RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Would you Buy.......

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 07:24 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you Buy.......

I had an idea that I am thing of trying out and I just wanted a little feedback from my fellow MT owners. I work at a hobby shop in my extra time (I almost do it for free) and I am thinking about putting together a comprehensive tool set for all RC cars and trucks. If you buy the separte drivers, hex keys, and other tools it gets pretty expensive. I have been a tool-wholesaler for a few years now (another spare time job) and I can get tools fairly cheaply.... With that said, Do you think this is a good idea? I could sell them for half of what it would cost as separates along with a tool/gear bag and I have seen no other set like this anywhere. I don't want this to advertise, but I do want to know if it is worth inversting time and $$ to try this out. Thanks! --ACE
Old 09-30-2004, 07:29 PM
oatmealman
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Would you Buy.......

yea definatley i would buy it if i had the $$$$$$$$$$,but i'm at $$$$00000 dollars and im broke[:@],need to mow some lawns
Old 09-30-2004, 07:35 PM
Acs_guitars

lol.... Soon you'll be raking leaves for money, and even shoveling snow before you know it!
Old 09-30-2004, 08:02 PM
oatmealman
Banned

lol
Old 09-30-2004, 10:42 PM
creyc

Assuming they are high quality tools? Yes I would buy them.

However you have to remember that each truck is different, where a T-Maxx is mostly phillips head screws a LST or Revo is completely hexware. And then you even have some trucks that use torx or something different. Things like a glowplug wrench would be the same but other parts could be standard or metric depending on the company that built it.

The fact that you work at a hobby shop means you can actually work on the cars and trucks and find out exactly which truck uses what, so that will be a big help. But if you plan on selling these kit,s they will have to be truck specific. And the tools would have to be of good quality, no cheap plastic. If you've ever used the losi or trinity tools you know how good the competition is, if someone else makes a tool of significantly higher build quality I'll buy it even if it means spending more money. SO just keep that in mind too.

Other than that, I love the idea. You could easily sell these on eBay or here at the marketplace or even in the hobby shop. I'd buy a set and know a lot of people who would also. It's easier and better than digging though a box of tools to get a screwdriver that doesn't quite fit or pulling a rusty nut driver that's metric to try to pull out a standard glowplug. Having the right tools makes working on these trucks much less of a chore and more of an actual part of the hobby. So yes, I would buy this kit.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:09 PM
rc10gt4master

like creyc said if its a high quality kit give me on one of each.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:14 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I agree, a high quality wrench kit specific to each car, buggy or truck would ba a geat idea
Add in a little tool wrap, it's Gold
Old 10-01-2004, 12:40 AM
Acs_guitars

I'll have to llok into some higher end tools.... What I had in mind was an average grade (not cheap) tool with hardened plated steel and plastic handles. I was thinking more toward the affordability issue having the average Joe Basher in mind. As a comprehensive type kit I would include both Metric and SAE drivers and hex keys.... A kit per car is a good idea, but I'll have to do a little more homework on that. Here is what I have so far, keep in mind this is my trial, not so much the final product. Give me an idea of what you think would be better in your opinions as far as price and tools go.

I know that what I have so far will work on Associated, HPI, Traxxas, Losi, OFNA, and Duratrax cars because these are my primary brands at the shop. I have yet to ask the other guys at the shop what they think, I had the evning off, but I am sure to get plenty of feedback over the weekend, especially at the track on Saturday.... One more week and racing is all over[:-].
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34026.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	178402  
Old 10-01-2004, 11:13 AM
fhm101

The one thing you can always depend on in the pits at any race you go to is a plethora of crappy, makeshift tools and kits. The owners of these tools are always borrowing something from someone because either, A: Their POS tool broke, or B: They don't have the right tool. What amazes me is people won't bat an eye while dropping big bucks for kits, radio gear, etc., but come down with the vapors when they see a wrench set for more than $5.00. I would be careful about mixing metric and standard with the exception of a 10th gas specific kit since they are the only class that has a lot of chassis with standard hardware running engines that need metric tools. There is no need for any standard tools in a buggy kit, and unless AE ot Losi have used standard fasteners in thie MT offerings, I can't see any need for standards in an MT kit either.

