RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Exotic RC fuels

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 08:05 PM
Johnny Ripper
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exotic RC fuels

Has anyone used any fuels other than nitro in any .12-.28 sized engines. I have been giving some serious thought in mixing up my own fuels to help save a little money. The only thing I could think of is mixing methanol (alcohol) with some high quality two stroke oil from a motorcycle shop. Or mix pure castor 50/50 with high quality two stroke synthetic oil. Then add that to the methanol. I'm having second thoughts about that because nitromethane is what makes BIG horsepower. But I know that the there is already a good amount of methanol in model fuel.

I would realy appreciate some professional help on this issue.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:14 PM
cardriverx

Default RE: Exotic RC fuels

well im no pro but if i was u i really REALLY wouldent do it. u could hav premature detanation, and u could get seriuusly hurt. its not worth it.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:17 PM
tamiya08
My Feedback: (10)

if you did, ussaly my gallon say all the ingredients, i think some of them might be hard to get. you could also just get a disael head, they run 40% kooler than stock, and you have about 40 minutes of play time with a stock tank.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:30 PM
Johnny Ripper

Thanks for your concern of my safety, But I'm not afraid to blow anything up. Diesel head? sounds interesting, where would i get one, what engine do they make them for? did you mean you run diesel fuel? Methanol is realy cheap at 3 dollers a gallon. Maybe I will mix it up and let you guys know what happens.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:32 PM
cardriverx

yea what do u mean diseal? do u run diseal?
Old 11-29-2004, 08:37 PM
tamiya08

ORIGINAL: Bash Master

Thanks for your concern of my safety, But I'm not afraid to blow anything up. Diesel head? sounds interesting, where would i get one, what engine do they make them for? did you mean you run diesel fuel? Methanol is realy cheap at 3 dollers a gallon. Maybe I will mix it up and let you guys know what happens.

it is a diseal head, which replaces you engine head with a new one that uses no glow plugs here
http://www.davisdieseldevelopment.com/diesel/index.htm

now it says you can run on there diseal fuel, i think its just diseal fuel with extra added oil, i dunno tho heres a pick

some where there is a pic of an ofna buggy with it, i cant find it right now
Old 11-29-2004, 08:41 PM
aero528
My Feedback: (9)

it says it is for .46-3.6 engines, so i dont think it will work with a .12-.28(or whatever you run in your rc), unless you are running a truckzilla conversion, or a genisus.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:48 PM
tamiya08

well i kno theres ahead for a .21, i asked the guy about it. and plus you read it wrong its .049-3.6
Old 11-29-2004, 08:50 PM
tamiya08

http://www.davisdieseldevelopment.co...y/gallery3.htm

click next
Old 11-29-2004, 08:55 PM
cardriverx

u kno a few days agao i was thinkin "what if they make a diseal motor for r/c cars" lol what a coincadince a diseal motor would be cool, no more glow plugs or charging ur glow starter, plus u get a longer run time.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:03 PM
smashn

interesting......if someone has it would be nice to see a video of that thing running....also i think i would be a little concerned about jelling in the winter with deisel fuel in such a small motor! just a thought tho
Old 11-29-2004, 09:46 PM
mr-rccrazy

not to be an english teacher, but does anyone know the correct spelling of diesel here? DIESEL, lol. Anyways, why would the diesel head be so much more efficent with fuel as you have said, the only thing i could imagine is less power but lower temps. the methanol/nitro/oil blends used in standard nitro r/c engines must burn at a much higer temperature than diesel, but I could not imagine it being that much less efficent.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:52 PM
tamiya08

ORIGINAL: mr-rccrazy

not to be an english teacher, but does anyone know the correct spelling of diesel here? DIESEL, lol. Anyways, why would the diesel head be so much more efficent with fuel as you have said, the only thing i could imagine is less power but lower temps. the methanol/nitro/oil blends used in standard nitro r/c engines must burn at a much higer temperature than diesel, but I could not imagine it being that much less efficent.

yea thats how you spell it, for some reason i couldnt spell it right, but it has lower running temp, longer running times, more torque, no glow plugs.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:02 PM
cardriverx

go to [link=http://www.howstuffworks.com]how stuff works[/link] and u can find out everythin about diesel engines!
Old 11-29-2004, 10:03 PM
Johnny Ripper

I thank you a lot for the info tamiyakid08. Most people jump all over me and tell what kind of idot i am and never give me anything useful. I will give the diesel head a try.

