RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Who has a mammoth?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 07:18 PM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who has a mammoth?

Wow, it seems that my observations were correct, but I'm sure you'll buy Mammoth anyways ... just to prove me "wrong" and in 2 months you'll be tired of it being broken... and want to get another truck. It's all good, man... GET THE MAMMOTH! It's a GREAT deal... a GREAT truck.. and you won't have ANY problems with it WHATSOEVER. You can run it into walls at top speed and it won't break a thing! There, is that what you wanted to hear?
Old 05-09-2005, 07:31 PM
hybridstone

Holy sarcasm batman! the bottom line is if your going to buy a mammoth be prepaired to invest time and money into makin it reliable!!If you have the knowledge and tools you can make it solid!! for very little cash!! I know dadders make aftermarket parts!!$$ And I have cnc machined parts for a few locals who run mammoths at our track and the diff cases need to be cnc alloy! the stock plastic case w planatarys are weak!! and a set of towers and braces are needed as is a centre diff!!If you want something strong and reliable out of the box then the mammoth is not your baby!!
Old 05-09-2005, 08:09 PM
RenegadeRevo

The guy asks a question and then argues with the answers! I can't stand that. If you want answers, in this case... opinions... either take them as they are... or don't ask at all. My opinion as someone who hasn't OWNED one, but who has had extensive time with one... is that they're a money pit... no matter how hard you bash them... (or not...) I've even been backed up by the ones who own the truck... so, my opinion is shared amongst those who own them, also... therefore... the answer is... spend the money how you wish, just be warned that you will be putting a lot of money into upgrades / broken parts if you buy it.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:12 PM
proxpilot
My Feedback: (3)

"for very little cash" you say? you just listed almost $200 dollars in parts! but i do agree with you once you buy all that stuff it's a decent truck, i just ran out of patience for mine, i got around to finally getting a new engine(picco .26) for it. but im thinking about just selling it as a rolling chassis and doing something else with the motor. find a nice buggy er something.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:23 PM
UF DUB

wow. what can i say. all these experienced people who have owned mammoths or know someone that owns one and they all dont recommend the mammoth. and they claim to "not care what u buy", but then try to drill it in your head to buy revo. let me get this straight, u see the thread title "mammoth...", and then u click on the thread just so u can bash the truck and plug the revo. how mature.

grow up. own it before u knock it. and quit thinking your opinion and expeience is the end-all-be-all of opinions. seriously. the revo IS a good truck. is it the best? NO ONE can say it is. its subjective. is the revo winning national races left and right? NO! is the mammoth? NO! both have strong points. but to come into this thread where someone is looking for help wiht a mammoth and then just bash the truck, grow up. offer the help he asks for, or learn to keep your mouth shut. when i see a revo owner needing help, i dont chime into the thread telling him his truck sucks and to buy something else.

i own a mammoth. i will own a revo soon. i also have a kyosho K3. and 3 planes. im not biased and i dont trash talk.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:25 PM
titan66

i have a mammoth so everything i say is from my experience[:-]
Old 05-09-2005, 08:44 PM
proxpilot

me too titan. but UF DUB he doesnt have a problem he needs help with, he wants opinions on wether the truck is worth the $ or not, and since only one or two people have really anything good to say about the truck, IMO NO it's not worth the money considering the extra $ your going to have to put into it. i just dont want to see anyone get burnt like i did with this truck, considering most of the people on here are kids around 15 or 16 yrs old that dont have alot of $ to put into a not well thought out truck thats going to nickle and dime them when they probably dont have too much $ to waste as it is. when they can spend the same amount of $ on a Savage or Monster GT. i think the only people that even sell the mammoth anymore is Hobbypeople. my LHS dont even carry them anymore cuz he got sick of people complaining about them.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:58 PM
RC Prodigy

For REVOFAMILY:

Ok the whole point of this thread was for people who actually OWN a mammoth to give me adivice, not for people who "know a guy that has one", REVOFAMILY. And as far as you trying to advertise the revo, I never said it wasn't a good truck, in fact, I said this: "As far as the revo, well I have no experience with the truck itself so I can't diss it" and then made a comment about the engine because I HAVE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH IT AND IMO IT IS JUNK. So what? get over it, You don't own a mammoth, so I don't want your advice, go to the traxxas forum and boast about your stupid revo, I don't care. I wouldn't care if the revo was the best truck in the whole rc market, I DIDNT ASK ABOUT THE GODDAMN REVO!!!!!

