Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Proline Tires Poorly Balanced

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 06:41 PM
redrider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proline Tires Poorly Balanced

I just installed a set of cut Maxx Bowties on Revo Hurricane wheels. During the cutting & fitment, I noticed the rubber thickness was inconsistent, thin on one side, thick on the other. Quite naturally, this produces an unbalanced wheel. The vibration is so great that I'm sure it's causing stability problems on the track. Has anyone else noticed this with Prolines in general? Try spinning your wheels on the end of a Phillips screwdriver, or better yet, pick up your truck and gun the throttle, if you have a hard time holding on, then for sure it's a lot worse at speed.

I also have Panther Pythons and Traxxas Sportraxx tires, these are nicely balanced tires.

Anyone have a proven method of tire balancing?
Old 02-11-2005, 06:48 PM
DarkSavageX

Default RE: Proline Tires Poorly Balanced

proline tires are some of the best
Old 02-12-2005, 11:23 PM
RC RAC3R

PRO LINE is all i run, other than the stock tires.. I use the bowtie's on my SUT.. contact proline, they might help you..
Old 02-12-2005, 11:52 PM
The Boss

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have also noticed problems with Pro-line tires regarding rubber thickness, my biggest beef with pro-line in the past is how they package the rubber with the foam rolled up on the seating bead of the tire, it causes the tires to fit like crap because it looks like it stretch the rubber out so when I have gone to put the tires on... they do not fit good/tight on the rim which has also caused the tires to be out of balance.

I have gone over to OFNA tires because they are packaged better with the foam insde the tires and they have a bit more rubber content in there side walls which IMO, gives better performace.

I agree, the sportmax tires are very good too.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:57 AM
redrider

I've figured out that it takes about 13grams of weight to balance the tire/wheel. I determined this by balancing the wheel on the tip of a phillips screwdriver, the heavy side of course dips lower than the lighter side. I taped a few coins to the wheel surface at the highest point to level out the tilt. When I spun the wheel, it was wobble free just like its supposed to be. The actual solution I'm going to try is adhesive-backed lead tape, which is sometimes used by golfers to tune their clubs.
I've sent an email to Proline tech support regarding this problem but no response yet. Hopefully they can improve their manufacturing process to solve the imbalance, the Panther Pythons are perfectly balanced as they come so it's certainly possible.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:27 AM
bamaracer0

just checked my 40 series bowties mounted on dish wheels, and they are heavier on the open side(inside) but they dont wobble.

*NOTE*This was done using a screwdriver shaft, so the diameter of the shaft could have had something to do with it.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:02 AM
thunderw0lf

Apparently R/C tires have the same imperfections that regular car and truck tires do. And if it was that easy to eliminate, the manufacturers would have by now and you'd have no need to get you tire balanced. I'm thinking there really isn't anything that can be done except balancing them. But please let us know what they say.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:29 AM
redrider

Bama, try revving the engine while holding the truck off the ground. If the tires are balanced the truck will obviously be smooth. My Revo practically shakes itself out of my grip with the Bowties, but with the Pythons, it's as smooth as an electric motor.