My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Tamyia TNX, had to do it!

Well friends, I broke down and bought a TNX, I was a little sceptical about the whole tamyia thing, but I threw the idea of buying more trees than my yard has to the wind. Everybody says to take your time and read all the instructions, so I opened the box and rolled out the truck and filled the tank, fired it up and sat back for about 20 minutes and read the book while it idled. After reading all the info I have heard before, I decided to go to R/C Madness in CT and run the rest of the tanks on the tarmac and the dirt track. I ditched the stock radio gear and installed the spare RX and servos I have for my JR radio, along with a 1100MAH pack. Ran the truck around on the tar for a while to finish the break in and kept the engine under 200 degrees for the first 4 tanks while making small amounts of needle changes. She was running good and not too hot so I turned it loose on the track, all I can say is tamyia earned it's stars on this truck. I freakin rips, lighter and faster than a AE MGT, and handles just as smooth. I put it thru the paces on the track, singles, doubles, step-ups, sharks tooth and a monster criss-cross on the track. Past every thing with flying colors, I did have a lot of bad landings, but nothing broke, all I ever did was pop one ball link, After beating on it for 2 hours, I realized that something was wrong, it's not broken! Usually in the past, if you've ever owned a tamyia, you ran it for a few hours and then had to go get a parts tree, not this time around. Tamyia did their home work on this truck, it stays together a long time. I even landed one time up-side down on the body so hard that it dented and creased it inward to the point that I had to pop it back out from the inside and I bent the body clips down from the impact. I was going to run my xxx-nt this weekend but it appears that their will be a change of plans, the t-maxx's will no longer be in 1st place after this weekend is over. I did buy a few new things for it but they were my own preferences, although I haven't ran the truck with the new tires on it, it can only help me this weekend, if the stock truck ran that good, I can't wait till I have the rest of it done up.
BTW- Get rid of the primer button and put a inline filter on the supply line, the tank has no provisions on the inside for a internal filter. If you replace the wheels, get the offset t-maxx rims, it will sit the same wheelbase as the AE MGT in track and length. I plan on picking up some losi xxx-nt rear shocks to replace the stock plastic oil dampers but, that may not take affect tommorrow, time for tuning will be too short.
Old 06-19-2004, 05:15 PM
ThermalRD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Tamyia TNX, had to do it!

Its good to hear a good review on that truck. I actually had one in my hand a week ago ready to buy it. I decided to wait on it. Only one of my local shops carrys it, and they say parts are hard to find. I also didnt like that the spur gear mesh was not only in a fixed position, but wrong. I still like the truck, but im afraid it will live a short life. Keep us updated on that truck please.

Matt
Old 06-19-2004, 11:49 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah, it's kind of limited in the spur gear department, but I got it figured out, I'm going to elongate the holes and ditch the electrtic starter U-bolt. Plus, I'll switch from their flywheel/bell set-up to a standard one from losi or AE. But currently, in every rtr truck box, they give you the installed spur gear and a spare one in a bag that requires their 16 tooth pinnion, due to the limited engine movement. So I do have two different tooth spurs from tamyia, I just need to do the mods and try it out. But on the flip side, the truck rips as it is from tamyia, I don't think I'll need to change more than the factory supplies. The shocks are the only weak point I found that could have been made a little better, but their out of there tommorrow, Losi xxx-nt rears, all the way around. I changed to Imex pin hawgs on offset t-maxx rims by GS racing, put the orange fire line in place of the thin tamyia fuel tubing with a ofna sintered filter. The steering servo is a 645 hitec and the throttle is a hitec 605, JR receiver and a 1100MAH pack. The tank primer was removed and plugged with a pan head screw and O-ring, I also drilled a hole in the tank flap to accept the zip tie for qiuck pits.
I did some LHS hopping today and ended up with a bounty of parts for it, the terra crusher parts are the same fit, a little heavier and some things are solid instead of lightened out, but they will work and will serve well for back up parts until the OEM parts are available and in stock again.Well see at the races how this truck does, I just came back from my friends house and put the AE MGT and the TNX side by side, their the same size, the TNX is about a 1/2" shorter in length and width, bolth trucks have off set t-maxx rims and after market tires.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:24 AM
victor117

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the tnx 5.2r is fkn sick! its the best car i love it, its way better than my old kyosho truggy, only thing happened to me is that my primer button fell off, ive read that some of you guys took it of and sealed it up, i dont really know what a 'pan head screw or a o-ring' is but i was wondering if i could just cover the little hole up with silicon glue. can anyone help me out please?

thanks
Old 01-31-2008, 03:31 AM
SOILWORK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is a tip. After you plug the hole put some shoe goo around the seams of the tank and on top were you put the plug. This will seal the tank and prevent air getting out from any small hairline fractures.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:31 AM
Junglist8.2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Could you post some pics of your truck when you have it all set up, I'd like to see what you do with the spur gear situation...
Old 02-26-2008, 05:33 AM
muscleflex

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yeah - post some pics. i've always liked tnx but never had the courage to get one :-(