RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Need help choosing electric monster truck for my wife!

Old 10-27-2004, 03:01 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Need help choosing electric monster truck for my wife!

My wife has no interest in flying planes with me but she digs the R/C monster trucks. I want to get her one for Christmas but don't know what would be a good choice. I do know it MUST BE electric. I don't want her to have to mess with glow fuel she won't want to mess with it either. The only option I am aware of is the Traxxas E-Maxx. She likes the looks of the HPI Savage but isn't that nitro only? Price is not a concern, but I would like something RTR. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:23 PM
fourwheeler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Need help choosing electric monster truck for my wife!

How about the Kyosho twin force?
Old 10-27-2004, 03:29 PM
tamiya08
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the savage is indeed only nitro, BUT a company makes a eletric conversion kit. ill post links when i find them or make a new post about it.

the txt-1 is a rock crawler, but could be considered a monster truck.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:47 PM
ptgarcia

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks tamiyakid08. I'll add the Tamiya TXT-1 to my list of options. She won't be competing in any racing or anything like that, this is just for pure enjoyment. My club flying field is dirt which is where she'll do most of her driving. There aren't many rocks out there.

Please keep the suggestions coming. Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:54 PM
Kemo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: fourwheeler

How about the Kyosho twin force?

U stole the words from my mouth. It is reliable... you get to build it with her too, thats another plus right? It is an overall better performer than the emaxx, except its more of a climber. If you plan for her to hit the logs, rocks, hills, mud and what not... this truck can tackle it. New Era has adapters for the wheels so you can slap on tmaxx wheels/tires.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:59 PM
Nitro Rustler Racer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

just get an emaxx, they have alot of hop-ups and traxxas parts are very cheap to replace. i heard its a very good truck
Old 10-27-2004, 04:11 PM
Kemo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i beg to differ. Our BL emaxx absolutely sucks. The suspension is horrible, it leaks like crazy and we are on the replacement set they sent us. Novak sent us 2 esc's because the one that comes with it is horrible. Over and over, they short out. I also don't want to forget to mention that it (emaxx) breaks very easily. The electronics that come with it are just throw-a-ways. I don't recall how many Traxxas servos i have gone thru, but now they are all Futabas and are flawless. After about 700-800 worth of money into the emaxx... I dont think its worth the money.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:16 PM
raykessler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

http://bomb-proofproducts.com/home.htm

when this truck comes out its gonna kick A** , also its made to be a brushless mt so it will take less work to keep it up... no new bruches, comm cutting, etc.

and no matter how hard she bashes it, or how bad a drive she may be, im gonna guess that this thing isn gonna break
Old 10-27-2004, 04:18 PM
elite
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Im not married but if my girlfriend showed any interested in RC id probably buy her WHATEVER IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE, BEST TRUCK I COULD GET MY HANDS ON LOL. If you buy her a cheap one you (A) wont have fun with it yourself, and (B) will never hear the end of it.......Just my advice

Call me selfish, whatever Luckily my GF doesnt know I post here LOL
Old 10-27-2004, 04:28 PM
Kemo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah, for as many people that complain about Tmaxx being weak, think about the emaxx. Ours shoots a arms left and right! For as much down time that we have with it, it no longer gets used... the ST-15 gets its time in the sunshine. Kyosho is known for making a really tough truck and one extremely reliable. It follows the twin motors like the emaxx, but this one does wheelies, climbs well, etc. The only downfall is that there are FEW companies that carry hop ups for the Twin Force. Here is a plus though... all/most hop ups for those on the Mad Force, also fit on the Twin Force.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:55 PM
ptgarcia

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Im not married but if my girlfriend showed any interested in RC id probably buy her WHATEVER IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE, BEST TRUCK I COULD GET MY HANDS ON LOL. If you buy her a cheap one you (A) wont have fun with it yourself, and (B) will never hear the end of it.......Just my advice
Thats why I say price is not of concern. She has no interest in my giant scale planes but she likes cars and boats. She really likes monster trucks. But it has to be simple to use and reliable. If it is too much work she'll get pissed and won't want to drive it. Glow is too much work for her, that's why I want electric.

Okay, I'm gonna check out the Twin Force by Kyosho.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:51 PM
Kemo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It doesn't come with an ESC, but instead of the ESC that comes on the EMaxx... may I suggest this one: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJAC0 ? If she wants some brutal power, it can handle all the way down to dual 12 turn motors... thats really handy! It costs more but I'd say its worth it.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:18 PM
ptgarcia

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So if the stock Traxxas speed controller burns up the Novak is a good replacement? By the way, I remember buying a Novak for my Frog (or was it a Grasshopper) back in 1985 or so. It was the best at the time.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:19 PM
tamiya08
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i also failed to mention that the txt-1 is fairly pricey, but you get like 5 mm thick side walls, and i also failed to mention its a kit. but thats tamiya for you.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:54 PM
camra88

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It doesn't come with an ESC, but instead of the ESC that comes on the EMaxx... may I suggest this one: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJAC0 ? If she wants some brutal power, it can handle all the way down to dual 12 turn motors... thats really handy! It costs more but I'd say its worth it.
I only know of the stock emaxx titan motors that require the leaste maintence. All those monster maxx motors and badmaxx motors that are 14.4 volt 550 size cans (like the ESC only works with) require UNGODLY amounts of maintence IMHO. So unless your good at motor maintence, those lower turn incentives dont do much for ya.

