Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

ThermalRD your opinion please sir

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

ThermalRD your opinion please sir

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 08:48 PM
fastcrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ThermalRD your opinion please sir

i own a revo and a savage, and am looking to expand the 'fleet'. im interested in the lst and know you have one,and i know you will give an honest review. please give me the pros, cons,and your experience with this truck. or, if there is another truck out there thats good, point me in the right direction. thank you in advance, chris.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:09 PM
raykessler

Default RE: ThermalRD your opinion please sir

a lot of people have been asking questions directly to thermal... not that their bad questions, but if you want to pose a question in the general forum dont direct it to one person, if you want to ask one person a question us PM

i also have a lst and i luv it..... when it works losi has worked on all the issues, and it seems like the ones that are coming out now are problem free. the mach is easy to break in/ tune, although some people have had problems with washers breaking. I have bashed this truck horribly (im a horrible driver) and so far the only breaks iv had that arnt common, is the upper and lower a arm and shock shaft, and that was becuse i went WOT into a car tire with my right front wheel

i think you will be extremly happy if you decide to buy an LST... i have

have fun
Old 11-03-2004, 09:32 PM
ThermalRD

First be warned that some "unaware" buyers have purchased the LST recently and gotten a 27mhz, 6 channel synth radio. Not the 30 channel 75mhz advertised on the site. This is not a scam, its legit. Horizon hobby has added the part number to the list. So if thats a concern for you, be sure to check the box before you buy! They both sell for the same price too. The truck looks, and handles great. The engine runs ok. Its more sensitive to tune than most engines. Radio equipment is good, and the servos all get the job done. The plastic on the truck is tough. For a heavy truck, the suspension arms, towers, and body posts all hold up really well. For a large truck, it can really tear up a track. The aftermarket support is good too. There are some down sides though... The truck uses aluminum pinions on the clutch bell. Big mistake. If you run in gravel, loose dirt, or any debris, kiss them goodbye real fast. So put the hardened pinions on your "must have" list if you buy an LST. Those same gears are also covered by a single gear cover hanging over the side of the chassis. In direct line of fire for anything kicked up from the front tire. Bad place to have open gears. So put the secondary gear cover on the "must have" list too. It seems by now the early bugs are worked out of the truck. Although i havent run mine a whole lot since the updates, it seems to be holding up "OK". I only say OK, because my pinions are heavily worn, and my rear diff came apart on me last time. Even with the problems the truck had initially, i still like it. I like the support it gets, and i like the overall look, and performance of the truck. If you are a collector, go for it. I plan on taking mine to the track with me tomorrow for practice, to run several tanks thru it again. Hopefully it treats me good tomorrow.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:00 PM
fastcrash

please let me know how it treats you tomorrow, i dont baby my trucks, i expect them to be reliable. although i think i murdered my revos 2.5r last week. its a shame too, that engine was one of the best engines ive ever had.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:06 PM
fastcrash

SOLD! WOW THATS CHEAP! i gunna hafta buy another one. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJFG3&P=0
Old 11-04-2004, 09:49 AM
binaryterror

My thoughts on the LST are: Pretty tough, the racers did very well...heck I never thought a truck that big could turn that good!

It does have some teething issues...but come on all trucks do, the Savage was so bad HPI stepped up and made a version 2 release.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:39 PM
fastcrash

i thought the savage was fine. i bought the savage .21 when it first came out and had no problems with it, it could have used a little more power, but what stock truck cant use a little more zip?
Old 11-04-2004, 04:23 PM
icenutz

Aluminum Diff cases are an MUST and are cheap. Also, upgrade your stock clutch shoes and springs, I use the stock Savage shoes and springs and they are doing great.

There is also an issue with a washer that was put in the engine to aid the roto start. The washer is between the connecting rod and rotor. It appears that half of them rip apart and lock up the engine causing damage. Many, including me are taking them out. I have about 2 gallons through my engine with out the washer and no problems.

I must admit that after these couple of issues were resolved I love the truck!!!!
Old 11-04-2004, 08:55 PM
ThermalRD

Well, you wanted to know how the LST did. I just returned from dirt burners. The LST did what it does best...It fell apart... I didnt even bother with it after that. I had it tuned real nice, ran about 5 good laps, then the rear of the truck sank to the ground. Lost the hinge pin somehow, or something broke. I'll look at it in a while. Its kinda funny i guess, my laps were flawless. No wrecks. Just fell apart....
Old 11-04-2004, 08:59 PM
tamiya08
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: ThermalRD

Well, you wanted to know how the LST did. I just returned from dirt burners. The LST did what it does best...It fell apart... I didnt even bother with it after that. I had it tuned real nice, ran about 5 good laps, then the rear of the truck sank to the ground. Lost the hinge pin somehow, or something broke. I'll look at it in a while. Its kinda funny i guess, my laps were flawless. No wrecks. Just fell apart....

