Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Revo vs TNX.......Who's the winner?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Revo vs TNX.......Who's the winner?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 08:52 AM
david77449

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo vs TNX.......Who's the winner?

Hey all!

I’ve narrowed my decision down between one of these two trucks for my new MT. First of all I’ve decided to go with a small block as I’ve had tons of problems with all of my big block MT’s eating the drive trains alive pretty much. It also seems to me the small blocks can pretty much handle the big boys on the track anyway, lol.

I’ve read a lot, watched, and raced against Revos at my local track and I’m pretty impressed with them so far. The stock power seems just a tad low but they kill in the rough, turns, and overall handling it seems. I love the spider like articulation of the suspension.

I’ve never seen a TNX run but have been hearing more and more about them. Trying to keep up with the pros seems like the Tamiya boys have been giving Slayden hell with the TNX as of late.

Now I know there will be more Revo owners on here than TNX owners but I’d like opinions from anyone that may have seen these two trucks race against each other or driven both of them if possible. Please no truck flaming as I’m sure both of these MT’s are good trucks and we all know that all MT’s have their own problems.

Thanks,
David

PS. Please read this entire thread starter if you would. Note: A few of the obviously more intelligent people here seem to have missed the last sentence or chose not to see it! Read below to see what I mean. A good example would be "diffs are garbage" instead of the diffs seem to be a problem, or I have had problems with the diffs.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:02 AM
oatmealman
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Revo vs TNX.......Who's the winner?

i got some information for you,first off i've seen a tnx and a revo both race and the tnx wasted the revo,i swaer that i did,of course the track was tight and very technical and the driver the the tnx was probably a pro at the track,and the revo driver was a noob since he was all over the track,both were completly stock and the tnx finished second cause he flippd over right before the finish line,and the revo would catch up in the stright aways but boy when that tnx hit the corners it killed the revo,generally the revo was faster in strightaways,but the tnx would walk away it had alonger strightaway.personally i would go with the tnx it has aftermarket spport,it's fast,cheaper than the revo,handles better than revo,and it just plain over all faster ad better at the track
Old 11-12-2004, 09:35 AM
remten2001

I had a tnx and it is an awsome truck but looks like tamiya doesn't want to support it with aftermarket parts...Yes the tnx is fast and has one good engine..But how good is an mt without any support?There isn't much support for it...Ya i know new era models make parts for it but thats about it.I would go for a revo...It has tons of support already and didn't take long for traxxas to show support for it....
Old 11-12-2004, 10:30 AM
Tnx_4_life

how bout this for a tnx?

i love my tnx, altho i catn seem to get the engine right(i cant stop fidiling with the needles :S)

Tim
Old 11-12-2004, 12:51 PM
remten2001

did you try your tnx with those huge tires and wheels?I bet the engine can barelly turn them...I tried some of those imex jombo maxx tires on mine and it could barelly shift into second gear....
Old 11-12-2004, 01:20 PM
69 GTO

I would cast a vote for the Revo(of course i own one) but reason being this. The Revo has the most adjustablity in the tuning of the suspension, far more than any other truck and it sounds like you are planning on racing. Along with that suspension tuning there are already many parts avaliable for the Revo and with traxxas history of support on the maxx series of trucks its just logical that the revo will share that same support.

This next statement is just stateing a fact so NO ONE START FLAMING. Everything that i have heard of the TNX is that it is indeed a very well built truck and there have been some that are giving Slayden a bit of trouble lately BUT...Tamiya has never been known to build anything close to being sutable for racing on the track competivly untill this truck. So they dont have the support out there yet for the truck because the bashers dont need the parts as urgent as the racers so i think (at least for awhile) parts avialability is going to be a big problem.

That being said I'd say you'll be happy with the performance of ethier truck, the Revo is a great handling truck and IMO the 2.5R keeps up with any other SB out their, the TNX is a equally good truck. Might come down to the smaller thing that will help make the decision..parts support,weight,tire choices,etc...
Old 11-12-2004, 03:00 PM
insanerc
My Feedback: (15)

wizen2002,

I believe it was you I saw on the Terra Crusher forum. If so then I have seen your truck and also saw you had it up for sale there. Is this the reason you sold it because of no support from Tamiya? If so yes indeed that's a serious issue and not a situation I want to get in to.

Anyone else have any comments about Tamiya's support on this vehicle? I certainly appreciate any info at all.

Thanks to all you guys for helping me make the right decision.
David
Old 11-12-2004, 03:02 PM
KiwiJoe

Both.

