Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Genesis: Problem Free Owners, or Anybody with Good Things to Say

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Genesis: Problem Free Owners, or Anybody with Good Things to Say

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 08:08 AM
JaysonR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Genesis: Problem Free Owners, or Anybody with Good Things to Say

I know there are a lot of problems with the truck, but I haven't heard anything from people with no problems or a lot of positive things to say. I heard all the negative things three times over. Waiting to hear from people with no problems, or positive things to say.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:45 AM
fourwheeler

Default RE: Genesis: Problem Free Owners, or Anybody with Good Things to Say

I actually hope that CEN gets the Genesis fixed as I think it would make a fun truck to play with in the bashing arena. Big motor and big power equals big fun
Old 07-15-2004, 08:47 AM
binaryterror

The Care packages should be shipped end of July, so basically different reviews should be hitting around August.

If you are in a hurry to buy the truck...I'd suggest getting something until you hear some good news.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:14 AM
JaysonR

Not in a hurry to buy a truck, but I have been following it for a while now. Kinda curious as to how it will turn out. Patiently waiting, but haven’t decided between an assumed problem free Genesis and a LST. Like the Genesis, but it looks like I’d be stupid to buy one with all the problems, not to mention the LST certainly has stuff down. The radio that comes with the LST is a good bonus too, cause I planned on buying one at the same time I brought the truck. But I still like the Genesis, again assuming there aren’t any problems. So, I’m waiting to hear from someone that can say something different besides “The truck sucks†Haven’t really heard a review from someone that has gotten the truck to run right.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:16 AM
crabhab

Good Luck,

I wanna know how many accounts CEN Racing is gonna add to post to this thread. Are there any Magazine Reviews out?
Old 07-15-2004, 10:17 AM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

I dunno....

I was really skeptical 'bout this truck...for LOTS of reasons, but now that I've read the RCCA review, I gotta say it looks like CEN really delivered!!!

At 37-38 mph, it's a lot faster than I ever thought it would be, it certainly is rugged, and I don't really take problems with the first 100 trucks or so seriously...they will/are taking care of them (i.e. the bad spur gears in the first batch)!!!

The only fundemental flaw, according to the article, is that the brakes are kinda lame. Hopefully that can be corrected w/larger rotors thru aftermarketers.

I was carping about CEN & this truck a LOT before it's release, but Now I gotta say it's in the upper echelon. I'd still put it behind the Revo & LST, based soley on design & innovation, but I think it's a better choice than the Mammoth, Savage or even the MGT.

Good job, CEN!!!!

Dean
Old 07-15-2004, 10:38 AM
JaysonR

I havne't seen RCCA yet, how fast did they clock it? From the last post, I think Deandome might have gotton that speed from the mag, if that is true, i thought it was supposed to do 50mph or faster.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:06 AM
drvcrash

I got mine to 31 Mph using my gps strapped to it and thats was only 2rd gear since it wouldnt shift to 3rd
Old 07-15-2004, 11:13 AM
Deandome

ORIGINAL: JaysonR

I havne't seen RCCA yet, how fast did they clock it? From the last post, I think Deandome might have gotton that speed from the mag, if that is true, i thought it was supposed to do 50mph or faster.
I don't think CEN ever said anything about 50 mph!!!! Maybe all you prognosticators did, maybe some Einstein got out a slide rule & tried to calculate weight/horsepower ratios.....who knows.

But getting an 18 lb. truck near 40 is enough for me, and hopefully for the people buying it as well! That's faster than the Savage-25 & MGT, close to the T-Maxx, and the Mammoth is 'just' a truggy...it shouldn't really be judged like other trucks.

And yes, I did get that from the mag...I don't have it with me at work, but I'm pretty sure it was 37.6 or something.

Dean
Old 07-15-2004, 11:26 AM
T-Maxx killer with my cen mt2

The Genesis is supposed to go 50mph acorrding to CEN.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:31 AM
T-Maxx killer with my cen mt2

Here's the Link http://cenracing.com/cars/genesis/genesis.html
Old 07-15-2004, 11:47 AM
Deandome

I've read that three times (I was there before your link!). NOWHERE is 50 mph mentioned, nor any other speed estimate.

Are you confusing the many 5.0 horsepower references w/50 mph??