I agree with you fully UF DUB
Old 05-09-2005, 10:08 PM
RenegadeRevo

ORIGINAL: RC Prodigy

For REVOFAMILY:

Ok the whole point of this thread was for people who actually OWN a mammoth to give me adivice, not for people who "know a guy that has one", REVOFAMILY. And as far as you trying to advertise the revo, I never said it wasn't a good truck, in fact, I said this: "As far as the revo, well I have no experience with the truck itself so I can't diss it" and then made a comment about the engine because I HAVE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH IT AND IMO IT IS JUNK. So what? get over it, You don't own a mammoth, so I don't want your advice, go to the traxxas forum and boast about your stupid revo, I don't care. I wouldn't care if the revo was the best truck in the whole rc market, I DIDNT ASK ABOUT THE GODDAMN REVO!!!!!

I agree with you fully UF DUB
HA HA... I never was trying to sell you a Revo. and... as far as you saying "As far as the revo, well I have no experience with the truck itself so I can't diss it" ... then you went on dissing it. What experience did you have with the 2.5r? Did you own one? If you've never owned a Revo, you probably haven't owned a 2.5r, either... so what kind of "opinion" can you have on that? C'mon take your own advice. The fact is... you asked if it was worth the money. I answered the question with my experience. The Mammoth is something I do have experience with. It doesn't matter that I didn't own one, my BEST FRIEND had one and I knew about EVERY time he ran it... 'cause I WAS THERE. I was ALSO THERE when he had to fix it. ALL but a few of the Mammoth-owners, or shall I say... EX-Mammoth owners agreed with me. So, how is it that my opinion doesn't matter? It seems that MY observation is the SAME as the observations of those who OWN them. Again, do what you want, I feel the same way as proxpilot ... I would rather help someone to not get nickeled and dimed to death... that was the question. I answered the question with my observation of the Mammoth... and you argued with my observation. FINE... BUY THE DAMN MAMMOTH... BUT DON'T ASK PEOPLE'S OPINIONS IF YOU AREN'T GOING TO LISTEN TO THEM!!!

And... UF DUB - Your post REALLY was an assistance to the question, now wasn't it?
Old 05-10-2005, 02:23 PM
titan66

well since you have obviously decided you have to have this truck i'll tell you one last time that you will regret getting this truck when it is compared to the revo or lst, the mammoth is old and outdated compared to thee new trucks it will never have the bash or race potential of either the lst or revo, i dont care how you spend your money but you were warned
Old 05-10-2005, 03:38 PM
RenegadeRevo

I wouldn't waste any more time convincing him of the obvious. Just let him make his mistakes... I'll just remember to NEVER give advice to RC Prodigy because he won't listen anyways and he'll just argue with your opinion [:@]
Old 05-10-2005, 06:02 PM
hybridstone

with a name like r/c prodigy you would think he'd know better!!
Old 05-10-2005, 06:08 PM
azcoco

ive had my mammoth for about 8 months now and i wont let it go its a good truck beats the hell out of the savages and revos and it can take a beating just upgrade with some kind of shock tower brace
Old 05-10-2005, 06:29 PM
RenegadeRevo

^^^^^^^ ---- Listen to him.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:28 PM
MacManInfi

I've been running a mammoth for over almost two years now.

