RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

new Engine woos

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 07:50 AM
mrjon53
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new Engine woos

I have just put in a sirio .27 standard in my mammoth. After breakin, i have found that running it w.o.t. causes the rubber piece that connects my muffler to the ?muffler mannifold? to release the muffler. i reconnected and put a new zip tie on and found that it blew off the muffler again.
as a by product of this experience i have found that when the muffler is disconnected its like the motor has found a whole new gear or something cause it halls ___. so i was wondering is my muffler no longer able to handle the .27? it is the stock black xtm muffler that comes w/ the truck. Can anyone recommend a muffler that would allow the engine to keep some of the awsome power i saw?

thanks in advance,

jon
Old 08-23-2004, 11:08 AM
Sweetshoes90210

Default RE: new Engine woos

Save your self the trouble and buy a TUNED PIPE.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:27 AM
killer89
My Feedback: (-1)

it is a tuned pipe, he must be a noob and calls it a muffler...

There should be a metal wire that is attached to the end of the pipe and is also attached to the chassis. Make sure that this is on and tight. Also make sure that it is on straight. Then test it by pulling on the pipe away from the manifold... It shouldn't pop out.... If you lost the wire I' talking about, either use hangar wire, or scarp it and use hose clamps on the silicone coupler.

The reason why it runns really well when the pipe pops off is because the tank is not getting any pressure any more, making your engine run EXTREMELY LEAN! shut it off immeadiately when this happens...
Old 08-23-2004, 11:46 AM
mrjon53

ya sorry tuned pipe. all the nuts and bolts are on tight again i dindt have this problem untill i went to the new engine. is there a better pipe out there i should invest in? to see more power?
Old 08-23-2004, 02:08 PM
mrjon53

i guess what i m asking is what does anyone recomend as far as a tuned pipe goes. and were can i get my hads on it.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:35 PM
William Q

I know this has nothing to do with the post but what does WOT mean?
Old 08-23-2004, 03:08 PM
creyc

wide open throttle.

As killer suggested hose clamps may work for you. If you don't know what we're talking about stop by Home Depot or Lowes and ask to see some small hose clamps. Just don't go too tight with those suckers they have the power to crush a thin walled aluminum pipe so be careful!
Old 08-23-2004, 03:15 PM
binaryterror

Well the stock Mammoth pipe is ok for a normal RTR engine, when dropping in a beast it is definately better to move up to a better tuned pipe.

I'd recommend the Ofna or RB 063 one piece tuned pipe: http://acehardwarehobbies.com/2.2/ca...oducts_id=4051
Old 08-23-2004, 03:23 PM
Texdav

Try flairing the end of the pipe and header id necessary. It can be done with a screwdriver. Tuned pipes are just that ;they tune the engine for range you need and they make the power curve useful. Wihtout thyem the engine is more like a on-off switch.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:04 PM
mrjon53

thanks binaryterror, thats what i was looking for. and yes im new to nitro but i know what a hose clamp is. thats what you use to scrub rusted objects with....right! lol j/k.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:03 PM
mrjon53

this is the pic of the pipe i went with, it says its the jp2 but the pic is of the jp1. anyway, it made a lot difference to the point i was shocked to see that much of a difference. im raceing a friend on thursday and i fell sorry for him all ready!!

http://acehardwarehobbies.com/2.2/ca...oducts_id=6837