing your post to include the calculations that weren't there originally, FHM!! And you were more accurate than me to boot!!

Dean

Oops! I meant "about 10 minutes per tank".
Come on, you all know what I meant.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:51 PM
Deandome

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dunno if this comparison is gonna hold up for you Europeans....

Your petrol prices are actually getting pretty close to some of the lower-priced nitro fuels!!!!!

Gas is, what, $5-7 per gallon...maybe MORE.....especially since you're supposed to use PREMIUM in Zenoahs (and ALL small gas motors, for that matter: chainsaws/mowers/trimmers, etc.!!)??? Many RCers here use airplane fuel that's about $10-15 per gallon...sometimes even less!!!

Maintainence/tuning/wearing out...those are still factors, but fuel costs are sadly getting pretty even!!
Old 06-18-2004, 02:51 PM
fhm101

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry if I did a bad thing.
Regards running RC's in the neighborhood, or anywhere else for that matter. One of the best things you can get for your RC habit is membership in the AMA. That's not the American Motorcycle Association, it's the Academy of Model Aeronautics, I think. Either way, membership in this organization includes a nice insurance policy to cover all those aw **** moments with potential to run into serious money. It covers ANY RC you are operating, ANYWHERE you are doing it. The exception to this is you cannot earn your living driving, flying, sailing, etc. an RC vehicle. I saw a 20 year veteran pilot crash a huge airplane into a 3 day old fully loaded Chevy Tahoe once. It broke the drivers door window out and ruined the door and roof pillar and wound up costing over $3,000 to repair. When it happened, the pilot didn't even get excited, he simply whipped out his AMA card and gave the Tahoe's owner the contact info he needed to get the thing fixed. Which he did with zero problems.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:58 PM
Deandome

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was kidding, of course, re. your previous post.

That insurance sounds cool, but I wonder if it is at all necessary, as I'd think such damage is covered by your homeowners insurance (yes, even though you're not at your house).

But assuming it's pretty cheap, it's still probby a good thing, as that $3K claim wouldn't affect his "real" insurance rates at all!!

I'll check it out!!

Dean