Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

TNX...MGT... which one is more DURABLE?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum
View Poll Results: A poll
Associated MGT
0%
Tamiya TNX
0%
Neither are durable
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

TNX...MGT... which one is more DURABLE?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 10:39 PM
lax195
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TNX...MGT... which one is more DURABLE?

Hi, I used the search and I didnt find the info I was looking for... so I just decided to ask you guys. My buddy is getting into the hobby and the 2 trucks that are under consideration are the Associated MGT and the Tamiya TNX. Which one is more durable? I know most of the other specs about the trucks, except for durability... please help, and be HONEST. [8D]
Old 03-24-2005, 11:05 PM
mattymx
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: TNX...MGT... which one is more DURABLE?

I have no idea on the TNX, but my friend thrashes his MGT and it keeps on going. he has about 5 gallons through it and it still runs strong. He has broken some things, but that is because he just thrashes on it. If I owned it, I would not brake anything. Have him do the MGT. Good after market for it as well.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:51 PM
Got Dirt

the TNX is a pretty tough truck. ive seen it race and take some really good hits and tumbles. almost got one but had to go with the
LST.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:17 AM
turbopwr

I have both and they are both very durable. The biggest weak point on the TNX are the axles that tend to break. Replacements are cheap though, or you can upgrade with duratrax thunder quake parts. The weak point on the MGT is the arms. Both trucks need upgraded shocks cause the MGT blows caps so you need to upgrade to aluminum bodies and caps. and the stock TNX shocks just suck. If buying the TNX just get the pro version thats coming out soon.

Now I'm sure you are going to ask witch one I like better. Stock with the exception of upgraded shocks for both trucks the TNX just blows away the MGT in acceleration and top speed. The TNX can actually race with the best of them with the stock motor. Handling the TNX is just a more agile truck than the MGT. As the MGT weighs 2 lbs. heavier than the TNX. Jumping they both are good with the MGT having a more level attitude in the air. The TNX tends to jump nose up but that can be corrected for free by moving the battery pack to the front of the truck by the front shock tower.Once that mod is done it's a tie in jumping with the TNX getting better height due to the lighter weight. Maintenance wise they are both easy to work on.

If I had to keep one I would keep the TNX. Just be sure you can get parts for the TNX as alot of local hobby stores don't carry TNX parts. But with the internet and on-line hobby stores parts are easy to get.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:21 AM
HoldDaMayo

I also am lucky enough to own an MGT and a TNX... and I'd take the TNX in a heartbeat... very tough, very fast, very tunable. Parts are something best kept stocked seeing as no LHS will have them chilling behind the counter
Old 03-25-2005, 09:52 AM
ICrashThings

MGT, its big, its heavy, and its fun.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:05 AM
IslandSavage

I swapped in a bigger engine, took out the reverse, added some bowties, lowered the stance, changed springs,and kick ***** at the track.... Only ever broke 1 rear shock tower (only thing holding it on was the shocks) during a race and still finished 2nd..... and burned out 1 spur gear.... I LOVE MY MGT!!!!! I never owned a TNX so i cant comment on that. Id probably buy one if the actually supported it better... I dont wanna mail order a part, i wanna pick it up at the LHS... I live in a area with 8 or 10 LHS and NONE of them have parts for a TNX... From what i read its a good truck though.. but this is my experience with the MGT..[8D]
Old 03-25-2005, 10:13 AM
ICrashThings

My MGT never seems to get dirty...I dont know why. My RC10GT attracts all dirt from EVERYTHING where as my MGT just kiks it off. [&:]

Island-Pics of your truck?
Old 03-25-2005, 10:19 AM
IslandSavage

Im at work now, but i'll post some when i get home...
Old 03-25-2005, 12:39 PM
turbopwr

As a side note my MGT is upgraded with a Wasp 26 and currently is faster than my TNX but I still prefer the TNX over the MGT. The TNX is just such a nimble truck, and at the track just handles so well. I've taken both trucks to the track and the TNX is so much easier to drive fast. I was able to take buggys in the corners by using the inside line but they would pass me on the long straights. Now this is an unbiased opinion as I have both trucks.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:11 PM
IslandSavage

