Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Engine Porting...yes....Engine Porting....NEED AID

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Engine Porting...yes....Engine Porting....NEED AID

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 06:42 PM
lax195
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Porting...yes....Engine Porting....NEED AID

HI. I used the search and I couldnt find anything on this topic (even though I do recall seeing a thread on this a couple months ago)......sooo.....do any of you guys have instructions or even a full tutorial on how to port an engine? Pictures are definitly needed. My "buddy" and I are planning on doing some porting over the winter and we dont wanna totally screw up our engines so we were hoping for some help from all you experts out there[sm=cool.gif][sm=cool.gif]. THANKS!
Old 12-16-2004, 07:42 PM
Will239

Default RE: Engine Porting...yes....Engine Porting....NEED AID

well here is an article how to port the hpi s-25 engine. But im sure its all the same;

http://www.rccaraction.com/rc/articles/htpporting_1.asp
Old 12-16-2004, 07:44 PM
tamiya08
My Feedback: (10)

if you are planning on doing these to a S-25, buy the latest RC car action (january), on pages 274-278 they take the motor from a savage and port it. now each engine is different when you come to porting it out. this RCCA mag might help you with porting, your not rly gonna find a hole lot of people that port there engines here
Old 12-16-2004, 07:47 PM
lax195

Its actually for small blocks for touring cars but I figured I would get better feedback from the people in the monster truck thread than the touring car thread.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:50 PM
tamiya08

what you need to also do is look in you engine look at the sleeve, the header and see if theres anywhere that the exhaust could flow better. and start opening up things
Old 12-16-2004, 08:01 PM
69 GTO

I cant offer any help on how to port your engine but i do want to say be VERY careful if you attempt it yourself. Not to scare you off of doing it yourself because it will give you a sence of pride if it comes out good, but having built many full size(real car motors) i can tell you that porting is something that could lead to a trashed motor is you have a little slip or take to much material off.

Again if your set on doing it yourself thats cool and best of luck...but just make sure the info you get is reliable and once you find some good honest info on doing it to your perticuliar motor follow the procedure exactly and take your time.

Good luck and let us know how she comes out!
Old 12-16-2004, 08:03 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Don't you need a tiny flow-bench and dyno too?
Old 12-16-2004, 08:04 PM
tamiya08

ORIGINAL: maxxoverkill

I cant offer any help on how to port your engine but i do want to say be VERY careful if you attempt it yourself. Not to scare you off of doing it yourself because it will give you a sence of pride if it comes out good, but having built many full size(real car motors) i can tell you that porting is something that could lead to a trashed motor is you have a little slip or take to much material off.

Again if your set on doing it yourself thats cool and best of luck...but just make sure the info you get is reliable and once you find some good honest info on doing it to your perticuliar motor follow the procedure exactly and take your time.

not to get off topic, what Full size motors you do? any brand particular or just anything that needed wrenching? any mopar hemi rebuilds?
Old 12-16-2004, 08:06 PM
mr-rccrazy

ORIGINAL: Will239

well here is an article how to port the hpi s-25 engine. But im sure its all the same;

http://www.rccaraction.com/rc/articles/htpporting_1.asp

WHOA, those specs are ONLY FOR THE S-25 NITRO ENGINE, you will destroy another engine if you use the same specs, every engine is different, so you will not be able to perform precision porting unless you can find information (timing, etc.) for your specific engine. You can do basic things like smoothing and polishing areas to increase flow, and you can do some of the other things, but you should NEVER do any port modifications without knowing exactly what you are changing and how it will affect performance. And no matter what someone says, never do the old "port matching", (matching the sleeve port with the crankcase, this will make your engine run like crap, or not run at all.) You can get general information about port modification by reading things like the RCCA articles, they have had the s-25 article, and a modification article for the traxxas pro 15. If you just have an engine sitting around, that is collecting dust and you don't care if what you do to it totally messes the engine up, go for it, but if you cannot afford destroying your engine, do NOT TRY TO PORT/POLISH.

By the way, what kind of engine is it, i may be able to help if it is one I have experience porting before.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:14 PM
lax195

I am going to be porting my OS .12cv-rx(s).
Old 12-16-2004, 08:34 PM
norris1

anyone know how to get some more power out of a revos engine it the new 2.5r i was thinking of porting it and maybe save the head a little bit if it is possible anyone knows anything email me at [email protected]
Old 12-16-2004, 08:46 PM
69 GTO

ORIGINAL: tamiyakid08

ORIGINAL: maxxoverkill

not to get off topic, what Full size motors you do? any brand particular or just anything that needed wrenching? any mopar hemi rebuilds?
Chris i've built more 350SBC than i care to count lol, a 400 pontiac,455 pontiac,289 sbf,390 ford,400 sbc 427 bbc and currently building a 8/71 blown 540bbc for my GTO. Havent owned any mopars yet...not that i dont like them cus i do but i've just always been more of a GM guy myself.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:51 PM
metroman

If you want you can try to PM MAXMOD or RBMODS, they are usually in the buggy forum and port buggy engines, they are both pretty good and if you go into the buggy forum and look up engine mods they even post some pictures of their work. I haven't use them for any of my engines but their supposed to be good from the threads I've read. Rbmods is willing to help try him first he helped me.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:03 AM
petrolpixie

just pm my buddy massivemods. he will give you all the help you need. he has ported a whole heap of my motors and they all go heaps better now.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:10 PM
lax195

Well I did my porting job and I took my NTC3 out for a spin today. I DID notice difference in power...BUT I had to tune the engine quiet a lot, and NOW it shuts off after about 1-2 minutes of running. I tested it a good 10 times and it shuts off after 1-2 mins.

DID I FUDGE THIS ENGINE UP?
Old 12-18-2004, 10:54 PM
Kemo

Hah, engine mod show'd you. Now you see why it isnt worth doing. Not to mention, its illegal to race with a modified engine.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:54 AM
lax195

Yea, I was planning on ditching the engine soon anyway. I am looking at a new .12. I need some opinions from you guys, because once again, the TC thread has proven unknoledgable. I have three choices:

O.S. .12 TR (P)-T 5 Port
Sirio .12 EVO 2 5-Port ABC SG Shaft
Rossi Black Pixi .12 Outlaw Rear Exhaust 5 Port

O and here are links if you need to glance at some spec sheets:
OS .12- http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCNA3&P=6

Sirio .12- http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGGM0&P=6

Rossi .12- http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEDA6&P=6