Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Bomb-Proof Products BL Truck! (Prototype)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Bomb-Proof Products BL Truck! (Prototype)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 04:47 PM
monst@r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bomb-Proof Products BL Truck! (Prototype)

Old 08-19-2004, 06:18 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Bomb-Proof Products BL Truck! (Prototype)

Looks like an e-maxx with a TVP upper cage.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:02 PM
Mxracer45

Looks can be deceiving. That truck is far from an emaxx.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:25 PM
monst@r

The only Maxx compatible part are the wheels. When Bomb-Proof went searching to make a "bomb-proof" truck, they looked for the strongest parts; Hence no T/E-Maxx parts.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:30 PM
Acs_guitars

I was just giving my first impression, the main chassis plate is shaped like the T/E maxx plate.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:03 PM
USABaja5B

I was wondering what the Bombproof guys were up to. Looks great. Did this race at Monster Madness??
Old 08-20-2004, 12:53 AM
killer89
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: Acs_guitars

I was just giving my first impression, the main chassis plate is shaped like the T/E maxx plate.
yeah well if you go by chassis shaped "like" others then all 1/8 buggies would be copies of each other...
Old 08-20-2004, 02:35 AM
fhm101

WOW! an electric truggy. What kind of runtime do you get with that thing? I'm sure it will eat any nitro MT out of the hole and off the corners, but what about top speed? I would love to see enough of those to form a class around here, I'd drop nitro in a heartbeat.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:42 AM
camra88

Are all those batteries hooked in series? To what appears to be a brushlless motor? That thing must be ungodly fast... I wouldnt be able to imagine unless i saw it go [X(]
Old 08-20-2004, 05:40 AM
monst@r

http://bomb-proofproducts.com/Racing/BPP.wmv
Old 08-20-2004, 10:09 AM
Sweetshoes90210

WOWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwww.

That chassis brace is insane. Looks like a nice disign.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:12 AM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

I know it's a prototype 'n all (and WAAY cool!!!), but that 9 cell battery (are there TWO of those??) is gonna fall apart upon landing your first jump!!

Maybe wrapping would help a bit, but those on-road style "hand-made" packs are never gonna last well in anything other than lightweight buggies like the B4 & XXX stuff.

And those are primarily for racing geeks (no offense ) who drag their entire shop to the track every week (day?), including their soldering iron, and have no problems building packs for hours on end.

MT's like this one are usually more "plug 'n play", bash-friendly than the baby buggies, and I don't know where I'd plug in my Hakko in the middle of a forest preserve

Dean
Old 08-20-2004, 03:04 PM
Acs_guitars

Killer89- - Actually they are not all copies in that respect, MY Savage looks nothing like that, look closer at some other 1/8 and 1/10 MT's. Like I said it was a first impression, I am sure others had the same thought. SORRY if you guys don't like it, but it is my opinion which I am entittled to.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:25 PM
RedDawg303

wow that electric one is the beez neez, 18 cells wow, the worlds fastest rc car had 24 cells.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:37 PM
ThermalRD

Ya know, the looks are good...But thats where it ends for me. I dont care what your run time is on that thing, the down time for battery charging has gotta suck with that many cells. Its cool for guys that think Nitro engines are hard to tune, and a pain in the butt. After watching that video, it just does nothing for me at all. I guess im just a Nitro freak...
Old 08-20-2004, 05:57 PM
theerm

it makes no noise. who cares what it goes like
Old 08-21-2004, 04:59 AM
monst@r

ORIGINAL: ThermalRD

Ya know, the looks are good...But thats where it ends for me. I dont care what your run time is on that thing, the down time for battery charging has gotta suck with that many cells. Its cool for guys that think Nitro engines are hard to tune, and a pain in the butt. After watching that video, it just does nothing for me at all. I guess im just a Nitro freak...
Depends on your situation. I can see that if you bash, it would be a pain. But it you race, what else are you going to do between 45min+ heats?
Old 08-21-2004, 02:21 PM
sarpiparpi

it looks good but id nvr get it not even 4x4 wut the hell r u gonna do if u cant drive ur car throught water[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 08-21-2004, 06:37 PM
Stanly

ORIGINAL: Deandome

I know it's a prototype 'n all (and WAAY cool!!!), but that 9 cell battery (are there TWO of those??) is gonna fall apart upon landing your first jump!!

Maybe wrapping would help a bit, but those on-road style "hand-made" packs are never gonna last well in anything other than lightweight buggies like the B4 & XXX stuff.

And those are primarily for racing geeks (no offense ) who drag their entire shop to the track every week (day?), including their soldering iron, and have no problems building packs for hours on end.

