RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

GENESIS REVIEW

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 11:42 PM
REVOvulation
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GENESIS REVIEW

Good stuff. I think all the Genesis buyers should grab a buddy and do this test. Kind of screwed if you have only one radio and no friends near by. (Guess if you live in some remote area, you can watch your Genesis run away for weeks.... ha!)
Old 06-28-2004, 05:19 AM
Webgamer

RCnutz,
thanks for the review, I hope that broken spur gear tooth is not caused by any dirt or small rock that accidentally got into the gears while you were testing. I don't like them being exposed like that. CEN should cover it up.
even so they shouldn't break that easy unless material used is weak - sigh... someone is sleeping in the assembly lines again. I hope I don't get any of those defective parts that passed QA. for a $500+ truck, customers shouldn't have to worry about these issues.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:25 AM
rcblaze

Sounds good to me. Seems like normal break in issues. A little of this a little of that. I' more interested in the performance. So please guys hurry and fix this small stuff and give us some track time reviews or big air something.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:06 AM
aluminum crusher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the genesis come with steel harden gears they should'nt break so easy. But it really does seem like everyone is having problems instead of fun. If you notice no one got a chance to get it pass breakin point to enjoy it. I myself don't want to buy it just to repare it from the start. I like the way the genesis looks and said to myself thats gonna be one hell of a truck when it comes out but I'm no judge. I also don't have the time and money to waste. STEP#1 so far you spend $530.00 bucks just to break it in for 2 to 10 hours then STEP#2 call up cen for some parts. STEP#3 you must wait again for the parts. STEP#4 remove the old parts and install the new parts. STEP#5 go and try to have fun again that seems to be the pattern with this truck. Where is the beef, where is the fun, I kinda think losi will be number one. So I will wait a little while longer. Thanks for the REAL PEOPLE REAL WORLD review. So guy's don't set your genesis on fire yet keep us posted on the out come when your parts come in.[sm=wink.gif]
Old 06-28-2004, 10:16 AM
motorpsycho502

I agree, Canceled my order.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:48 AM
RCnutz

Well... I am pretty mad at the whole thing and most of you are right in here. As far as performance goes... I didn't get to drive it past 2nd gear and that was pretty slow. My take is that a T=maxx out of the box will spank this thing in high speed runs and on a track as well. Bashing wise I can't say yet.

The spur gear tooth I rhing just broke under load due to a problem in the material. At the time when I noticed it I hadn't even driven the truck but 1 tank with a very rich setting so the the truck barely moved.

The fail safe I'm noticing people don't know how to use... YOU HAVE TO SET THE FAILSAFE TO MOVE THE SERVO TO A POSITION YOU WANT WHEN IT LOOSES SIGNAL!!!! It doens't do it on its own. It has a little button on it. To set to a fail position apply the brakes fully and then push the button on the failsafe untill it flickers red then turns to green. To test turn the radio off and the LED on the failsafe will turn to red and the breaks will be applied!

I'm just about to Call Cen and tell them about the broken stuff. I'll let you know how it goes
Old 06-28-2004, 11:53 AM
RCnutz

The fail safe has to be set to a fail position otherwise it doesn't do anything. To set you have to brake all the way then hold the brakes and push the little button on the failsafe unit untill the led becomes green again. To test turn off the radio and the failsafe led should turn to red and brake the truck.

I'm calling Cen about all the problems right now and we'll see what they'll do.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:00 PM
tomandemmy

well when i spend 600 bucks on a truck i expect the failsafe directions to be a little better than badly translated english.Thanks tho for the instructions on how to set it.Now if i can only get a phone call back about all the broken parts ill feel better.update just got off phone and they are shipping me all the parts priority free of charge!they were very informative and understanding.I still love the truck just want to drive it .
Old 06-28-2004, 01:28 PM
Webgamer

.... and that's another thing that concerns me. why does genesis have a POOR manual?? this should be a thing of the past. CEN should cater not only to the expert hobbyists but to newbies like us as well.

are they really a small company? doesn't make sense to me. If you want to grab a big market share you have to have a good execution for a NEW product. How hard is it to do a technical review of that manual? If the writer is having difficulty in english, EMAIL it to the guy who can and is technically knowledgeable about the truck. that's why we have intenet so we can send files accross the globe quickly right? I'ts not an encyclopedia for cryin out loud.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:42 PM
swingman
My Feedback: (77)

