Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

glow plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 06:58 PM
PhatMuffin518

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glow plugs

Whenever you put your glow plug ignitor on the plug, is the whole inner coil (the coil facing down into the engine that you cant see unless the plug is out of the engine) supposed to get red and hot?? There is that small piece of the coil that straightens out at the end and touches the plug, is this supposed to get orange/red and heat up too? Im having a problem starting my savage and my gow plug ignitor gives me trouble sometimes, and I was unsure as to whether it is supposed to heat up that straight part of the coil too and if this could be part of my problem. Thanks fellas
Old 01-25-2005, 06:59 PM
DarkSavageX

Default RE: glow plugs

get a new plug
Old 01-25-2005, 10:38 PM
PhatMuffin518

ive switched between 3 plugs. 1 brand new. 1 with a half tank through it. 1 with so little use it should be good for 2 months. None seem to help it. They are all however the same brand, McCoy MC-8. Has anyone had any bad experience wit these plugs or is somethin else keepin my truck from starting??
Old 01-26-2005, 08:06 AM
DarkSavageX

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCB27&P=ML
Old 01-27-2005, 06:51 PM
PhatMuffin518

are you telling me i should use that ^^^ plug??
Old 01-27-2005, 10:37 PM
Rush7
My Feedback: (74)

As long as the coil inside of the plug is glowing red/orange you are okay. I have ran the McCoys before and they seem to be fine. The little straight part that you are refering will not glow red/orange. What kinda trouble are you having getting it to start? Start and quit or wont start at all? How old is your engine? Have you tried to return the engine to the factory settings? Has your carb some how gotten debris inside of it? Is your glow igniter getting a good charge?
Old 01-27-2005, 10:38 PM
DarkSavageX

get that plug and try it if you want. its a good plug last a long time
Old 01-28-2005, 08:36 AM
PhatMuffin518

the original problem was (after i changed out a spur gear) that the engine started fine, but when it got up to a few RPMs, maybe 10 mph or so, it would bog down and die. After doing this a couple times, the engine will just no longer start. I have gone through about 4 or 5 rotostart batteries,(its a savage) and changed the plugs plenty of times. Its not a rechargeable glow plug ignitor, its the ones that hold a D battery. I have changed out the batteries several times and noticed that when i take out the plug and stick it to the ignitor, sometimes it has to be positioned perfectly to get the plug hot or hot enough. Should i try buying a new ignitor?? What else could cause this??
Old 01-28-2005, 04:26 PM
DarkSavageX

if it start fine its not the plug. its the tuning
Old 01-28-2005, 04:33 PM
Nitro Rustler Racer

its not suppose to light up, its like a ground wire
Old 01-28-2005, 04:53 PM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like the plug is fine... If your glow ignitor isn't making contact well, check for dirt or oil at the tip..... as far as the engine running then stalling... is it revving up quickly or sputtering..... if it revs up quickly then dies, you are probably too lean..... if it revs slowly then stalls... you are too rich... adjust accordingly.... rarely can you get away with leaving the adjustment screws untouched for long... work with the high speed needle first... try to stay away from the low speed one.. they usually are fine....when you get it running better, then fine tune with a temp gun for speed... Hope this helps.....
Old 01-29-2005, 12:27 AM
Rush7
My Feedback: (74)

ORIGINAL: PhatMuffin518

the original problem was (after i changed out a spur gear) that the engine started fine, but when it got up to a few RPMs, maybe 10 mph or so, it would bog down and die. After doing this a couple times, the engine will just no longer start. I have gone through about 4 or 5 rotostart batteries,(its a savage) and changed the plugs plenty of times. Its not a rechargeable glow plug ignitor, its the ones that hold a D battery. I have changed out the batteries several times and noticed that when i take out the plug and stick it to the ignitor, sometimes it has to be positioned perfectly to get the plug hot or hot enough. Should i try buying a new ignitor?? What else could cause this??
This is a stupid question to ask but if the engine bogged and died and will not restart, is the motor turning freely away from the spur gear. Did you mesh the gears correctly. The reason that I ask is if the gears were not meshed correctly it could have burned the clutch up and made the engine try and pull the car will trying to start but if this was the problem then the truck would try and pull away as you started it. I think that you plug is fine would not hurt to try a new glow ignitor if you are having trouble. There again if it bogged several times and died and will not restart it sounds like some type of debris is in the carb.
If your needles have orings around them make sure that they are in good condition and try replacing them. Also make sure that the motor is getting a good prime.
If everything checks out. Return the engine to the factory settings and then try and restart.
Hope some of this helps