MT's like this one are usually more "plug 'n play", bash-friendly than the baby buggies, and I don't know where I'd plug in my Hakko in the middle of a forest preserve

Dean

Where did you get the idea that the battery would fall apart during a hard landing? Side x side packs (thats what they are really called) are very strong if there built right (with shoe goo). I've seen side x side packs get thrown out of cars w/o falling apart, I'm pretty sure they can handle a hard landing. But since the pack thats shown in the truck isn't even built, that would fall apart.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:11 PM
ThermalRD

How exactly would you run a 45 minute heat with electrics? I've never heard of that.

ORIGINAL: S7 Europa

Depends on your situation. I can see that if you bash, it would be a pain. But it you race, what else are you going to do between 45min+ heats?
Old 08-21-2004, 08:48 PM
creyc

At least toss on 4 more shocks or use larger shocks than the current models. That would break after a few jumps I'm thinking.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:10 PM
Stanly

ORIGINAL: creyc

At least toss on 4 more shocks or use larger shocks than the current models. That would break after a few jumps I'm thinking.
Brian is talking about not including shocks for the sake of keeping the price down. But if he does include those shocks, I'm pretty sure they won't break with the 3.5mm shafts.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:23 PM
USABaja5B

That truck is going to sell like hotcakes. Alot of people hate Nitro, so why not get the best electric now, RTR. I'd love to have one for my neighborhood park.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:21 AM
creyc

Ah, I can't tell the size just by looking at that picture, I can't even see the shafts from this angle actually.

That's an interesting way to keep the price down, not include shocks. I would think they are required for a monster truck, the smallest of bumps would knock that thing all around the track. And even though the shafts may be thick, the shock around it is obviously small meanign there's very little impact-absorbing oil in there. They only way for those shocks to absorb the weight of 18 sub-c cells, two massive brushless motors and that reinforced chassis is to use very thick fluid OR very small holes. This leads to extremely high pressures built up on landing and very much increased chance of blowing the top off or cracking the internal (plastic most likely) piston in the shock. I'm sure extensive testing will probably prove me wrong in this case (sure ) but then take a look at Losi's new shock setup. Why would they use such large shock when clearly that's increasing the price of the model? And why does everyone who has one seem to comment on how well it handles and takes bumps, for being such a large truck as it is.

I understand it's important to keep the price as low as it can be to actually get customers but reducing quality and compromising the suspension isn't a wise move. There's a line between lowering price and opting out in crucial aspects of all monster trucks. It's not a good way to build a positive name for yourself or your product, but luckily it's still prototype so there's time to fix things.

The idea of an electric monster truck has always been a bit atypical to me, but the benefits of an electric truck would definitely persuade me to buy one seeing the recent improvement in brushless motor systems and the current trend of strapping hoards of batteries to the truck for the most power/run time. I would love to be able to go out in my residential neighborhood and drive my monster truck at daybreak before work. With nitro it's not really an option but an electric truck might be what I'm looking for.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:20 AM
monst@r

How exactly would you run a 45 minute heat with electrics? I've never heard of that.

ORIGINAL: S7 Europa

Should've chosen my words more carefully. What I meant was is when you race 1st heat, you have to wait over a certain period of time for the next 2nd heat to come around. At my track, it's around 45+ minutes to just chill, wrench on your car, grab something to eat, etc. I'm assuming the Pro races would be far longer.

ORIGINAL: creyc

That's an interesting way to keep the price down, not include shocks. I would think they are required for a monster truck, the smallest of bumps would knock that thing all around the track.
.. Getting a little too technical here? He means not including shocks, so you would have your own choice on buying them.[/quote]
And even though the shafts may be thick, the shock around it is obviously small meanign there's very little impact-absorbing oil in there.
1/8 sized. Ofna 9.5/UE RacerX shocks. People run them with 4/8 shock setup on 12lb monsters all the time with no problems.
They only way for those shocks to absorb the weight of 18 sub-c cells, two massive brushless motors and that reinforced chassis is to use very thick fluid OR very small holes.
emaxxjeremly from MaxxTraxx: "The battery trays are a type of plastic, super strong, super stiff, non conductive plastic.
" And it's a single motor setup .. And you don't have to run 18 cells. The Bomb-Proof crew generally does, you can still run 2x6 cell setup.
This leads to extremely high pressures built up on landing and very much increased chance of blowing the top off or cracking the internal (plastic most likely) piston in the shock.
As mentioned before, people run those shocks on 12lb+ Maxxes, and there really hasn't been a problem, nor have there been problems of bending shock shafts.
I understand it's important to keep the price as low as it can be to actually get customers but reducing quality and compromising the suspension isn't a wise move.
Bomb-Proof wouldn't reduce quality for lower the price. They're building a "BOMB-PROOF" truck here. Not some cheap electric truck. People can attest to the abuse Bomb-Proof chassis .. There hasn't been a single complaint.

Truck price is targeted at $700, rolling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.