I just got this truck yesterday and am still breaking it in. I am doing it per the CEN instructions on the web site and am currently on idle tank 4. Two things I will add to this thread:
1. The glow plug on this is an in-house CEN item I assume. IT broke during the idle run on tank 3 when I noticed the engine died for no reason. I looked around for signs of metal in the crankcase but did not see any. I installed an extra OS glow plug I had and restarted it. I noticed an immediate difference - the engine idled much higher, with more authority and it was much smoother. I think that this has been a common problem with CEN glow plugs, correct?
2. The pull start has got to go! I now have blisters on the backside of my middle an dring finger, as well as one between those 2 fingers near the web. I was wearing a pair of gloves as another thread stated I should. A truck costing 600.00 with an engine with this much compression should have come with an electric or rotostart. My pull starter remains intact, though. I will begin driving it later this evening and will report back what my opinion is.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:50 PM
RCnutz

Well Cen is a small Company!

I just called about the spur gear and about the shift lever and this guy tole me that he'd replace the spur gear but he doesn't think the shift lever broke on its own so he probably won't replaced that which is a simple piece of plastic but anyway.
I am sending the sput gear and the shift lever with the hope that they'll replace both. We'll see.

The Company is so small that they had me put on the letter Attention MIKE like everyone at Cen knows this Mike and probably there is only one Mike.
I'll let you all know if they'll replace the stuff ... That shift lever can't be more than maybe 2 or 3 bucks by itself...

If any of you got questions for me directly please email me at [email protected] and I'll get back to you fast. I hate comming in here to use the PM thing when I can just use the email instead.
Thanks!
Old 06-28-2004, 03:33 PM
ThermalRD

Thanks for the update RCnutz. The way i look at it, CEN should be replacing these broken parts. For that matter, any broken parts before breakin was finished. It would be different if you guys had actually driven them, but thats just not the case here.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:59 PM
eternaldragon

they should replace every part that broke.
im still waiting on my truck to come in.
but why does it seem like every truck has a different problem?
Old 06-28-2004, 07:48 PM
fishthepotomac

We've only heard about three Genesis'. On all three, the pull starter was an issue. On two, the glow plug malfunctioned. On one, a gear broke. So far from the three people that have reviewed their Genesis' on this site, that's all that has broken.

As of now, when I get my Genesis (whenever that will be), which I have had preordered since March from www.zertuchegroup.com, I'm going to do the following before break-in:

1) Take the engine apart. Inspect it for metal shaving left from the manufacture. Lube it liberally with after-run oil. Change the glow plug. I have some OS A5's on hand and I think those will do fine.

2)Replace the pull start with drvcrash's discovery. The shaft start from http://www.sullivanproducts.com/Star...iesContent.htm. I bought two, one for my Genesis and one for my CEN Waveshark. I installed it on my Waveshark and it is working great. It fits almost any engine on the market.

3)Make sure the shocks are filled with oil and think about modifying their position and springs. Hey RCnutz, nice work on those spring modifications. That's a good tip. What weight oil did you use?

4)Replace the receiver to match my radio and replace the battery pack with a rechargeable receiver pack. That CEN transmitter is a gimp!

I can't wait to read Wildhobbies.com review. I know Wildhobbies will do a thorough review, but I also hope they do an honest review and they don't hold back any negative information. It should come out soon.

Thanks RCnutz and drvcrash for your info. And now swingman should have something to say. What do you guys think about the handle? It's obviously not a roll bar. I noticed on one of the first three videos that CEN released on their web site that the cooling head was broken. The Genesis needs a roll bar like the Savage. The prototype of the Genesis had a roll bar just like the Savage. I wonder why they got rid of it.

When I'm done breaking my Genesis in, it better shift into third gear and do wheelies.............or I'm not going to be happy. I like the new bodies that are surfacing.

---Jake
Old 06-28-2004, 07:55 PM
RCnutz

Ya know... no matter what they say.. I've owned many T-maxx trucks and I had absolutely no problems with stuff breaking on breakin time. The Cen dude told me earlier that the shift lever he can't warrant because he doesn't think that broke on its own... so go figure... He will replace a 20 dollar spur gear but he won't replace a 3 dollar piece of plastic that by the way did break on it's own. the darn shift handle was only 1/8 of an inch screwed into it so it didn't have much to hold on into. Anyhow..
I went ahead and sent both parts in and we'll see how it goes.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:27 PM
REVOvulation