funky, i guess that little kid sunday, took out the hinge pin!! (kid with the MGT) you saw him he was playing with the lst when they were telling us about the 3rd qualifing. post pics
Old 11-04-2004, 09:01 PM
oatmealman
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

see thats y i stayed away from the lst it's a POS i hate them for $700 you should get all aluminum and it should be bashible as hell,but hey guess what there not the saying isn't always true,you get what you pay for,thats a freking lie look at the lst it's $700 and it's a piece,my duratrax maximum mt could out last the thing,i bash the hell out of it and locked diff and i have no probs with stripping gears or anything else.so i'm getting a new diff so i can switch them out
Old 11-04-2004, 09:08 PM
raykessler

see thats y i stayed away from the lst it's a POS i hate them for $700 you should get all aluminum and it should be bashible as hell,but hey guess what there not the saying isn't always true,you get what you pay for,thats a freking lie look at the lst it's $700 and it's a piece,my duratrax maximum mt could out last the thing,i bash the hell out of it and locked diff and i have no probs with stripping gears or anything else.so i'm getting a new diff so i can switch them out

do you even own a lst, no you don so you cant bash it

for one it only costs $600 so stop inflating the price, every truck has its problems when it first comes out, and right about now most of the LST's have been worked out, many duratrash whoops duratrax trucks get bashed to cause they break a lot, theres a reason they come with a stress guerantee, u were just luckey and got a good one

like i said before i luv my lst, i just finished putting a RB .28 and new wheels/ tires on, its gonna scream
Old 11-04-2004, 09:09 PM
ThermalRD

Alot of people were looking over my LST at Sundays' race. I really dont know why it happened tonight. Every damn time i try to run the truck something goes wrong with it. Even the last time i had it out. I thought it went great. Got it apart, and found my rear diff was shot.[]

ORIGINAL: tamiyakid08

funky, i guess that little kid sunday, took out the hinge pin!! (kid with the MGT) you saw him he was playing with the lst when they were telling us about the 3rd qualifing. post pics
Old 11-04-2004, 09:14 PM
tamiya08

Alot of people were looking over my LST at Sundays' race. I really dont know why it happened tonight. Every damn time i try to run the truck something goes wrong with it. Even the last time i had it out. I thought it went great. Got it apart, and found my rear diff was shot.[]

im might not figure out the problem, but what type of gears are you running? (type of metal), taken it easy on the throttle, or my way tnx style?, and how enclosed are the gearboxes, i dunno what the problem is with the lst. poor enginering, might help narrow it down, i like the lst, not saying its a POS, but i think they should have waited, and gone throught 1000s of tests before putting it into production.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:01 PM
oatmealman
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

i'm not dissing the lst and no i don't own one i do look over the lst forum quite abite,so shut the f up,and i like the lst it's just to expensive for what you get
Old 11-04-2004, 10:04 PM
tamiya08

heres my theory: you got new stronger cvds correct? so before those would have been the breaking point. and now there stonger so there taking it out on those gears. help explain it: its like putting all alumin a-arms on a plastice gear case. before you woulda broken the a-arm, no you breaking the gear box, beacuase you made the part that was soppose to break instead of the gearbox, stronger.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:06 PM
ThermalRD

Thats the thing about tonight though. My damn truck IS updated. This should not have happened. I know a ton of people were checking it out Sunday. I guess i'll just have to keep my trucks put up when im not near them. I brought it to show a few people the new parts i had on it, and too many people thought it was a touch n' feel exhibit. Either way, its back together now. It appears it was just an e-clip that came off the lower hinge pin at the c-hub. I have many tricks up my sleeve if this becomes a problem. I honestly dont think it will though.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:07 PM
ThermalRD

Well, unfortunately i didnt get a chance to run it long enough tonight to find out if the diff will hold up. But yes, you are on the right train of though. I have stronger cvds, and axles, and diff cases. So the diffs are under more stress.

heres my theory: you got new stronger cvds correct? so before those would have been the breaking point. and now there stonger so there taking it out on those gears. help explain it: its like putting all alumin a-arms on a plastice gear case. before you woulda broken the a-arm, no you breaking the gear box, beacuase you made the part that was soppose to break instead of the gearbox, stronger.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:11 PM
tamiya08

Well, unfortunately i didnt get a chance to run it long enough tonight to find out if the diff will hold up. But yes, you are on the right train of though. I have stronger cvds, and axles, and diff cases. So the diffs are under more stress.

whats the cheapest part you can buy for the drivetrain?, maybe the axle joints? i mean you need something to take that stress off the diffs.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:25 PM
tamiya08

heres what you could try put the stock one of this in , but leave the diff gear it self the same, and all the joints if you made them heavy duty, dont.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53737.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	189994  
Old 11-04-2004, 11:17 PM
binaryterror

LOL

ThermalRD somehow you got easily the weakest LST made. Gabe's seems to be more solid...try the Losi Lemon Law?

Now onto my Mammoth...boy I forgot how the X-Terminator was made to use a single center diff and not a 2 speed, things are going very slowly. Final numbers though: 2.625" (2 5/8" for those who don't know decimals) shorter wheelbase.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:23 PM
tamiya08

ORIGINAL: binaryterror

LOL

ThermalRD somehow you got easily the weakest LST made. Gabe's seems to be more solid...try the Losi Lemon Law?

Now onto my Mammoth...boy I forgot how the X-Terminator was made to use a single center diff and not a 2 speed, things are going very slowly. Final numbers though: 2.625" (2 5/8" for those who don't know decimals) shorter wheelbase.

kool, 2 inches shorter, what are you gonna do with the roll cage.
thermal, i think he got one of the first ones, and sometimes i dont trust hobby shops sometimes when buying a R/C. the boxes always seem to be open.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:14 AM
fastcrash

i guess i'll have to wait till a more revised or updated version of the truck becomes available. i dont mind working on, and upgrading a truck, but not so soon after i bought it, thank you Thermalrd for your honest info on the truck, your word is good as gold w/me.......chris