I don't understand the "not enough support" thing. Towerhobbies has all the replacement parts 4 the TNX on hand.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=TAMC3508&P=Z

And these 2 places have a great range of hopups. How many upgrades du ya need?

http://www.hobbyetc.com/cgi-bin/cata...id=167&man=gpm

http://www.neweramodels.com/prod66_t...gemwf#TNX106SD

Old 11-12-2004, 03:06 PM
remten2001

what about hop ups from HCR or RPM or RRP?what about steel spur gears?The only company making hop ups for the tnx or terra crusher are cheap based companies like GPM...New era has some kool stuff but IMO its all heavy aluminum hop ups that puts nothing but unwanted weight on the truck...
Old 11-12-2004, 03:15 PM
69 GTO

Not to get off david's topic but i'll explain what i meant by "not enough support" when i said it.

I dont mean that there is not enough support through mail order companies such as tower but rather most (at least around here) hobby shops for whatever reason dont carry a good supply of replacment parts "on hand" for certain trucks (TNX being one of them). The problem that that causes for racers is if you are qualifying and break a part then you need to be able to go into the hobby shop portion of the track and get a replacement and get it on the truck FAST so you can still compete in the Main of the race.

If the part is for a Revo,T maxx,Savage then more than likely they have it in stock and its not a problem, if its for a TNX then chances are they probaly wont have it and you will miss out on the race and have to have them order it.

Again i'm not bashing the TNX i honestly think it is a great truck but these are just things that a racer has to keep in mind so he can ethier get a truck that is easy to get parts for at most hobby shops...or order some spare parts to keep in his pit box thats all.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:35 PM
binaryterror

Well let me chime in as an owner of a very poorly supported vehicle (XTM).

Aftermarket support for XTM is slim, but that being said I like the truck, but you do have to know that chances are your local shop might not have parts, sure they can order them, but what fun is that when waiting and not driving?

Another problem with Tamiya...no support and kinda weak day 1. No aluminum shocks and the stock plastic ones are not even worth calling shocks. I would expect more from them.

Now XTM does make a ton of stronger parts for their vehicles, Tamiya might, but not soon enough to keep the TNX up and selling.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:18 PM
Tnx_4_life

ORIGINAL: binaryterror

Another problem with Tamiya...no support and kinda weak day 1. No aluminum shocks and the stock plastic ones are not even worth calling shocks. I would expect more from them.

srry to say, but tamiya actualy made aluminuim shocks for the TC....its even on the back of my tnx box lol.

did you try your tnx with those huge tires and wheels?I bet the engine can barelly turn them...I tried some of those imex jombo maxx tires on mine and it could barelly shift into second gear....
well i got a new servo with the tires(hitec 645) and i was running on 4,8 volt. it turned great, the turning cirlce was a bit larger but thats because the tires are wider. well because it was freezing cold here, i couldnt get my engine running. it kept on stalling. when it finally stayed on, i couldnt get it faster than running speed. even on a stand it wouldnt go faster. ill try again tomorrow to get my motor right.

ill update here then.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:13 PM
repete

TNX..it doesnt have an aftermarket..mainly cause..it doesnt need it..sure they have a few parts that u can get...but for pure fuction..the TNX is a winner
Old 11-12-2004, 09:15 PM
ICrashThings

ORIGINAL: repete

TNX..it doesnt have an aftermarket..mainly cause..it doesnt need it..sure they have a few parts that u can get...but for pure fuction..the TNX is a winner
aftermarket parts are fun though, thats what makes this hobby so great. Sure, any nitro or electric truck doesnt NEED aftermarket stuff, but if that happened, we would all have the same thing and it would be boring. [&o]
Old 11-13-2004, 12:51 AM
david77449

Well the pros and cons are pretty much what I expected I’ll have to say. Traxxas with its major support throughout the rc industry vs. Tamiya with its meager support.

How’s this for a scenario? What if team Tamiya and the TNX keep kicking Slayden’s butt in the small block class? Any thought of what this would mean to either company or would it change anything? How much of what we do in rc is influenced by what the pros do? Take it from me the aftermarket companies are going to support what’s selling the most. Just a thought.

David
Old 11-13-2004, 01:21 AM
69 GTO

Personaly I like the fact that the TNX is giving Slaydens Revo a "run for his money" because IMO thats what helps to push the companies such as traxxas,tamiya,Losi and such to keep doing R&D and to keep coming out with trucks that are getting better and better....its all about "one ups man ship".