ORIGINAL: RCnutz

...I can recall at least 2 instances today when I just wanted to set it on fire and be done with it ...
RCNutz, this sounds like a similar experience to DVRcrash's CEN. It's like a new slogan for CEN: "Buy a CEN, become a Pyromaniac!"
Old 06-28-2004, 10:46 PM
nitrobashinauz

lol, nice one konneker
Old 06-28-2004, 10:54 PM
twisted

hey rcnuts , is cen replacing the items that broke without seeing them or are the insisting you send them in ?
Old 06-28-2004, 11:24 PM
cipoint

a question to all who has a CG: does it shift into 3rd gear?

it seems that the CG doesn't have a 3rd gear!!!
Old 06-29-2004, 12:54 AM
RCnutz

Well... They asked me to send it the broken stuff and they'd look at them to see if blah blah. I already calle dthem about the reciever being bad and they sent me a reciever without having me send the bad one in. I talked to this guy Mike today who sounded a little like a boss or something. I would've loved to give him some love for all the trouble this truck is giving me but I decided to behave. I can afford to sue them with no problems if they screw around with my money so it's up to them. Not my fault they put out there a 500 dollar box of faulty components. Like I said I never had to call Traxxas for example or HPI for parts that broke by themselves because they never did break unless I smashed the truck into a tree and that wouldn't be manufacturer's fault. I did not drive this truck hard at all and I did not hit anything with it so... tah tah!

I never got it to shift into third gear at all and I tried adjusting it several times and still no third gear... Maybe the engine wasn't leaned enough to hit the right rpm's for the third gear. As soon as I get the parts to run it again I'll try to get it broke in.
By the way peoples... there are no parts out for the Genesis and everything must be ordered by a hobby store at this point and it will probably take months before parts will show up here and there.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:21 AM
GENICIDE

my gen came in yesterday

before i started it i marked the flywheel with ink so i can find bottom dead center easily

i ran it for one half a tank. while it was running i could watch a muffler screw back out from the vibration. lol

let cool for an hour.

fill tank get ready for another heat cycle. this time to run a full tank. motor very tight hands blistered already

what happened next is mostly my fault. i think i over primed it. (correction i did over prime)

[:@]with two feet and two hands... half way on the third pull. it hydro static locked and broke the pull rope.[&o]

so pull off starter (without removing engine) fix rope.

[sm=confused.gif]this time to lower the compression i loosened the glow plug. (no more than 1 turn)

it started fine. tighten plug, run tank, let cool.

[sm=redface.gif]time for bed. thats all for now. i'll look on web for roto start in the morning!!!

P.S. I LOVE THIS TRUCK. ill post more later.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:24 AM
Dragstar

Well I got mine yesterday, and what a chock. It is so big!!!

But I dare not even start it up with all the trouble you are having with it. It look so good just standing there.
I think I will try starting it up in the weekend, since it takes forever to break in. I will replace the glowplug with an OS5 from the beginning, because I know it works like a charme in my Savage.

I have noticed from reading the worthles manual that it is possible to make a diff mod like the Savage and get extra spuregears in there. I think I will do that when the parts come in.

It looks like CEN put it together in a hurry, and it is not realy done. [:@]
Do you realy think I should take the engine apart before starting it?
Old 06-29-2004, 03:01 AM
Webgamer

...ooooohhh, I see, now it's starting to make sense. See I thought RTR means Ready To Rock!

RTR really means ...

1. Ready To Repair
2. Replace The Receiver
3. Replace The Radio
4. Replace The Rotten spur gear
5. Replace The Rotten engine
6. Replace The Rotten pull starter
7. Review The Rotten manual
8. Remember The Reviews! (in this forum.)

If all the above doesn't work out then

9. Ready To Return!

Sorry , I'm really a nice guy. just getting impatient.
Where's my $500+ TRUCK! [:@]
Old 06-29-2004, 07:04 AM
rcblaze

Still no drive, some one send me one. I know how to break in a RC with out getting blister's or breaking a pull start. Come on this is my reading material while I work and this is not very informative or good. Step it up fellas. Less complaining and more info. Just my 2 cents. for example The one good tid bit was that a spider gear mod can be added so if the diffs are not strong enough they can be enhanced. I have a questions. What other engine options might be possible?
Old 06-29-2004, 08:00 AM
aluminum crusher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TRY thunder tiger .70 or .90 size. must buy roto start; jane say motor pull start will break and cause headache like genesis. Jane say wait for genesis 2 it will be problem free (NOT ) with a .64 size motor with that .46 pullstart and a price to exceed $690.00. IT will also include a bottle of asprin[sm=lol.gif]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.