Things to add to too tall Gearing, and weak shock towers:

Weak Servo saver spring: Most people think the problem is the steering servo, but actually, the servo saver spring is so weak that on high speed runs, the servo is doing it's job, but the tires still point straight. I bought a servo saver spring from the Monster GT to replace the stocker, and cranked it as tight as it'll go.

Crappy steering servo: Slow, not very strong, and prone to being stronger turning one direction than the other. You'll want to replace it sooner or later.

Shim the diffs and the two speed transmission: They have a lot of slack. You're probably o.k. with the stock 24.7, but if you upgrade, you must shim the diffs and two speed transmissions or you'll be putting new ones in every other run. I hate the diff design (tiny vertical spider gears), but haven't found a replacement yet.

Bad rims and axle design: The stock rims have short bolts that hold them to the axles. The bolts fall out easily, even with threadlock. The rims are rotated via a pin through the axle. Over time, the pin cuts through the plastic wheel and will free wheel. XTM makes a T-Maxx axle conversion kit.

Brace the chassis: There's a lot of flex in the chassis. In the rough stuff, you'll be popping dog bones out all over the place. Borrow from the new 1/7 superbuggy design and bolt extra braces from the top of the diffs to the chassis, and from diff to center to diff. Make sure you lock tight the drive cups at the diffs too. They loosen easily.

Trim the front, upper control arms: You'll have to dremel/trim away part of the ring that surrounds the shocks on the upper control arms. When turned to full lock the tires rub the upper control arm and limit steering.

I'm probably forgetting other stuff as well, but that's all that I can think of right now.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:30 PM
hansdava

I own a mammoth. it's a good truck,the fastest one out there. but is not as durable as the revo or the team losi one. you can jump with it but not crazy jumping because it wasn't designed for it.you won be desapointed at it because as soon as you feel the power(velocity) it has, you will be amazed. i hope this help.one more thing, i changed the towers and put a 40 oil in the springs and also a roll cage.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:16 PM
hybridstone

(tiny vertical spider gears)lol Well they are called planitary gears and are about the worst design ever!! ad a set of PLASTIC diff cups and you have the worse diffs on the market next to the old ofna monster pirate!! I do like the mammoth it very stable on the track and a great jumper!! just be prepaired to spend$$ in hop up parts!!
Old 05-10-2005, 09:23 PM
proxpilot

ORIGINAL: MacManInfi

I've been running a mammoth for over almost two years now.

Things to add to too tall Gearing, and weak shock towers:

Weak Servo saver spring: Most people think the problem is the steering servo, but actually, the servo saver spring is so weak that on high speed runs, the servo is doing it's job, but the tires still point straight. I bought a servo saver spring from the Monster GT to replace the stocker, and cranked it as tight as it'll go.

Crappy steering servo: Slow, not very strong, and prone to being stronger turning one direction than the other. You'll want to replace it sooner or later.

Shim the diffs and the two speed transmission: They have a lot of slack. You're probably o.k. with the stock 24.7, but if you upgrade, you must shim the diffs and two speed transmissions or you'll be putting new ones in every other run. I hate the diff design (tiny vertical spider gears), but haven't found a replacement yet.

Bad rims and axle design: The stock rims have short bolts that hold them to the axles. The bolts fall out easily, even with threadlock. The rims are rotated via a pin through the axle. Over time, the pin cuts through the plastic wheel and will free wheel. XTM makes a T-Maxx axle conversion kit.

Brace the chassis: There's a lot of flex in the chassis. In the rough stuff, you'll be popping dog bones out all over the place. Borrow from the new 1/7 superbuggy design and bolt extra braces from the top of the diffs to the chassis, and from diff to center to diff. Make sure you lock tight the drive cups at the diffs too. They loosen easily.

Trim the front, upper control arms: You'll have to dremel/trim away part of the ring that surrounds the shocks on the upper control arms. When turned to full lock the tires rub the upper control arm and limit steering.

