Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Does anyone like or have the OFNA Monster Pirate?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Does anyone like or have the OFNA Monster Pirate?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 09:59 PM
Rush7
My Feedback: (74)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone like or have the OFNA Monster Pirate?

I want to get a monster truck and I can get the OFNA Moster Pirate for a great price $135 it is used but in great shape. Would this be a good truck. This is just for my pleasure, no racing, tug-a-wars or anything like that. I am just getting started in the truck relm.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:51 AM
Bark-RCU

Default RE: Does anyone like or have the OFNA Monster Pirate?

I have what started out as a Monster Pirate,but it's more like a Dominator now.I like the truck.It's very durable and easy to work on once you know what to do.My LHS stocks lots of replacement parts for it.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:10 AM
tomoko69

You just need to be aware that it's not really a truck, it's a factory converted buggy. Set up right it's a good racer but for bashing you don' t really get that 'monster truck' experience. The suspension in particular is quite short and lacks travel.

It's also a pretty old design and new hop-ups are not really being made for it now.

Then again, at $135 the price is definitely right!

I have spent too much on mine to abandon it now, and for racing it's good enough, but I would have been happier if I'd got a proper truck...
Old 11-15-2004, 11:51 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Well, I ran one (dominator) for about a year with great luck
I did have to rebuild the diffs once but other than that it was a very reliable truck and fun to drive
I actually just sold mine on ebay (really 2 trucks for the price of one)

Anyways, some of what Tomoko says is partly true
This argument that it’s “Not a truck it’s a converted buggy” is really getting old.

The Pirate has been around for about 4-5 years? In RC Truck design years that’s a lot, and it has reached retirement years for sure.
They really never made many hop up when it was new,, The aftermarket industry was concentrstion on stuff for the T-Maxx at the time.
The Dom hasn’t been discontinued yet,, but I’d guess it soon will be once Ho Boa comes out with the H7 truggy project.

It’s rue that the Pirate and Dominator are based on a buggy chassis and don’t have the suspension travel of a Revo or Savage, LST type truck, So if your looking for a back woods basher it might not be the best choice,,, But if you want something for relatively flat surfaces and racing it’s not a bad choice. I always enjoyed taking mine out camping in the desert.

Compared to what has come out in the last year or two, the Pirate/Dom is obsolete in it’s design, True that, But for $135 you can’t go wrong for a first truck. If it’s in good shape,, I say go for it. You’ll always be able to get most of thar $135 back if you decide to sell it in a couple weeks or months

Good luck
Old 11-15-2004, 03:10 PM
Rush7
My Feedback: (74)

Thanks for all of the help guys. I just wanted to have it for bashing around in the yard and stuff is this a wise choice?
I have just gotten sick of having to take my RS4 to the parking lot if I want to use it. The street I live on is nasty with deep ditches on each side and it is not very forgiving if you lose a road car. It can trash one pretty bad.
Thanks
Old 12-03-2004, 02:16 AM
bsammyfl
My Feedback: (4)

Hello, I love my monster pirate! Simply put is a great platform for anything from back yard fun to racing. This next spring I am going to be raceing my 3rd pirate. This one will have a fantom fr.21 2005 engine at it's heart. I should have it done by christmas. All thats left is a steering servo and its complete. I have invested around $800.00 in it. And I dont have a lot of money and 800 is an insane amount for me to have spent. But this truck is worth it. I have had 2 others I bought them used cheap ran them hard and resold them for a profit. These trucks have it all fast, tough, good looking. If it is in good shape and it runs. For 130.00 grab it.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:23 AM
Brad_1908

I agree with bsammyfl. i have a hobao monster pirate which is my second truck. i love it, it takes anything u can through at it. i'v flipped it an number of times and raced across a bumpy field at top speed with no problem at all. (if its in good shape) For 130 i'd DEFENETLY get it, u wont regret it.