Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

How are the PICCO or FANTOM Big Blocks?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

How are the PICCO or FANTOM Big Blocks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 04:21 PM
IslandSavage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are the PICCO or FANTOM Big Blocks?

How are the PICCO or FANTOM .27? I was looking at getting one of the two, but never seen them.. I know the Picco .27 isnt out yet(i think).. and I heard the Fantom .27 is a screamer... I race my MGT, so i need a reliable track runner ..
Old 03-07-2005, 02:14 AM
MacManInfi

Default RE: How are the PICCO or FANTOM Big Blocks?

Not sure about the .27's.

I have several 24.7 Pro's, and an Ofna Picco .26 though, and I can tell you that the Picco .26 is stronger than the 24.7 Pro. Both are outstanding motors, and easy to tune.

I also have a Orion Wasp .28 and a SH .28. And the SH motor is considerably stronger. The wasp is harder to tune, while the SH tunes easily like a 24.7 Pro.

How do you like that 24.7 Pro in your MGT? (mine are in the Savage and Mammoth).
Old 03-07-2005, 09:54 AM
TraxxasRevoProRace

Both engines are known not to be a pain in the bud to tune and they would lose the tune fast, so I wouldnt buy one of those.

what about the SH .28 ? more power, and easy to tune and reliabel.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:15 AM
saifullah21

i use the first generation fantom .27. it feels like it revs noticeably higher than my picco 26. i've never tried to remove the carb after thermalrd posted about how tight it was. he said that his wrestling it off resulted in metal shavings in the crankcase. the pullstart spring took a crap on me after about 1.5 gallons. i'd say it's a great racing engine, but i'd try an sh 28 before i buy a 2nd generation fantom. I'm not even sure what the difference is between the '04 and '05 fantom, but I do know that the sh is cheaper and proven to be reliable. I'm not an expert on tuning, but i've never experienced the on again/off again power problem that many have had trouble with. hope this helps.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:31 PM
hybridstone

SH28 ALL THE WAAAAAAY to the finish line GREAT engine and price smoke the fantom like it was a hpi25
Old 03-08-2005, 02:25 PM
rcblaze

These 2 are very close. I have run both for a while now. The SH is stronger but the Fantom is very very close to it. It's a smooth power band on the .27. The picco .26 is a good engine and should be a good buy right now all the problems with the first runs are over and it can be had cheap. AS far as which is best there is none depends on the application.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:58 PM
hybridstone

Anyone with real model engine knowledge will tell you the picco26 is no good for racing IT IS A LIGHTSWITCH!!!!!
Old 03-08-2005, 06:29 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

My 27 slightly (very slightly) out-revs my SH28, but the SH kills it through the powerband, ESPECIALLY on the bottom. You say that your 27 is very very close to your SH. Mine REALLY is not. The 27 does have a nice, wide powerband and revs high but to my style of driving the two are night and day different. From a standstill my SH will put my Savage on it's lid with 18/49 gearing (top-end gearing for you non-Savage guys)... I can't get that kind of take off with a 16tooth CB on my .27.... I never had any big issues with my 27 though, and it only saw about 3 gallons. I have engines piling up on me...
Old 03-09-2005, 12:32 PM
rcblaze

ORIGINAL: Frost_

My 27 slightly (very slightly) out-revs my SH28, but the SH kills it through the powerband, ESPECIALLY on the bottom. You say that your 27 is very very close to your SH. Mine REALLY is not. The 27 does have a nice, wide powerband and revs high but to my style of driving the two are night and day different. From a standstill my SH will put my Savage on it's lid with 18/49 gearing (top-end gearing for you non-Savage guys)... I can't get that kind of take off with a 16tooth CB on my .27.... I never had any big issues with my 27 though, and it only saw about 3 gallons. I have engines piling up on me...
Yea frost close. Very close. Thats why setup is so important and so on. Cause 18/49 with the Sh on my savage with Vertigo chassis will not wheelie for me right now. But it lays good power down. I have had the savage a while now but got this in a trade so I'm new to it. But I do know short wheelbase savage's will flip over with damn near anything. Is your's short wheelbase? I'm really curious about the 18/49 in a savage I did alot of reading on it on savage central and saw all those vids. It may be the tires I'm running thou the proline 40's road rage on the 23mm. Now did you run the 27 in the savage? And yes your right the SH has the grunt down low. But I like the smoothness of the .27. Whats faster then what is a very hard discussion to have. I think it's setup more then anything.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: bcash

ORIGINAL: Frost_

Yea frost close. Very close. Thats why setup is so important and so on. Cause 18/49 with the Sh on my savage with Vertigo chassis will not wheelie for me right now. But it lays good power down. I have had the savage a while now but got this in a trade so I'm new to it. But I do know short wheelbase savage's will flip over with damn near anything. Is your's short wheelbase? I'm really curious about the 18/49 in a savage I did alot of reading on it on savage central and saw all those vids. It may be the tires I'm running thou the proline 40's road rage on the 23mm. Now did you run the 27 in the savage? And yes your right the SH has the grunt down low. But I like the smoothness of the .27. Whats faster then what is a very hard discussion to have. I think it's setup more then anything.
My setups were identical. My Savage has seen 21, 25, 26, 27, 28, and now a 30. I have stock TVPs and it hasn't been my experience that nearly anything will make it flip... at least not with the 18t CB that I run. As a matter of fact, the 27 came out merely because I accquired the 28, it wasn't even beginning to get tired. Both saw several wheel/tires combos that I've had for a while (and were the same). The 27 just didn't have it on the bottom end. The SH, setup the same as the 27 in my truck, was faster until those last few RPMS, but the 27 has alot of ground to make up by the time the 28 quits pulling. These engines both had their own motorsaver filters, both had 3 shoe Mugen clutches, both ran 30% O'Donnell race fuel, etc... The 28 is less finicky to tune (although the 27 isn't bad) and easier to start too. I should have clocked them both with identical gearing so I could work backwards and solve for real-world RPMs.... Also like I said, the SH takes off faster and harder with an 18tCB than the 27 does with a 16tCB...
Old 03-10-2005, 12:18 PM
twkdcd595

I definately like the Ofna Picco Outlaw .26 that I just put in my Ultra, though the .26 is now being replaced by Picco with the .27... anyways I got it NIB for such a good price I could not pass it up.

My buggy is quite quick and it holds a tune rather well I thought.