Has anyone tried a oil-methanol mix in a nitro engine.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:06 PM
tamiya08

I thank you a lot for the info tamiyakid08. Most people jump all over me and tell what kind of idot i am and never give me anything useful. I will give the diesel head a try.

no problem, you just gotta write a review, or make a movie, alot of people on this forum want to see this. i am also wondering if there is a smell change.

chris
Old 11-29-2004, 10:13 PM
aero528
My Feedback: (9)

how much is that head for a .25? can i use it with any ,21 or .25 engine? what else do i need besides the head(and the fuel)? thanks! i think the diesel burns with more 'punch', so it gives you more power. i know if you burn nitro fuel by itself, it does not explode, but just queitly burns away with a green flame(looks kinda cool imho). i have not tried to burn diesel(hehe), but i would imagine it burns with more explosive properties. please correct me if im wrong, becuase this is just a guess. and, hey its only $2.00 a gallon!
Old 11-29-2004, 10:24 PM
tamiya08

ORIGINAL: aero528

how much is that head for a .25? can i use it with any ,21 or .25 engine? what else do i need besides the head(and the fuel)? thanks! i think the diesel burns with more 'punch', so it gives you more power. i know if you burn nitro fuel by itself, it does not explode, but just queitly burns away with a green flame(looks kinda cool imho). i have not tried to burn diesel(hehe), but i would imagine it burns with more explosive properties. please correct me if im wrong, becuase this is just a guess. and, hey its only $2.00 a gallon!

on that website, theres a pricelist link, click on it, or email the guy ask him how much it is. i think it might be kinda expensive for a head, but its sorta a conversion kit. also im not sure if you can run on "pump" diesel. cuz diesel (forgot the name) in winter. and one of the reviews said the fuel worked great in winter, so i think there might be some more stuff to it, but hey TRY IT on PUMP.

here an experiment, see what it will run on
trials
1: pump diesel
2: pump diesel with 2 stroke oil
3: go out crazy, cuz i cant think and my hand just fell alseep

chris

also i wonder how hard it is gonna be to start it, no glow plug, with a pull start??????
Old 11-29-2004, 10:34 PM
Johnny Ripper

I think real diesel engine have glow plugs (not like rc glow plugs) to get the engine started. I tkink they are like heat elements or something. When I start my diesel I have to wait 30 sec or so for the start light to go off before I start it.

Correct me if im wrong though.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:37 PM
tamiya08

thats correct, diesel dont have spark plugs like normal cars, they have glow plugs, but thats only for starting. when it compresses the gasses then theres that power stroke were the normal spark plug is soppose to fire, but in a diesel it just fires anywere and any time during the compression,

also correct me if i wrong, i think i got the under standing of it right, but im not sure on the compression and power strokes

chris

I think real diesel engine have glow plugs (not like rc glow plugs) to get the engine started. I tkink they are like heat elements or something. When I start my diesel I have to wait 30 sec or so for the start light to go off before I start it.

Correct me if im wrong though.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:43 PM
Johnny Ripper

Diesel's have no ignition system and the work like everyother four stroke engine. The big diffence is they have a enormus stroke but not very big bore. Thats why most diesels dont rev over 3000 rpm.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:46 PM
tamiya08

oo yea, my memories comming back about this stuff now.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:26 PM
^^_FaWaZ_^^

so now if i put diesel in my nitro in engine without the diesel head, will it start ??
Old 11-30-2004, 03:28 PM
binaryterror

ORIGINAL: ^^_FaWaZ_^^

so now if i put diesel in my nitro in engine without the diesel head, will it start ??
Nope...you need the head and the Diesel ignition, since the diesel will not burn oht enough to keep our Glow plugs lit
Old 11-30-2004, 03:29 PM
binaryterror

Thats like running normal fuel without the nitro, so basically no power and no punch.

Our Fuel contains:
8-20% Oil (in some sort of castor / synthetic blend.
5-40% Nitro Methanol.
Rest is all methanol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.