ORIGINAL: T-Maxx killer with my cen mt2

Here's the Link http://cenracing.com/cars/genesis/genesis.html
Old 07-15-2004, 12:11 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Its possible to theoretically "measure" the speed of the car given the car's engine specs..

Here is what we know.

Engines: 23000 RPM
Wheels: 7.5inch (19.1cm)
Wheels cover 60cm per rotation

To go 50Mph (2 240cm/sec), the wheels need to turn at 2240RPM.

The means the FINAL drive ratio must be around 10.26 in 3rd gear. That sounds reasonable.

Since the car cannot be locked into third gear (car has to be moving), we cannot measure this unless CEN tell us what the gear ratios are.

I think its possible because these tires more than half a foot tall!!! That alone reduces the gear ratio by a LOT. Thats how theyre able to get away with low engine RPMS.

Anyway.. enough theory
ram
Old 07-15-2004, 12:19 PM
Gulliver Foyle

The servo for the brake/throttle is the wrong one. Their fix package will come with a new 2 new servos. That being said, I switched brake/throttle with the gear shift servo (stronger servo), and sanded the rotors (they were shiny!) and braking has improved dramatically.

ORIGINAL: Deandome

The only fundemental flaw, according to the article, is that the brakes are kinda lame. Hopefully that can be corrected w/larger rotors thru aftermarketers.

I was carping about CEN & this truck a LOT before it's release, but Now I gotta say it's in the upper echelon. I'd still put it behind the Revo & LST, based soley on design & innovation, but I think it's a better choice than the Mammoth, Savage or even the MGT.

Good job, CEN!!!!

Dean
Old 07-15-2004, 12:43 PM
binaryterror

ORIGINAL: Deandome

but I think it's a better choice than the Mammoth, Savage or even the MGT.
I personally have to disagree there. Here is what I see about those mentioned three versus the Genesis

-None of those 3 had issues like this when released.
-Each of those is easier to get parts for than CEN.
-The Mammoth and MGT have proven successful in racing...the GENESIS probably won't compete due to it's bulk.
-Savage and MGT have and will out weigh the Genesis in Aftermarket for some time. The Mammoth has a decent amount of aftermarket help, mainly XTM but there are others.
-Mammoth, Savage, and MGT all have proven strong engines...the CEN .46 is still new with a few problems noted.
-Those 3 weigh far less.
-Those 3 are also quite a bit cheaper.

Heck The Losi LST, Tamiya TNX, and Traxxas REVO all fall in the same advantages as the Mammoth, Savage, and MGT.

I think the CEN will catch on and be somewhat popular, but definately not a race worthy machine. Especially at my track where the Outlaw Truck requires a .28 or less, 2 stroke engine. Can't even put a .21-.28 in a Genesis without time and $$$.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:43 PM
Gulliver Foyle

Over at my review thread I had plenty of positive things to say. Minus the gear problems I have had, the thing has been a blast. The whole truck is built like a brick, well, you know, s-house. The power the engine makes is incredible, I can pull away from my friends Menace through 1st and 2nd, and the thing is 18lbs!!! It handles well considering, that wide turning radius has prevented any flips so far. I did put 80wt shock oil in the 8 primary shocks to increase damping, although the stock oil was pretty thick. Just to see something that big running makes everyone smile, and despite the body, I think it is a good looking truck. There are a lot of "revolutionary" things about the truck that are not getting any press because of the problems, internal and adjustable third gear (when we get it to work) .46 ABC rear exhaust engine, quad disk brakes, included failsafe, radio that shuts itself off after a period of inactivity, 10 shocks, it's quiet (who would have thought) Massive drivetrain, equally massive a-arms, very rigid no chassis flex at all, laughs at tall grass (and the solar lights in my yard unfortunately) starts with 2 or 3 pulls every time after break-in. What else you wanna know?

ORIGINAL: JaysonR

I know there are a lot of problems with the truck, but I haven't heard anything from people with no problems or a lot of positive things to say. I heard all the negative things three times over. Waiting to hear from people with no problems, or positive things to say.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:01 PM
binaryterror

Gulliver, what is your honest opinion though...

The Cen Genesis is a Basher or Racer?

I can't imagine it competing due to its huge size and weight disadvantages. Another problem...no one makes good racing tires for the Genesis Yet
Old 07-15-2004, 01:17 PM
Deandome

I guess I shoulda qualified my "I'd get it over..." statement....

