Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

MGT vs Savage

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 07:01 PM
runningman11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MGT vs Savage

assume I can get either for about $350.....I'm a newbie and want something fun, tough, and good looking, and easy to clean.....which one should I get????

also, I wanted to put a .28 sh engine in it....which one should I get????
Old 03-11-2005, 07:07 PM
Salty0790

Default RE: MGT vs Savage

savage is the most durable truck on the market...that should help you decide...
Old 03-11-2005, 07:22 PM
bajan_dread

Its way easier to clean and take apart the MGT over the Savage [&o]
Old 03-11-2005, 08:20 PM
proxpilot
My Feedback: (3)

get the savage if you like replacing Diff's get the MGT if you wanna run the savage over, but the savages can take a crash but they handle like ass compared to a losi, MGT or REVO. IMO the savages cant handle HP i have three good friends that all have savage .25, they spend more time replacing and shimming diffs than donald trump spends putting on his wig.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:24 PM
monstatruCkin

get an mgt you wont be sry. i dont own a savage so i cant comment on it. but the mgt is a solid truck very fun to drive and SUPER easy to clean. just watch your diffs. if your hard on them alot the ring and pinion will go. it depends on driving style. out of the box the .21 can really push it around and the shocks are really smooth. hope this helps.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:35 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: proxpilot

get the savage if you like replacing Diff's get the MGT if you wanna run the savage over, but the savages can take a crash but they handle like ass compared to a losi, MGT or REVO. IMO the savages cant handle HP i have three good friends that all have savage .25, they spend more time replacing and shimming diffs than donald trump spends putting on his wig.
I don't know what the hell is going on with your friends.... My Savage had 6 different engines before anything happened to the diff (.21, .25, .26, .27, .28, and .30), the last 4 being quite strong. The rear bevel finally wore out on my new Collari .30....

-EDIT- Heck, that's about 20 gallons of fuel on the diffs... I had bought replacement units when I got the .27, but never had to use them until now...

I got this truck not because I wanted an MT, I just wanted something tough that I didn't have to work on all the time...
Old 03-11-2005, 09:53 PM
HoldDaMayo
My Feedback: (1)

easy to work on and clean and want to drop an SH .28 into? MGT, hands down, possibly the easiest truck to clean on the market, the electronics comes completely out with 4 screws and loosening two hex screws... Just spray the whole thing down with a hose, wipe clean, lube appropriate pieces and she's good as new...

Savage would be the choice is jumping is all you want to do, MGT can do it too, but savage will break less, MGT is sort of heavy, which will put more stress on turnbuckles and A-Arms, etc...
Old 03-11-2005, 09:59 PM
Bender101

ORIGINAL: Frost_

ORIGINAL: proxpilot

I don't know what the hell is going on with your friends.... My Savage had 6 different engines before anything happened to the diff (.21, .25, .26, .27, .28, and .30), the last 4 being quite strong. The rear bevel finally wore out on my new Collari .30....

I got this truck not because I wanted an MT, I just wanted something tough that I didn't have to work on all the time...
Ya I thought the same I don't know what the heck your friends are doing. Or maybe you made them up because you wanted him to get a mgt? From what you said I would say get a savage. They are the best bashers and come with a bigger motor stock. I would say a savage is pretty easy to clean so far from what I have done but the mgt is easyer. In my opinion I would say the savage looks better because it has those two big aluminum plates visible meanwhile the mgt is a pan so I like the look of aluminum more. When I went in the hobby shop to get my savage I didn't know they had a mgt till the guy threw one on the counter and said look at one of theese. I could not make up my mind and I came out with a savage. I know I got the right truck becuase I am a basher but I still miss that mgt. If you are going to only bash get the savage. If you are gonna race and bash? Get the mgt?
Old 03-12-2005, 10:21 AM
broncobill
My Feedback: (11)

Either one would be great. I have both of them. They are both very tough trucks. But, since this will be your first truck, I would say get the MGT. Easier to work on and clean. Handles better than the Savage too. Parts availability are about the same for both trucks except for bodies. There are far more for the Savage. You will be happy with either one.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:23 AM
bajan_dread

