Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

brand new truck <drool>

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 11:28 AM
Melancholy43920

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brand new truck <drool>

will the [link=http://www.warheadmt.com/]Duratrax WarHead[/link] give the T-Maxx and Savage a run for it's money? priced at $419 it looks and sounds to be a very healthy competitor. i read the full specs in my newest Tower Hobbies catalog and man i want one bad. bad enough to consider selling my T-Maxx i have about 2 grand into...

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHEA7**&P=ML]Here's all the info.[/link]
Old 10-03-2004, 11:40 AM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: brand new truck <drool>

I am sure it will beat the T-max in durability (not that hard to do) but I doubt it will be any better than either the Savage or T-maxx as far engine performance. DUratrax has not been known to be a high performing vehicle company. Don't get me wrong, they have made good products, just not extreme performers. IMO: I think this truck will just take its place among the others and not really lead the way in any aspect. The whole design is nothing new and really leaves little to the imagination such as the REVO had done before it hit the market.... I will be surprised if the Warhead is much more than an average performer.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:46 AM
Melancholy43920

ugh, i just noticed the 'massive' .27 engine only puts out 2.5hp. the Sirio .18 i want for my Maxx puts out 2.95hp. so i guess that shoots my idea all to hell...
Old 10-03-2004, 11:56 AM
Acs_guitars

If you just want a new truck ( ie: the T-maxx is getting old) Look at the REVO, LST, or the Savage (has a 3-speed trans coming!). THey are all good trucks, though the Savage still can't be beat for durability.
Old 10-03-2004, 02:52 PM
Mxracer45

ORIGINAL: Melancholy43920

ugh, i just noticed the 'massive' .27 engine only puts out 2.5hp. the Sirio .18 i want for my Maxx puts out 2.95hp. so i guess that shoots my idea all to hell...
My @$$ man. Those are all made up numbers. If it was true, .4 hp isnt hardly anything. It's the torque and rpm's that matter.
Old 10-03-2004, 02:55 PM
Mxracer45

ORIGINAL: Acs_guitars

If you just want a new truck ( ie: the T-maxx is getting old) Look at the REVO, LST, or the Savage (has a 3-speed trans coming!). THey are all good trucks, though the Savage still can't be beat for durability.
New truck? Savage is old. The warhead is amazing, and an all new design. I'd say shoot for it. What's the 3 speed gonna do for it? Make it go faster so it will break when it crashes?, and more maintenance. Duratrax really did something nice with this one. Let's see it do it's thing before you judge bad thing's on it.

It'll be a great racer and a good basher too. Low CG. Good tires, 30 different shock position's... etc... etc...

-Mx
Old 10-03-2004, 04:56 PM
Melancholy43920

i still think the Warhead looks sweet...it's just that i was expecting a heck of a lot more hp out of a .27 size engine. but that is the only possible downside i can see. i don't wanna judge it before i see it in action and hear some professional reviews. i am really getting tired of my T-Maxx always breaking down and would like to switch trucks, especially to something new and innovative. the only thing that bothers me is the fact i have about 2 grand into my T-Maxx and since there's no way i'd get anywhere near that out of it i'd be taking a huge loss, which means keeping and putting up with it might be my only route
Old 10-03-2004, 05:22 PM
Stevecut

The Sirio .18 is claimed at 1.9hp not 2.95hp.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:34 PM
Mxracer45

Let's put it this way. The savage engine has 2.5 hp ( according too hpi ). The .27 in the warhead is 2.5 So you will see equivelant performance's. The TRX 2.5 has 1.3 hp. The OS .18 has 1.3. Who cares???
Old 10-03-2004, 05:39 PM
Acs_guitars

ORIGINAL: Mxracer45
New truck? Savage is old. The warhead is amazing, and an all new design. I'd say shoot for it. What's the 3 speed gonna do for it? Make it go faster so it will break when it crashes?, and more maintenance. Duratrax really did something nice with this one. Let's see it do it's thing before you judge bad thing's on it.