The Genesis is clearly NEVER gonna be a great racer...it's just too heavy & the COG is way too tall. Drag racing, well, a hopped up engine could make it fly, but going into corners....shifting left-to-right....it's just too big to keep up with anything. But how many people buying or looking at the Genesis care about that?

That's one problem, though. Owners are pretty much locked into this one .46 engine...forever!!! Maybe with a machinist's degree you could tool it to work with big airplane engines or something, but with every other MT, you have MANY powerplant options to choose from when you want to upgrade. With the Mammoth, all you can do (and something one of you SHOULD do!!!) is send it to a qualified modifier like EB Mods & see how many more horses they can squeeze outta the .46

http://www.ebmods.com/

Dean
Old 07-15-2004, 01:41 PM
Mxracer45

Oh yeh deandome wat rcca mag u talkin bout? I subscribe too them. Andhave yet too see it. Yeh at the site it did say it would do 50 mph but now they have deleted it. LOL But.. Seriously deandome they did say that.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:50 PM
Deandome

There's only one RCCA...Radio Control Car Action. The parent company (Jet Age?) makes TONS of other mags, including several other car ones, but RCCA is, well RCCA!!!

CEN was saying LOTS of things about the Genesis over the last year, but I don't recall any speed estimate (but I believe you...I didn't read all that much!).

All I'm really saying is that as an outsider, the Genesis EXCEEDS my expectations, but that's because they were so LOW!!!! I thought it was gonna be a total dog, but as RCCA said, "CEN has engineered the hell outta this truck". They said the suspension is great & that the horizontal shocks DO help a lot, something I just thought was a "they have 8, let's do 10!!" gimmick.

I wouldn't want one or suggest one for single truck owners, but many/most people here have several MTs, and I think in that light it's a great truck to have!

Dean
Old 07-15-2004, 02:36 PM
ace@
My Feedback: (9)

i remember reading that the genesis does 50 mph also...
Old 07-15-2004, 02:37 PM
JaysonR

ORIGINAL: Gulliver Foyle

Over at my review thread I had plenty of positive things to say...The power the engine makes is incredible, I can pull away from my friends Menace through 1st and 2nd, and the thing is 18lbs...What else you wanna know?
Yeah, I read your review Gulliver Foyle. I noticed that it seemed like the only problem you really had were gears and that third shift thing. It seems like CEN is replacing the gears, so I can assume that is corrected. I don't think I read anywhere you haven't gotten to third gear yet right? The part where it pulls away from your boys Menace really caught my attention, that alone is what’s keeping me patient to find out if the problems will be corrected. Your review was very honest, good lookin' out. With some people sharing and some people venting, its hard to get a cool honest opinion. Do you think it needs 4WS, do you plan on getting it? I also read what you did to the breaks, is the Genesis a little difficult to work on? How much time have you spent running the truck so far? Let me know when you get to third. A lot of questions, thanks for what you can offer.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:49 PM
ace@
My Feedback: (9)

i knew i saw that somewhere they say it reaches speed up to 50mph...
http://www.zertuchegroup.com/nitro_t...en_genesis.htm
Old 07-15-2004, 02:53 PM
Crazy_Coconuts

if the genesis did race, in what class would a stock Genesis (that works) race in? i thought they were divided into small block .15-.18 and big block .19-.28...

if i understand correctly, the EK 4 has been left out of the track for that reason...
Old 07-15-2004, 03:10 PM
Deandome

Man...CEN's in trouble now!!!! If anyone's really disappointed in the truck, and/or they have a lawyer in the family, that press realease is grounds for a total refund!!!!

My god.....I remember HP got in a lotta trouble when they said a product had 500 million colors but only really had 475 million (approximations), and Mazda just got put thru the ringer when the RX-8 didn't have the HP that they originally claimed!!

So if people say they bought the Genesis 'cause it would go 50 & kick their buddy's MaxxAsses, I don't think CEN can fall back on "Top Speed: 50-55 mph (approx.)" Ummm....over 30% LESS than that can hardly fall into the world of "approx."!!

ORIGINAL: ace@

i knew i saw that somewhere they say it reaches speed up to 50mph...
http://www.zertuchegroup.com/nitro_t...en_genesis.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.