The stock evx has never given me any problems on my emaxx... But that one ^ doesnt cost that much more, more bang for your buck then the evx, no question.
Also, the emaxx has enough torque to flip over onto its lid if you gun the throttle. [>:]

The maxx trucks have a reputation of not being the most durable trucks around, but they do have a phenomenal line of after market parts. Not to mention the superier traxxas customer service.

Im not a hard basher, so i almost never break any parts on my emaxx. just twisted drive shafts and body mounts every now and again. I go off jumps, climb up trees.... stuff like that [8D]

Dont brush off the emaxx so quickly is all im saying.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:48 AM
69 GTO

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Anytime you discuss what trucks are good,bad,ugly or whatever you are going to get a ton of different opinions so all i'm going to do is give my input on the emaxx based on my experiance with one i owned&raced for about 2 years.

IMO my emaxx was one of the best electric trucks i've owned. I did some mods to it, wide maxx suspension(this was before they came stock with it) aluminum shocks, mod maxx motors aluminum skids and a faster steering servo, then a pair of race packs.

the only thing i ever broke on my emaxx was the spur gear and one rear control arm, and a couple axle shafts twisted after the mod motor swap besides that i never had a single problem with it and i raced it in the t maxx class for over a year and won the A main many times so it is a good handleing truck when set up properly.

Only drawback i had was the run time with the mod motors was only about 7-8 mins even with the HI-PO race packs.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:51 AM
RC Collector

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

E-Maxx. It's now under $300, RTR, parts are cheap, and you can strengthen it as and when you need it.

The Twin Force costs double that to get it running, and a recent RCCA comparison showed no real advantage over the e-maxx.

The TXT-1 costs even more to get running than the Twin Force, and unless you're going rock-crawling, the 11mph top speed gets old quick.

Don't forget the additional cost of 4-6 stick packs and a dual pack charger, without these you'll be limited to 15 minutes of drive time per outing.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:27 AM
ptgarcia

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks fellas, I really appreciate the help. I have decided on the E-Maxx for a couple reasons:

1.) Hop-up parts availabilty. It looks like every part on this truck can be upgraded (if needed).

2.) Parts availability (both stock and hop-up) at my LHS. If my wife breaks something I can have it going again that day or the next day.

3.) Competitive price. I can get the RTR package and at least 4 good battery packs for under $400.

4.) My wife digs it! For her, looks are more important than performance!

Thanks again for all your help!
Old 10-28-2004, 09:46 AM
lstman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i cant say i like traxxas, but for a beginner that emaxx aint bad for the reasons you described. $50.00 in aluminum and you'll be all set for her. i wish my wife would show interest in this hobby. [&o]
Old 10-28-2004, 09:53 AM
ptgarcia

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

lstman,

Now that you mention it, what hop-ups do you think are needed right out of the box? Is the supplied steering servo up to the task? Will one of my digital, high-torque metal-geared airplane servos (Hitec HS-5945MG, Futaba S9451) work as a replacement? Thanks!
Old 10-28-2004, 11:18 AM
69 GTO

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I dont think theres much "needed" right out of the box, but my suggestions for the first couple hop ups would be to replace the plastic slider axle shafts with some CVD's, a set of good tires(stock cheverons suck) and bump the shock oil up to 45-50wt.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:47 PM
lstman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

that servo from hitec should work. as far as other stuff. a set of aluminum bulkheads. acncm makes a cheap and massively strong set. ive used them on 2 t-maxx's. awesome. i threw on some aluminum skidplated and frame braces also. not really a must for a beginner. the bulkheads are though.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:49 PM
lstman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

these are before the aluminum bulkheads.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55706.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	187505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82037.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	187506  
Old 10-28-2004, 12:57 PM
ptgarcia

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks lstman.

I just ordered the E-Maxx with the silver body from Tower, along with a receiver crystal for myself. $290 delivered to my office. Not bad. I'm headed to my LHS right now for some batteries. Any recommendations? Remember, this is for my wife, so run time is more important than flat out performance. Thanks!

By the way, that is a sweet looking truck!
Old 10-28-2004, 01:07 PM
69 GTO

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Run time is another benift that you get with a hi powered "race style" packs so even though your not to concerned with hi power you will want to look for those type of packs to get the longer run time.

Sport packs are cheap (around $15-18 a pc) but you wont get the loger run times out of them.

Sanyo "team" packs in somthing like a 3300 or higher matched set will run around $40-60 a pc but will give you longer run times and also more power. If power is no concern at all and your wife dosent mind changing packs then yopu could get a couple sets of sport packs and just swap packs when the first set dies...but again there wont be the speed that you will get from the good Sanyos.

hope that helps, congrates to your wife for getting into the hobby[8D]

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service