It'll be a great racer and a good basher too. Low CG. Good tires, 30 different shock position's... etc... etc...

-Mx
First off what was meant by "the t-maxx is getting old" is the he is getting tired of it not that is is an old design (which it also is). And it is just straight BS to say the Warhead is an "all new design"... I have looked at the pics on the web and the ones in the tower catalog and it is nothing special at all! I did not say it was a bad truck.... Open your eyes this time and read my post again. I said it will simply be an average truck as far as performance goes.... All trucks are in this category when they are stock. I would also asume you have never owned a Savage, per truck sold there are less replacement parts sold than any other MT (I know this working at the LHS). The Savage trans, to my knowledge, has never been a problem with maintenance or otherwise. The first batch of the RTR 25's had a prob with some of the E-clips popping out and damaging the trans gears, but HPI would fix it under warranty. As for your last statement, how can you say it will be great?? IT's not out yet and from the DUratrx products I have seen in the past, they really are not High performance cars, this is what I base my judgement on. The CG is no lower than the Savage, Raptor, Spyder, or any other of the TVP's coming out. The Chassis actually appears to be taller than the others.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:54 PM
Stevecut

Let's put it this way. The savage engine has 2.5 hp ( according too hpi ). The .27 in the warhead is 2.5 So you will see equivelant performance's. The TRX 2.5 has 1.3 hp. The OS .18 has 1.3. Who cares???
Well some people do. In fact I bought the OS.18 over the Sirio just because I wanted similar performance to the TRX2.5. I did not want or need more power only to upgrade everything else to handle the extra power, if I did I might as well have bought another truck with a .21 or larger engine, it would work out cheaper.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:31 PM
poor judgement

Yea....wot Stevecut said....Im with him, bare in mind what he says there before blowin up ur diffs etc

plus.....numbers numbers numbers guys....just ask people - dont read that stuff - its lies!!
Old 10-03-2004, 06:50 PM
R/C Madman
My Feedback: (1)

HP numbers don't mean a thing unless all the engines are tested on the same Dyno. The Warhead looks like a big step up for Duratrax and I will be looking forward to a review!
Old 10-03-2004, 09:30 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own, a Losi xxxnt, a assoc gt, and duratrax nitro evader. I like the duratrax evader better than the losi, but not quite as much as the associated gt. In stock form on the track the evader would give these 2 a run for thier money. Duratrax has definately stepped latley. In the earlier days I was not thrilled with duratrax, but i think they got wise. As far as the motor, supertigre motors are or at least were italian made, and highly respected for airplane usage. It will be interesting to see where it comes out amongst all the existing monsters. I do like the fact that you can set it up like truggy rather easily.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:19 PM
MAXXacceleration

The three speed for the Savage will give it new life. And more speed to go with its durability-the stock motor just doesn't rev high from what I've seen(my buddies-I own a P2 Maxx).
The Warhead is a unknown-its not out yet!!!
The Spyder looks good. Its not out yet!!!
I'm going for the truggy angle-The Blazer SST. Its not quite out yet!!! (But VERY soon)
The TVP trucks are-a-plenty...Many MT trucks of all types to choose from now, and they each have their strengths and weaknesses.
Study what you like, and enjoy your choice......
My .02
Old 10-04-2004, 01:36 AM
Stevecut

HP numbers don't mean a thing unless all the engines are tested on the same Dyno.
Yes I agree, but one might as well disregard the capacity also. It does give you an idea about the engine's power, the OS CVR.18 is rated at about the same as the TRX2.5 and it is just that I know I have one, the only difference is the max HP comes further down the rev range as opposed to the TRX2.5 resulting in better torque but possible lower top speed. Sirio and Fantom are rated at about 1.9hp and that't enough to destroy your diffs, I know that also my friend has gone through two diffs with his Sirio .18.

