Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

MGT TRANNY

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 09:28 AM
dakamat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MGT TRANNY

I just got a new MGT and i find that the .21 engine is to slow for me. I look for a Ofna Picco .26 or Fantom .27 but before puting a bigger engine in this truck, i want to know if the original tranny will hold the extra power. If not what's the modification that i would do in the tranny. I've hear that some guys put the Savage tranny gear in the MGT but this is compatible whitout modif?? And if it is, wich gear from HPI should i buy to put in my MGT tranny????

Thank

David
Old 09-30-2004, 05:37 PM
BigGrump

Default RE: MGT TRANNY

I have had a MGT for about 8 months. The origional trans was faulty, wouldn't shift to 2nd gear. Associated gave me a new trans. Works perfect. I have run about 3 gallons of 25% thru and a lot of the time I am drag racing on asphalt, high speed runs, and bashing over the front grass and down the street. No trans or diff probs.

Last week I got a Picco .26 Outlaw and put it in the MGT. Went up to 17 tooth clutch bell. After break-in, would wheelie on grass with stock tires and burn rubber a lot on asphalt. Put 40 series road rage tires and went drag-racing.

I have run hard for about 1 gallon with the new engine. Yesterday I took both front and rear diff gears out to inspect them. Looked perfect in front and rear one had more play from the pinion gear. Would move back and forth toward the ball bearing about 1/32 inch. I put a shimm between the gear on the pinion and first ball bearing. Centered the pinion on the ring gear. Play limited to just a slight movement.

Took the truck out and more high speed running, tire burning show off and drag racing. diffs are holding up perfect and trans also. Only abusive thing I do not do is jump and land with engine wide open to create large shock on diive line. My driving, while abusive, puts a smoother steady load on the gears.

Might break, but after what I have done so far, it owes me nothing and I will simply replace anything that breaks.

Good Luck, Dennis
Old 09-30-2004, 07:05 PM
creyc

If the gears can take landing at WOT then they should be able to take anything you throw it's way while the truck is on the ground.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:54 PM
dakamat

Thank you very much for your help, my Fantom FR 27 is in order and some other hop-uos like FOC modul, robo disk brake and Pro-line serie 40 wheel and bow tie tire.

David from Québec, Canada