Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

mighty ek4 70 nothing comes close

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

mighty ek4 70 nothing comes close

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 06:17 PM
tiger e.k.4 s2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mighty ek4 70 nothing comes close

Hi all i went bashing on the weekend with a few of my trucks inc my new tamiya tnx great truck by the way

i also had my ek70 there for a bash i have seen just about every truck ever made but i am telling you all nothing comes close to
this truck. sure it has issues like diffs get eaten up, axles break , clutch problems, all can be fixed easy

my truck runs a 17 tooth clutch bell single speed early eb clutch assembly every thing is locktighted, diffs are shimmed right
so my problems are few if any

the power of this truck is just crazy , wheelstands all the time for as long as you want, throws rocks and i mean big rocks
big airs all the time, o did i mention wheel stands [>:] yes i might sound a bit one sided to the ek but it is a weapon

ive seen t maxxs ,savages ,tnx, ect all good in there on way but nothing comes close to the ek70 thunder tiger!

does any one else out there own one of these weapons? what do you think of it?
the ek is still the baddest truck out there
Old 07-06-2004, 06:34 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: mighty ek4 70 nothing comes close

I've only heard the bad, that is its an advanced truck, with many issues, but thats what i've heard, i don't believe it. I don't judge anything till i experience it. It sounds like a great truck you must have a lot of knowledge, to make the mods and changes to bullet proof it. Im pretty much an rtr guy I learn by repairing rather than building!!! Your post is enough to make me wanna go order one now though. If i get one I'll be emailing you for tips!!!

Enjoy man, Enjoy moments like those priceless!!!!![:@]
Old 07-06-2004, 07:26 PM
Chevy-SS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, I got two EK4's. They truly are the powerhouses of the monster trucks. I got the 2-speed tranny in one of 'em. Man, that thing flies. People cannot believe how fast it goes, with first and second gear wheelies to boot! lol I use 30% fuel, how about you?

Much as I like the EK4, I don't run 'em much now. I mostly just race, so I am using MGT. Was using T-Maxx, but Maxx is always breaking, even with all the best parts.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:23 PM
tiger e.k.4 s2

Chevy-ss i use 20% in my ek
30% would just make it more crazy than it already is i will try some soon , what clutch are you running?
Old 07-06-2004, 10:43 PM
cipoint

i have ordered one yesterday. hope it will be delivered soon. just saw a few videos and couldn't belive!

by the way there is a kit for the ek4 with a .90 engine!!!!
but i can't find videos or pics of an ek4 .90
someone has a link?
Old 07-07-2004, 05:39 AM
COPO

I have 5 OFNA MT's and 1 EK4... The EK4 is by far the best there is when it comes to pure power.. I love mine.. I also run 30% coolpower fuel.. The .90 conversion isn't happening.. been waiting a long time for this but it is not here in the states.. Maybe overseas..

I really don't see the need for a .90 as all it will do it explode parts.. The .70 does a good job of that now..

To the person that just ordered the EK4.. Have patience with the beast.. They need work out of the box and engine breakin is quite different than a standard ABC engine.. Remember this .70 has a piston ring that needs break in..
Old 07-07-2004, 08:11 AM
Chevy-SS

I too have heard rumors of the .90 conversion, but have never seen one. Here is a good web site that specializes in information about the EK4: http://www.midmad.com/

These are wild trucks. All that raw power means you gotta keep an eye on drivetrain components, but I have found mine to be very durable. I have only stripped one diff and I pound the heck out of the truck. I also had a WOT runaway down the street. It did a good 30 to 35 mph into a fence. I figured it was totalled, but it actually only broke one wheel (the plastic rim). I boiled off the tire and put on a new wheel. I was very impressed with the durability of the truck based on that crash.

Regarding the clutch, I am using stock clutch. I was having a hard time getting it set right, so I made a custom spring tension scale and I set the spring so that there is 3.5 lbs of pull with about 1mm of space between the two clutch halves. In other words, if you held the assembled clutch in your fingers, and pulled on each half to seperate the two halves, I have about 3.5 lbs of resistance when the two halves are about 1mm apart. I used a digital fish scale for this custom clutch-setting contraption, lol. It's very crude, but it works.

Good point about the ringed engine. Much different than ABC. Ringed engines take a long time to break in (up to two gallons), but are less susceptible to damage.

For general bashing, the EK4 is a fabulous truck. For racing, I say get a Monster GT, or maybe wait for the Losi LST.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:49 AM
slojoe
My Feedback: (8)

Hey where did you get the 2 speed from. I can't imagine the speed from a two speed on mine.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:31 AM
Chevy-SS

EK4 parts here (MSJ): http://www.msjproducts.com/main.php3...Fitem%3D798800
more parts here: http://www.autohausrc.com/msj.asp

Both places have been good to order from. You can get the 2-speed, and many more custom parts for EK4, from either of these places. Top speed should be 55 to 60 with the 2-speed. That's damn fast for a big, stock truck!
Old 07-07-2004, 12:44 PM
COPO

The 2 speed is my next purchase for my EK4. Autohaus was out of stock for a long time cause MSJ had some machine issues.. I need to go back and see if it is available now. I haven't run my EK4 in a while cause I been messing with my Titan Twin, but all this talk has got me going to get it fired up again.I miss the 50ft. wheelies...
Old 07-07-2004, 05:19 PM
slojoe

Hey tiger what is needle settings for ek4 mine is not exactly right no wheelly popping action.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:21 PM
slojoe

autohaus is still out of stock with 2 speeds I called them they should have shipment in soon
Old 07-07-2004, 08:38 PM
tiger e.k.4 s2