Good luck with your idea, let us know how it goes.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:12 PM
mini ripper

Acs guitars,
Great idea but you want singular allen wrenches those bundle wrenchs are a ral pain in the .... check out my tool kit

All the best

T-Meker
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33758.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	178526  
Old 10-01-2004, 02:12 PM
ktnr

You mean the black thing with some shiny bits barely visible? LOL. I assume then that you don't use your kit much at night.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:34 PM
mini ripper

Hi,
No dont use it to much at night.

All the best

T-Meker
Old 10-01-2004, 04:37 PM
Da Smak
Banned

Nice to see you got your FREEBIE HUDY tools in there, fellow XB8 owner. Damn I want that EK4 S2 now.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:00 PM
mini ripper

I aint got the XB8 yet but go get that EK4 S2 if you want it
Old 10-01-2004, 05:51 PM
Da Smak
Banned

See there is a yet there.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:00 PM
psycooclimber

the kit in the picture isnt vary big!!! you need to put in a pair of forceps and the ball end hexes (craftsman, mac, snap-on) and get rid of the combination hex-piles of dog doodie. a second pair of pliers with dikes (wire cuters). and a full size #2 philips head. make shure the nut drivers are name brand (craftsman, mac, snap-on, stanley, park tools) and mostly make everything from the same company. but i probibly would not buy the set because I allready have that stuff in all craftsman.

good luck
Old 10-01-2004, 07:14 PM
lstman

i say you throw in a propane torch,a roll of dust tape,a playboy,and a fifth of jack daniels.... you got a kit!!!
Old 10-01-2004, 07:25 PM
oatmealman
Banned

lol, a play boy hustler and some other stuff and your good to go,in the bathroom or the track
Old 10-01-2004, 07:44 PM
Acs_guitars

What I am looking at now is Klein tools... similar to Stanley in looks but better quality. The stuff pictured is all I physically have to at the moment and as I write this I am looking at tools to add and brand diffences. I do like the color-coded nut drivers though... they make it easier to grab the right size with only a glance. I can either make the whole kit Metric, SAE, or both (I'd like it to be a universal kit, not car specific... Too much overhead). Later tonite I'll post my updated list of things I think I will include, just keep in mind I am going for and affordable (not cheap stuff) kit which means it should be $50 max. It will be a great value compared to what you would pay on separates. Anyway.. Keep the ideas coming!
Old 10-01-2004, 08:00 PM
Orlando69

That is the kinda humor I love to see,, I laughed my ***** off over that one. And the reply about playboy and bathroom,,LLLOOOLLLL,,yer' killin' me!!,,Peace,"O"
ORIGINAL: lstman

i say you throw in a propane torch,a roll of dust tape,a playboy,and a fifth of jack daniels.... you got a kit!!!
Old 10-01-2004, 08:53 PM
Acs_guitars

ORIGINAL: psycooclimber

the kit in the picture isnt vary big!!!
How many tools do you need!?!?!?? It's an RC car tool set, not a mechanics tool set.
Anyway... My Revised list of items is:

6 pc. Precision Screwdriver Set in Plastic Case
- - -> #0 and #1 Phillips-Head drivers
- - -> 1.4, 1.8, 2.4, 3.0 Flat-Head / Slot drivers
14pc. Nut Driver Set
- - ->SAE: 3/16”, 1/4”, 5/16”, 11/32”, 3/8”, 7/16”, 1/2”
- - ->Metric: 5, 5.5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10mm
Metric and SAE Ball Hex Key Sets
- - -> 7 Hex Metric: 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4 ,5, 6
- - -> 9 Hex SAE: .05”, 1/16”, 5/64”, 3/32”, 7/64”, 1/8”, 9/64”, 5/32”, 3/16”
6” needlenose
6" side dike (cutter)
6" adjustible wrench
Canvas Tool Bag

I am still looking around at other items to include.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:29 PM
lstman

holy crap thats alot of numbers. zoned out on it for a min. had a friggen brain annurizm. drooled on myself for a sec. other than that id say bring on the kits like that. theyd sell fast on ebay.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:01 AM
psycooclimber

i still say you should add forceps. but other than that i would say it is a cool kit. and i too like the universal kit, there is not enough difference to justify cost of multiple kits. can you put up a link to klein tools.

by the way-- what kind of man are you to say "how many tools do you need". the answer is and many as i can get.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:18 AM
psycooclimber

never mind i found it
[link=http://kleintools.com/]http://kleintools.com/[/link]
Old 10-02-2004, 03:01 PM
Acs_guitars

Well, the quiestion is... How many tools do you need for your RC stuff?? I too have a garage full of tools and I know I will continue to add to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.