Which one is harder for you to get parts? im guessing TNX....
Old 03-25-2005, 01:23 PM
turbopwr

Yes Islandsavage the MGT parts are more easy to get. But I have a couple of local shops that will order what ever I need for the TNX. Also www.speedtechrc.com is a shop I use that when I order parts for the TNX from ,I usually get the parts the next day and they fully stock TNX parts. If I were to go there they are about a hours drive away.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:59 PM
KaliFormuLA

ORIGINAL: IslandSavage

Which one is harder for you to get parts? im guessing TNX....
out here in the OC we've got no problems getting TNX part cause we've got Ultimate Hobbies! tamiya also let's us race at there track for free on the weekends.[&:]
Old 03-25-2005, 02:06 PM
Ybenjulkay2x

MGTMGTMGTMGTMGTMGTMGTMGTMGTMGTMGTMGTMGTMGTMGTMGTMG TMGTMGTMGT
MGTMGTMGTMGTMGTMGTMGTMGTMGTMGTMGTMGTMGTMGTMGTMGTMG TMGTMGTMGT
MGTMGTMGTMGTMGTMGTMGTMGTMGT....................... ................
Old 03-25-2005, 02:06 PM
turbopwr

KaliFormuLA- I heard Tamiya opens their track to Tamiya owners, how is their off road track? What are the track hours and is it open SAT and SUN.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:18 PM
HoldDaMayo

I'm only 15 minutes from the Tamiya facility in southern cal... I have never been but I want to check it out soon...
Old 03-25-2005, 02:28 PM
HoldDaMayo

Also, i just want to point out that everyone who owns both an MGT and a TNX has chosen the TNX.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:49 PM
IslandSavage

Well the LHS around here (8 to 10 of them) dont carry TNX so its mail order for me on parts if i bought a TNX.. I like knowing i can drive 5 min to get parts instead of waiting for the mail...hmmmmmm i might get one..keep talking me into it...i need the ammunition to explain it to my girl...lol..lol..
Old 03-25-2005, 02:51 PM
KaliFormuLA

tamiya's track is pretty cool... it's about the same size as pegasis. there's jumps, woops and a cool kicker in the center. i haven't been there for about 2 months before all the rain so i'm not sure how the conditions are. i could have sworn that it was open sat & sun 9am to 4pm. call tamiya monday-friday to make sure though... sometimes they close their tracks for events and other crap. oh yeah... did i mention it's FREE![8D]
Old 03-25-2005, 02:57 PM
HoldDaMayo

how crowded is it there Kali? I'm going to try and make it tomorrow morning.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:11 PM
turbopwr

HoldDaMayo- Post back on this thread if you go to the track and let us know how you like it. Also can you get the hours the track is open. I would like to go but i'm about a hour away from the track and don't want to go all that way to find out they are closed. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:14 PM
KaliFormuLA

the 1st times i was there(late afternoon) it was just me and my friends... it was like we had a track all to ourselves. other times there was just a couple people running. it was never crowded the times i've been there. practically everyone there races onroad... it was a perfect setting for me to learn my way around a track and practice my timing over jumps.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:21 PM
KaliFormuLA

ORIGINAL: turbopwr

Also can you get the hours the track is open. I would like to go but i'm about a hour away from the track and don't want to go all that way to find out they are closed. Thanks.
i'm trying to call tamiya and it's saying they're closed but their hours of operation are monday-friday 8am-5pm.[:@] try giving them a call to see if they'll be open. 949-362-2240
Old 03-25-2005, 05:46 PM
Ramirez24

To TNX OWNERS: How does the TNX 2 speed transmission hold up ? Any problems with it or need to replace after a certain amount of run time. Thanks for any info.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:21 PM
KaliFormuLA

ORIGINAL: Ramirez24

To TNX OWNERS: How does the TNX 2 speed transmission hold up ? Any problems with it or need to replace after a certain amount of run time. Thanks for any info.
i'm on my 2nd engine and have been using the stock tranny for about a year and it's holding up quite nicely. i've also never had to adjust shift points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.