I would prefer to compare HP ratings (if all are measured with standard equipment) than capacity because it could give you a better idea of the engine's characteristics.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:50 AM
lstman

its just another truck i will add to my spanking list with my lst. doesnt look like anything too special to me. does seem odd that engine is that weak. my mach is 2.75hp. probebly more now with the mayhem carb, some porting and a mototsaver air filter.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:10 PM
SaV. BriT

looks like an awsome truck. I like the way you can change the ride height from 3.75 to 1.5 clearance. Kind of like a mt to truggy conversion.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:48 PM
Mxracer45

ORIGINAL: lstman

its just another truck i will add to my spanking list with my lst. doesnt look like anything too special to me. does seem odd that engine is that weak. my mach is 2.75hp. probebly more now with the mayhem carb, some porting and a mototsaver air filter.
So according too you, .25hp is the difference between weak and strong? lol Another truck too add to your spanking list?? With all the problems with that LST?? Heh, highly doubtful.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:05 AM
lstman

problems are minor as far as im concerned. and its by far not only the engines power that allows me to crush people. the steering is awesome. nobody had the shocks like i do. the total package is what lets me win. holding control through jumps. holding full power through corners. the extra power helps but once you figure this truck out , its awesome. even the guys that own my lhs who have been in the buisness pretty much since it started say the lst owns the track. a couple driveshaft problems and other small bugs dont keep this truck from being a contender. especially when its right out of the box better than most. not all, but most.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:49 AM
hyper 7 pbs

hey amn u shud get an mgt is a fantastic truck
Old 10-06-2004, 06:12 AM
lstman

i like those mgt also. i helped a kid break one in. his parents bought him the truck. he never even ran an electric before. he just showed up at the track with the gt. big confused look on his face. poor little guy. i walked him through it. oh man he beat that thing. the kids obviously got the right idea. after break in i opened it up for him.(twisted my arm).nice truck. good performance.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:20 AM
Muswagon

MXracer, you said it best. HP means nothing in a truck, but everything in a buggy. High HP usually means a high revving, low torque engine, which is crap for a Monster Truck, even for racing. The higher the rev, the shorter the stroke, the lower the torque, same as in real cars. The .27 Displacement, and presumably longer stroke makes these larger big block compete on HP, dont rev as quick, but they make gobs of torque. Look no further than the EK4. With an engine that makes only 2hp, and revs to 18,000max, you can gear the snot out of it (17T or 18T bell) and pull over 40mph. Yeah, you could do that with a regular .21, but you would need huge realestate as it would accelerate like a dog. The Warhead will perform like a Savage with a .26 Picco or the like, which will be just right.

There is a company called Zircon in the UK is one who had their own versions of the quake and the Axis (of evil). Now, duratrax's new truck looks different than the new Zircon truck (the TCP), which Trinity has rebadged the Spyder. So, if Duratrax used a different manufacturer, then maybe this is not so bad. Most of these companies dont make anything theselves, maybe they chose a better partner this time.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:14 PM
azrctruck

HP ratings do not mean anything. There are a lot of engines that over rate their hp. Also knowing the rpm range or the torque would br more helpfull. I am a true believer that hp sells engines and torque wins races. I would imagine that the st 27 would have higher torque that the savage. I know that st is building great engines out of their new factory and this will be their first car engine but they have a lot of experience in the rc market. I hope that this engine reflects their quality. Lets hope that duratrax is not another disapointment like the MGT. It seems like they have taken their time to carefully plan this truck and it may be a winner.Why reinvent the wheel the savage is a great truck perhaps one of the best when it come to quality but lacks handling ability, maybe this truck is it.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:25 AM
Kemo

ORIGINAL: Acs_guitars

Savage parts are so thick and bulky... of course its friggen durable. Oh and Duratrax isnt using their own engine... Super Tiger to the rescue. Great company oughta change your mind there... they made it for dura.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.