Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

New track in Denver Co, need advice

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

New track in Denver Co, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 01:20 PM
codiddley
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New track in Denver Co, need advice

I just got a contract to build some RC car/truck jumps and a drivers podium at a local hobby store/ rc track. They are building a 2 acre outdoor figure eight dirt track with berms and a 4' high tabletop in the middle, about 10-20' long, with two more 3' jumps with landings elsewhere on the track. I haven't driven RC cars/ trucks in YEARS, so I have very little idea what the technonogy is capable of now.

What I am looking for is to know what basic sizes/ shapes of jumps so I can maximize air time and height without breaking cars every launch! RMRC hobbies (also a url) wants to build the coolest track in the metro area, and we need imput! What do you guys think? Any experience with plywood removable / folding jumps? The city won't let us make any "permanent" dirt jumps for liability reasons, but we still want to build something drivers will WANT to compete on. I think we can get away with some small rythem sections and maybe some whoop-d's in dirt.

Thanks for your time, and any advise you can offer!

Cody
Old 06-16-2004, 06:06 PM
lax195
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New track in Denver Co, need advice

make a pond and make a jump in front of it so you have to go off the jump and over the pond or your car gets wasted!!!
Old 06-16-2004, 08:42 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any experience with plywood removable / folding jumps? The city won't let us make any "permanent" dirt jumps for liability reasons, but we still want to build something drivers will WANT to compete on.
Wow, that sucks. Dirt isn't permanent. You could always just flatten it out if there is a problem. Concrete, now that's a little more permanent.

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't really want to compete on a wooden track. But if that's how you have to do it, then you've got some work cut out for you. The beauty of working with dirt is that it can be moved and reshaped relatively quickly with only a Bobcat and some shovels. If you make all the jumps out of wood, then you may have to make several prototypes just to get the angles and sizes right, and if you ever want to change the layout of the track, you'll have to experiment with more prototypes instead of just pushing up a pile of dirt. In fact, dirt is less "permanent" than wood.

It'll be hard to do to get the transitions right. You'll have to figure out the correct concave of the ramps in order to make a smooth transition from flat dirt to the jump surface. If it's too sharply angled, the trucks will bounce while making that transition and while landing, which will make for a sloppy and slow track. Good luck!
Old 06-16-2004, 08:46 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to visit some of the area's local tracks and watch the trucks run. You'd get a better idea of what kind of stuff they can do. You could also get some pictures and measurements, not to copy it, but for a basic idea of the size and distace the jumps should be placed.