I'm probably forgetting other stuff as well, but that's all that I can think of right now.
the Mammoth is a good truck but that is alot of BS just to get the truck to handle.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:29 PM
hansdava

?
Old 05-10-2005, 09:47 PM
ITHURTZ
Banned

Alright, I have to Chim in here. All you F'in pussies that cry about the mammoth being a pos. REVO dude YOU need to STFU and die. Any truck have its problems. Im garantee YOUR REVO wouldnt stand a CHANCE against MY MAMMOTH in a race OR a bash.

You say everything break... Hm I ran into a telephone pole at 30mph and I spend 5$ to fix it. I have flipped it, rolled it, ran into a fence, jumped over a fence and landed on my head, ran the engine past 340 degrees but yet, iv broke nothing........... hmmmmmmmmm.

Known Problems to fix
Shock towers: Solution is
A: get 5 mm replacements
B: Brace or a cage that ties into them

Differential Clicking Solution:
A:Shim your diffs. And dont be a moron and land on full power.
B:Run ofna billet gears
C: Get a Dadders Center Differential

Other than that there really isnt a problem. But if your going to bash. Its just brains to upgrade just a little bit more.

I myself only have 2 upgrades. Full Aluminum Arms, and a Bash cage thats tied into BOTH SHOCK TOWERS, AND 4 points on the chassis. I am set for life knowing that my chassis WILL NOT EVER EVER EVER EVER bend. EVER. EVERYTHING inside that cage is safe. Stock servos, stock reciever etc, been through rain, snow and shine and they still work.

THe mammoth was ment to really be a racing truck, but by all means is far from a bad basher. I bought it TO bash, and have NO problem getting air and knowing something wont break.

The radio its alright, can drive it 6 houses down and still have total control.

Just because your a complete moron and suck at nitro doesnt mean to blame the mammoth because it was your experiment toy. You know nothing are are nothing.

SO as my last saying, to the people that bash the mammoth, **** YOU you little 12 yo ass****s. You are what makes this forum **** and why I really never post anymore. Fairwell, ****off, you suck, MAMMOTH RULES.... go to the mammoth forum if you want one. We will MORE THAN helpful at any question you got. If your an ass your imediantly banned, we dont want fags at our forum...... OUT
Old 05-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Ovgron

Sweet, I just made a deal with a guy here in Vegas to buy his Mammoth. $250 RTR + All sorts of extras. Should have it Friday or Saturday.

Huh... weird.... release date for the Mammoth was November 17th 2003..... theres something to think about.

But let me guess... got your hands on a prototype?
Old 05-10-2005, 10:32 PM
RenegadeRevo

he said "over almost 2 years" ... which means... it's OVER... ALMOST 2 years... so... it would be over 1.3 years... heck... it's over 6 months at least 'cause in a scale of 1000 years, 6 months is ALMOST 2 years...
Old 05-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Ovgron

So... I bought my E-maxx in July of 2003... Sold it about.... 4 months ago.... ran it about 4 times, so I actually got about 2.4 years experience with E-maxxs if my calculations are correct.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:24 PM
MacManInfi

meant to say "almost two years". :P

Bought it December 2003, so it's been a year and five months. Feel better? Didn't feel like I needed to get that specific.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:20 PM
<conrad>

man i have been away from these forums for awhile and i cant belive all this dissing going on on the mammoth it really pisses me off, yes the mammoth has week a-arms and towers but thats it all u need is a 130 doller up grade on alluminum a-arms and a shock supporter and the mammoth is unstoppable it will be stronger, faster and just better all around than the revo, yes the revo is a very good truck but to say that it is better than the mammoth with those little upgrades is unbeliveable all u guys who bought mammoths should of nown there weaknesses before u bought them there for u should of fixed them be fore u bashed it now that u have its a piece and u gotta spend money well it was ur fault and for u rc prodigy if u get the mammoth put these up grades on before u even start it and it will be the best rc truck ull ever drive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.