Hey sloe joe whats up [X(]

my main needle is 3 turns out all the time and had no problems with it everrrrrr
my mid screw is flush , bottom end is 4,1/2 out and idle to suit
have you got a ek4 s2 ? if you have it will have a heli clutch which will work but slips more than it engages, trust me i had one [>:]eventually it will hook up to some extent and wheelly but you have to ring its guts out

to over come this problem you get a early clutch bell 17 tooth, and a early clutch with shoes this will eliminate the slipping
issues and presto wheellies all the time

ek the bad boy[>:]
Old 07-07-2004, 09:07 PM
cipoint

EK4 unlimited
[link=http://www.wolfgangkantel.de/Messe__23_.jpg]pic[/link]
Old 07-08-2004, 05:18 AM
COPO

oh that looks sweet!! would love to feel the power of that .90.. I wish TTR would offer it here in the states.. I would purchase in a second..

Hey maybe we can hook up (some$$$) and you could ship me one here to the USA?? How much is that conversion kit?? I could careless about warranty I just want the kit..
Thanks[8D]
Old 07-08-2004, 06:29 PM
^^_FaWaZ_^^

yeh but whats the point of that .70 its powerful and all but wheres the fun in playing just for 3 minutes or 3.5 minutes it gets overheated very qickly so they stop selling it in K.S.A. , soo many complains about that MT, oh well i just bought a MTA-4 (MGT) heres a pic :
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23693.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	151710  
Old 07-08-2004, 07:20 PM
Bush Wacker

Koo, Fawaz I guess I convinced you into getting it......[8D]
Old 07-08-2004, 08:31 PM
Chevy-SS

ORIGINAL: ^^_FaWaZ_^^

wheres the fun in playing just for 3 minutes or 3.5 minutes it gets overheated very qickly so they stop selling it in K.S.A. , soo many complains about that MT, oh well i just bought a MTA-4 (MGT) heres a pic :
My EK4 runs super and won't overheat, but I know the truck has had numerous complaints, but then again so has just about every other truck. For racing, nothing beats the MGT.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:44 AM
^^_FaWaZ_^^

Koo, Fawaz I guess I convinced you into getting it......

LOL i liked the reverse in it
Old 07-12-2004, 04:25 PM
slojoe

Thanks Tiger I got good throttle response now but my clutch is slipping big time. I ran into another snag running my ek4 it doesn't turn. I got alot of play in the steering but all connections are tight.
Are you guys having steering problems with your ek4?
Old 07-12-2004, 06:45 PM
Chevy-SS

ORIGINAL: slojoe

Thanks Tiger I got good throttle response now but my clutch is slipping big time. I ran into another snag running my ek4 it doesn't turn. I got alot of play in the steering but all connections are tight.
Are you guys having steering problems with your ek4?
This is an easy fix. The EK4 steering mechanism is pretty simple. Both of my EK4's steer with no sweat (I use heavy duty servos though). Disconnect your servo and then turn the wheels by hand. They should turn with virtually no effort. If something is binding, then that's your problem. If the steering linkage moves freely, then it's your servo that's causing the problem.

If your clutch is slipping, then simply take it apart and clean it thoroughly with brake cleaner. Clean the shoes and the clutch bell. The tiniest bit of oil or grease will cause it to slip. After you clean, scuff the shoes and clutch bell with fine sandpaper or steel wool. Also, don't overlook the fact that it may not be the clutch slipping. It could be a loose dogbone cup setscrew or a stripped out wheel. There are lots of things that will mirror the appearance of a slipping clutch.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:41 PM
slojoe

Thanks Chevy SS
I haven't seen a sliding clutch before. I've seen the two shoe jobs found in other mts and if they slip you had to replace them (not much material on them to scuff). But my steering problem may be fixed even though every thing was tight I still had play in the steering linkages had to shim with washers to get some of the play out. Also I changed the steering servo. But my main problem is wide open throttle. This truck pulls hard right. I have to hold full left to keep it straight. Checked the alignment and everything seems to be right. DOES THIS TRUCK HAVE THAT MUCH TORQ.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:34 PM
Chevy-SS

Yer EK4 should not be pulling to the right upon WOT. Mine accelerate very hard and straight, even the wheelies are pretty straight. Two things come to mind that could be causing this:

The first is drivetrain issues. Check the drivetrain real carefully. Does every wheel turn easily? Is something binding? Conversely, something could be slipping, maybe a stripped out plastic wheel or loose diff cup set screw. If something is binding (or slipping), then that would throw more power to one side, which would cause it to veer off. I would also consider taking apart the rear diff and looking at it. Maybe load it up with heavier grease. You might lose a little on-power steering, but you should gain straight-line stability.

The second thing I would look at is radio glitching. The clutch bell and spur are both metal, which can cause problems with glitching. You may be glitching when you go to WOT, which could cause the servo to be very erratic. Hold the truck off the ground while the engine is running and give the throttle a few good stabs (don't blow up the engine). If the servos are erratic, then glitching is the problem.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:09 PM
slojoe

Hey Chevy
I took mine apart I found my problems with the clutch and my steering. I got this thing used by the way. The truck I got was suppose to be a s2 its actually a s1 with a JR tx and a Futuba rx. It doesn't have a slide clutch it has a Heli clutch that was paper thin. Man people these days [>:][>:][>:]........... I got some parts ordered. Maybe I will get this truck staighten out then. The only good thing is that ace is sending me a up graded clutch for free.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:29 PM
Chevy-SS

Hola slojoe,

It sounds like you are makin' some headway man. That's cool. Just pay attention to the little things, especially if you bought the truck used. You should carefully examine every inch of that truck. Tighten every screw, etc, etc.

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.