Are you telling me thats not his real hair? LMAO all that money and he still cant get the hair thing right.. ok back to the post
Old 03-12-2005, 11:30 AM
bajan_dread

You got a point there, the savage is alot lighter non bulky than the MGT especially with the shorter suspension travel I was thinking bout lifting my MGT a inch or so higher off the ground and dropping my savage lower. Either way I love both trucks and wished i had four arms to play with them both at the same time
Old 03-12-2005, 03:59 PM
ICrashThings

Get the MGT...its bigger so it can run over more stuff.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:09 PM
fourwheeler

I own both trucks and as some have said the Savage is more durable and the MGT is easier to clean. In the end it is your choice as to which you like better. I assume you have scouted around for parts at your LHS? That could be a determining factor as well.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:28 PM
ICrashThings

ORIGINAL: fourwheeler

I assume you have scouted around for parts at your LHS? That could be a determining factor as well.
Thats how i determined getting a MGT...My lhs doesnt carry much for a savage.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Savage_Dias

I've heard the MGT is a beast on tracks. They're so stable they send other trucks end over end if there's any contact. If you're looking for durability Savage is King. You'd probably have a hard time going wrong with either truck. If you're looking for a solid vote, I'll cast one for Savage since mine still makes me grin ear to ear everytime I run it. Mine was originally a .21 so if it's still making me this happy there's gotta be something behind it.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:29 PM
bajan_dread

Do you know if any site still sells the savage 21 under $350 brand new? I wanna start a Truckzilla project
Old 03-17-2005, 10:44 PM
brokenstuff

MGT'S are nice my buiddy has one heres a list of what he's broken from moderate bashing both front a arms twice the second set was a set of rpm (unbreakable) a arms the top a arm mount front rear shock tower dob bones rip out of the back bulkhead (easy) he has owned it about 3 months now. he also had to glue his shock caps on cause they kept coming apart

i own a savage heres a list of what ive replaced from moderate bashing

you still waiting??

well not to dissapoint you heres a list of what ive broke from some serious bashing front steering uprights (bad landings) and i went WOT (about 40 mph) into a concrete lamp post base and bent a tvp steering post and a front steering upright.

everything else has been replaced because i wanted to not from neccesity also i had my savage for over a month putting some serious hurting to it before i broke a single part

Old 03-18-2005, 12:44 PM
2strokefreak

i love my mgt, its tough as nails, fast, looks sweet,and you can use a hose to clean it,plenty of power stock and u can easily drop in a big motor, jumps good, and looks cool!!!! i think that covers it, savages arent bad either. ur choice good luck
Old 03-18-2005, 02:17 PM
diirtbag

I have both and my savage has been upgraded and the mgt is all stock the gt is the toughest stock truck I have seen and for big air the savage cant touch it I have seen savages(more than one)fold on big air ,I am rather disgusted by certain weeknesses in its design,as well as the time it takes to work on it .but it seems to be the popular truck right now.2stokefreak is right a few screws and the engine and electronics are out of the gt for easy cleaning,takes about as long as half a side plate on the savage
Old 03-18-2005, 07:45 PM
brokenstuff

guess you got lucky must have gotten one of the really good ones my buddys handles air pretty good but my savage will out jump it anyday
Old 03-19-2005, 01:09 AM
sledmanass
My Feedback: (2)

Id go with the savage, strongest truck out there, and if you love the hobby, you wont mind cleaning it.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:37 AM
fantomas

he also had to glue his shock caps on cause they kept coming apart
If the caps keep blowing off they are over filled.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:54 PM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

Something is up for sure.. Notice how all the pics are blurry. Also I don't like to buy expensive items from people with 2 feed back. None from buyers.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:46 PM
tzque

this is thefourth thread i have read like this . Imo you cant go wrong with either one . My savage is a pure beast but sometimes I just want to drive and have fun . When I am in that mood I grab my MGT . when you run with REvo and LST like I do sometimes I dont want to wait to watch it turn . I want it to turn right away , That is my MGT . When we start jumping and getting a little crazy I grab the savage . Bottom line buy them both . Who only keeps one truck .
Old 03-21-2005, 11:08 PM
fottball99

get the savge hands down. it is the best truck i have even owned!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.