Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Engine upgrade break-in tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 07:20 PM
dkf1979

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine upgrade break-in tips

Hey guys. I own a Cen MT2. I've got the original NT-16 in there. I just ordered the 18 size sleeve and piston, connecting rod, and cylinder head for it. Any advice on how to break it in? I haven't really had to great of time with the piston in cylinder that's in there. I think it might have had to do with the way I broke it in. The way it runs now, once it gets up to operating temps, I loose all compression, the engine dies, and it can't be restarted until it cools down. Plus while is getting up to operating temps, it is really bogged down sounding. I'm hoping this new setup will correct my prob. Any tips or procedures would be appreciated!! Thanks guys! [8D]
Old 01-07-2005, 08:07 PM
fastcrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine upgrade break-in tips

i use the same procedure on all of my engines, and it has always worked well for me.

1 idle 4 full tanks of fuel. make sure the engine reaches the tepurature of 200 to 220 deg. f. without touching the needles, or bliping the throttle any more than to keep the engine running. do this by altering the cooling heads ability to cool, by wraping it in aluminum foil or an old sock. you may not have to do this, but your goal is to heat the engine to those temps while idling.

2 after your fourh tank, begin to drive the car around on a paved surfase, not bliping more than 1/4 throttle. burn the entire 5th tank this way, keep an eye on your engines temp, not alowing it ti exceed 240 deg f.

3 for the sixth tank, you can go up to half throttle

4 on the seventh tank, you can start to tune for performance but remember a few things:
a always use small adjustments while tuning. i always use 1/8 turn.
b always tune the high speed needle first.
c low speed needle second, and then the idle set screw.
d you want to run the engine as rich as possible , while still making acceptable power.
e give the engine a few good high speed passes between adjustments, to make sure you dont go to far when leaning.

for me the seventh tank has always been the last 'breakin tank'. but another important choice at beakin, is what fuel, and glow plug you use. all of my non turbo engines use mccoy mc-59 plugs, and odonnel 30 % race fuel. this combo has been very good for me. good luck, and have fun.[8D]