"How much of what we do is influenced by what the pros do?".....i would say ALOT wether many of us realize it or not. If the pros are using a certain truck/upgrades to win big at the big races then you know alot of the "local track racers" are watching/reading what they are using and copying them.
Example....if the TNX was to consitently beat the Revo all the time at the big races i think alot of local racers would go for the TNX, then the guys that dont race but are in the "RC loop" from reading websites, RC mags,etc, etc.. are going to start hearing about the TNX winning at the big races and they will most likely feel the TNX must be the way to go so they will start buying he TNX over the revo. Then tamiya would see the increase in TNX sales and realize the need for more support for that truck and BAM local hobby shops are replacing Revo parts with TNX parts.

At least thats the way i see things....and TNX/Revo were just used as examples, i think my theory holds true for any trucks/cars.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:29 AM
popa71

The TNX is a good MT but that statement is pure garbage. It doesnt have a big aftermarket because companies do not see a BIG profit in making parts for it. If that statement you made was true there would also be no afermarket for the Revo or Savage. Those trucks dont break parts very often but they have a huge aftermarket!!!!!!!!!!
I would take a Revo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-13-2004, 10:42 AM
david77449

popa71,

I agree with you on the subject matter but there is no reason to call somones opinion "complete garbage"! This is the kind of childish stuff that always starts flame wars here and on other forums. Wouldn't it have been just as easy to say I don't agree with you? The man's statement was not rude or flaming anyone or anything. I just don't understand why almost every thread has to end up in a flame war. Amazing!

David
Old 11-13-2004, 10:45 AM
david77449

maxxoverkill,

Seems you see things pretty much the same as I do! Next year could be very interesting indeed.

David
Old 11-13-2004, 11:37 AM
Tnx_4_life

well dudes, i got my tnx running porpely today with the new tires it was insane. i wasnt able to flip it over, but then again the ground was a but wet...as for not shifting, i had cahnge the shifting point b4 i got the new tires. so it worked out great with these tires it was a bit slower, but it ate evrything in its path lol. the as for low end, havent tuned it to best point, but still running lw end a tad rich, it doesnt make wheelies, but it takes off as a rokcet. I did see my tnx had a the slightest bit of trouble on mid heigh wet grass. it did shift, but it didnt make really high revs. But it was wet and grass was pretty high. So id say these tires are THABOMB for my tnx. i would recommend a new servo tho...ive got the hitec 645 and i was running on 4,8 volt, and even then it turned the wheels. not fully but it did. well so far my wheels. im gonna gt my big bore shocks on this evening and try them tomorrow, see how stiff it is.

Keep u posted.

Tim
Old 11-13-2004, 12:02 PM
repete

savage comes with garbage diffs..and revo cant keep up with a TNX..so there is a reason they have an aftermarket
Old 11-13-2004, 04:00 PM
fastcrash

savage comes with garbage diffs..and revo cant keep up with a TNX..so there is a reason they have an aftermarket
revo cant keep up with the tnx ? are you for real? the tnx is no more than tamiyas version of a t-maxx with an o.s. engine. the tnx is no better than a t-maxx with a sirio 18. the tnx cant keep up with the revo, and will NEVER be half as good at the track! BRING THE FLAMES MY, REVO IS MY FIRE EXTINGUISHER!!!!!!!! [>:]
Old 11-13-2004, 06:00 PM
Tnx_4_life

dude cut the crap and be reasonable.....neways, i think the lack of parts shouldnt put u down. newera has some stuff, and so does GPM. But the question is if u can get parts for if u break something. If not, dont get a tnx. simple as that() i like my tnx, its already got some nice new parts. i drove it today and for some reason i broke the screw that holds the servo servo on the servo....my new servo...and that made dog poop out of hte thread [>:][:@] i dont understand how this can happen....im going to email hitec and see what they gotta say bout this...
Old 11-13-2004, 06:35 PM
david77449

NOTICE TO ALL:

Well I was the original thread starter here and now I’m sorry I did. This will be my last post to my own topic thanks to all the children that feel they have to start flame wars. Man you guys need to do some serious growing up!

To all the mature folk I appreciate the replies and hope you guys stick around. Without you this place wouldn’t be worth coming to!

David

PS. Moderators feel free to shut down this thread anytime you want. A simple question is a mistake it seems!
Old 11-13-2004, 08:12 PM
Tnx_4_life

srry to hear that, i was only trying to be informative to you....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.