Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Tamiya TNX review

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 03:40 PM
remten2001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya TNX review

I bought a TNX off ebay about 1 month ago.I didn't want to write a review out of box I wanted to really test it before I write a review..

First impressions:
When I took it out of the box I took my time to look over the nice job tamiya did in improoving the old terra crusher.Everything on this truck is made light.Tires and wheels are one the lightest in its class.I was impress enough on how well they all rearrange the radio box and the chassis layout.

Break in:
This is has to be the most user friendly engine I ever owned..I read all the rbeak in instructions to the letter and did the break in..Everything went smooth...Tamiya recommends idling the first tank of fuel at 2.5 turns out on the HSN wich i did...Then for the other tanks u have to turn .5 turns out for the following tanks and drive on a flat surface and take it easy.

Durability:
It is tough!!!I planted mine to the ground so many times I lost count.Never broke a thing exept poping a shock cap off...

handling:
This is where the tnx fails out of the box..The stock shocks are not very good..If you would see how the piston of the stock shocks are made you would probably have a good laugh ..There are no piston hole in the piston weird design..But with some 80 weight shock oil it helps a lot..I replaced all shocks for some integy monster gt shocks..Problem solve..

How does it compare to other?
Well with all the monster truck out there right now buying a new truck is starting to get more complicated cause of all the choices out there.The tnx is in the same class of the savage if not better...It requires less mods to it to make it a good truck and it has this very snappy powerband that makes it shine more than a savage...The .18 engine in the tnx is one of the most user friendly engine i ever owned.The stock settings of the HSN in the manual is 2.5 and mine is set right at 2.5 and it hauls...

Conclusion:
I am very pleased with my purchase..And to me this truck would be the perfect truck for someone just starting into nitro.Cause of the engine that is so easy to adjust..And I know its a great race truck also if you look at the facts..At the proline maxx challenge the tnx was winning but lost at the last turn to a revo cause they didn't stop refueling..the tnx deserves its place with the savage and tmaxx.....

pictures:

PS:thanks to thermalRD for the ribbed pipe..
Old 08-12-2004, 03:50 PM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Tamiya TNX review

Nice Truck!

One thing that stands out, though, is that the fuel tank is EXTREMELY tall & skinny, which I would think would have to cause a bit of "leaning" as the fule level drops.

It seems like all new trucks & cars are doing their best to keep their tanks low & wide to avoid this. Have you noticed anything??

Dean
Old 08-12-2004, 04:00 PM
remten2001

THere is no lean out issues at all.The truck runs the same if its full or 1/2 empty...There might a slight difference toward the end of a tank but i don't notice abig difference..
Old 08-12-2004, 09:02 PM
repete

did u notice any improvement in performance with a diff pipe?
Old 08-12-2004, 09:22 PM
remten2001

yes it seems to have more power on low end..Its running great with that ofna ribbed pipe..
Old 08-13-2004, 12:17 AM
bkmademedoit

how's traction with those tires? they dont look all that great but i hope im wrong.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:52 AM
remten2001

They have good traction for bashing...But i am looking for a more agressive tire pattern right now and not sure what i am going to replacecthem with....
ORIGINAL: bkmademedoit

how's traction with those tires? they dont look all that great but i hope im wrong.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:18 PM
remten2001

i jsut thought i would bring this thread back up since the tnx won the RCCA event some poeple mind need the info in this thread..
Old 08-20-2004, 06:24 PM
repete

here is a pic of my TNX..with powerstroke shocks..and im testing an 086 pipe on it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75843.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	165902  
Old 08-20-2004, 06:41 PM
remten2001

let us know how that pipe works
Old 08-22-2004, 01:37 AM
repete

well..i shattered a front drive shaft...but the truck is fast none the less..i snapped the shaft in practice..so i dont have any laptimes to compare it with..next week
Old 01-11-2005, 04:20 PM
macsfv

Can u lower the 4 body post that stick out of the body on the tnx. Thank you
Old 01-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Tnx_4_life

just cut them off
Old 01-12-2005, 09:09 PM
tamiya08
My Feedback: (10)

wizen: didnt you sell you tnx? alought this post is kinda old.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:29 AM
Tnx_4_life

The stock shocks are not very good..If you would see how the piston of the stock shocks are made you would probably have a good laugh ..There are no piston hole in the piston weird design..
ye i took my old shock apart....whahahaha......what a design.....and guess what tamiya puts in the X-parts? the piston top with 1,2 and even 3 holes lmao. AND U CANT EVEN PUT THEM ON !