Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

MGT or used T-maxx/.21 conversion?

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

MGT or used T-maxx/.21 conversion?

Old 11-30-2004, 11:21 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MGT or used T-maxx/.21 conversion?

Hey, I was just wondering if you guys would recommend I get a used T-maxx and do a .21 conversion, or get a new MGT? I'm not a big fan of the MGT's stock engine/radio/servos, and I was thinking it'd be cheaper to convert a used Maxx to a .21 (would be using all new parts w/the Maxx) than it would to buy an MGT, and make it the way I want it.
any thoughts on the Dynamite .21 conversion for the Maxx? I dig the Mach .26 (more or less the same engine as in my XTM X-Terminator, both manufactured by SH, and has a nice pipe with it)
so...any thoughts?
thanks
Old 12-01-2004, 01:09 AM
LLLosingit

Default RE: MGT or used T-maxx/.21 conversion?

I say go with the MGT.
I had 2 Tmaxx's that I converted to 21's and both were money pits even after upgrading the driveline, I spent over $1200 upgrading a brand new Maxx and I was still dumping money into upgrades til the day I sold it.
I have had my MGT for about 3 months now and haven't put a dime into other than fuel and glow plugs and I put 2 gallons of fuel thru it and its still going strong.
The driveline is better than my hopped up Maxx and it handles better.
I will uprade the motor, bigger is always better. I'm looking at either a Novarossi 28 or Sirio 27 both are pushing 3hp with tons of torque and i'm not worried about exploding the driveline as long as your not landig full throttle it should hold up well.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:33 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

does RRP still make the guts for the Maxx trans? Is there a market for the take-off parts I'd have from the MGT? (electronics and engine)
Old 12-01-2004, 02:50 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

HOOOLY MOSES, HobbyPeople has the MGT for $379.99 http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/383359.asp
looks like pappy's gettin a new ride
Old 12-01-2004, 08:46 AM
tzque

I just bought the MGT and I am very happy with this truck . I put the motor in from my savage and love this truck now . It is very balanced .
As someone else has stated MGT a very cheap now . I wouls stay away from the used tmaxx and just buy a new truck .
Old 12-01-2004, 09:24 AM
rcblaze

3 letters MGT and at that price I think I found another truck also.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:41 PM
rcpro-123
My Feedback: (2)

ok check this out if you are going to get a tmaxx get your selph a .21 with a tmaxx .21 egnine mount thats all you need dont spend your money on the .21 kits cause you are going to loose money like that do what i did just get a .21 and just drop it in your tmaxx i have a .21 hyper 8 port turbo and the only thing i broke was the clutches thats all the tmaxx truck is tough it can take the power trust me save your money
Old 12-01-2004, 03:07 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

If i do a .21 conversion, the truck's getting either an SH/Mach .26 or an XTM .247 Pro (basically all the same engines)
I don't think that'll fit the Maxx's stock engine mounts
I was discussing this with my buddy last night, i was about to order the MGT, he talked me ou of it (for the time being)
what are the weak spots in the MGT, besides the suspension arms? (either truck will get all the parts RPM offers for it, and the maxx would get aluminum bulkheads)
Old 12-01-2004, 08:11 PM
AJ DRAGON

Get a true 1/8th scale monster truck. I tried doing the T-maxx .21 conversion and I found out that you brake the CVD's left and right. Theres only one place that makes a complete set of CVD's that will last, and those will cost you $300.00 at Unlimited Engineering. Trust me you do not want to do the T-Maxx .21 conversion unless you have a lot of money to spend.