Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Who has a mammoth?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 12:49 AM
8ball420

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who has a mammoth?

YAH DUCTAPE WOUNT FIX STRIPED GEARS BUT GETTING OFF YOUR WALLET AND BUYING STEEL GEARS MIGHT HELP. KNOW FOR THE MAMMOTH PROBLEMS THEIR STOCK SUSPENSIN IS BAD, BOTTOMS OUT AT 3.5 FOOT DROPS SO IF YOU PLAN ON BUYING ONE SPEND AN X-TRA 80-100 DOLLERS OR YOU CAN BUY A REVO. I HAVE ONE GREAT TRUCK. I HAVE GONE OFF 7 FOOT JUMPS AND I HAVE NEVER BOTTOM IT OUT SO FAR.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:32 AM
Wastegate

I have both a Mammoth and Revo and bash both hard at a BMX track. The Mammoth has homemade tower braces that cost just a few $, an SH28 engine, aluminium clutch, shimmed diffs and that's it. The Revo is stock. I love both trucks for different reasons. The Mammoth is big and imposing and you can't fail to be impressed when you see this thing taking really rough ground in it's stride at over 50 mph. The Revo is a fantastic truck with lots of innovative features and is unbelievably quick for a 2.5cc engine. It's also much tougher than I thought it would be with only a few cheap plastic links breaking. But i suppose what you really wanted to know is which is best! Personally from my experience I would say that the Revo is as it's quick, tough, has electric start, parts are easily available here (UK) and I find it just more fun to drive. I still wouldn't sell the Mammoth though
Old 05-20-2005, 11:17 AM
RC Prodigy

ORIGINAL: 8ball420

YAH DUCTAPE WOUNT FIX STRIPED GEARS BUT GETTING OFF YOUR WALLET AND BUYING STEEL GEARS MIGHT HELP. KNOW FOR THE MAMMOTH PROBLEMS THEIR STOCK SUSPENSIN IS BAD, BOTTOMS OUT AT 3.5 FOOT DROPS SO IF YOU PLAN ON BUYING ONE SPEND AN X-TRA 80-100 DOLLERS OR YOU CAN BUY A REVO. I HAVE ONE GREAT TRUCK. I HAVE GONE OFF 7 FOOT JUMPS AND I HAVE NEVER BOTTOM IT OUT SO FAR.

Noob

A side note: You have to move your pinky finger all of ½" to not look like a noob with your caps lock. And also, I'd much rather strip a $3 spurgear than a 12 dollar clutchbell. And just a little FYI, the only steel gear set that fits my truck is 60 bucks so...yeah...I think I'll stick with 3 dollar plastic gears.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:03 PM
MrGame

so if i can get a mammoth brand new for $350, i should get it? I'm trying to decide between it and the HPI MT2, but I'm leaning toward the MT2 now after all the mammoth-bashing i just read, so can someone give me a clear answer?
Old 05-20-2005, 04:29 PM
<conrad>

people dont like the mammoth cause it has week a-arms and weak shock towers thats it and it aint evan that bad, pay 30 bucks on a shock tower brase and if u want buy 100 doller alumminum a-arms after those upgrades the mammoth is unstoppable itll be twice as good as the mt2 dont get the mt2 over a mammoth ud just waste ur money, people who have mammoths but dont like them are people who didnt fix a problem when it occured if u just order the shock tower brace with the mammoth and the alluminum a-arms the truck will never have any probs
Old 05-20-2005, 05:02 PM
MacManInfi

ORIGINAL: MrGame

so if i can get a mammoth brand new for $350, i should get it? I'm trying to decide between it and the HPI MT2, but I'm leaning toward the MT2 now after all the mammoth-bashing i just read, so can someone give me a clear answer?
For sure, if you're choosing between those two, get the Mammoth. The MT2 is so small that it really limits what you can do with it and where you can go. 1/8th scale is so much better in general.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:32 PM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

my whole beef with the Mammoth is... if I buy a truck, I want to actually BUY AND RUN the truck, not have to worry about right-away upgrades that have to take place or else I'll have to fix it a lot later. The fact is... a stock Mammoth is weak and requires upgrading. There are many other trucks out there that aren't... I would much rather spend my money on something that doesn't require upgrading out of the box.... That was my main point. Only reason I upgraded my Revo is because I wanted a little more power.... it's already fast out of the box... very durable... and handles like a dream. There are other trucks out there like the Revo that don't have to be upgraded as soon as you open the box... unfortunately, the Mammoth ISN'T one of them.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:35 PM
MacManInfi

Agreed. Of those that I've owned (Mammoth, Savage, MGT and GSStorm SUT), my pick for the most solid truck, out of the box, would be the MGT. And I bought mine refurbished from Associated for $300.

ORIGINAL: REVOFAMILY

There are other trucks out there like the Revo that don't have to be upgraded as soon as you open the box... unfortunately, the Mammoth ISN'T one of them.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:50 PM
MrGame

i didn't get either and bought a GS Racing SUT
Old 06-01-2005, 07:10 PM
RCNewcomer

How about the Mammoth ST? Tell me more about the Mammoth St. Any improvements? 17mm hex It's a Monster Stadium truck
Old 06-01-2005, 07:29 PM
jmoneym

stripped gears lol learn how to mesh a gear
Old 06-01-2005, 07:48 PM
RC Prodigy

Are you talking about my sig?

People strip spur gears for reasons other than bad gear meshing. I have a friend that has an ST with an OS .18 CV-RX in it. All you have to do is look at it wrong and it'll strip the gear. It's not because the gear mesh is wrong, it's because of all the power. I know how to mesh gears, I've been doing it for 5 years.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:21 AM
maxximum_overdrive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anybody checked out the new mammoth st yet.......looks pretty hot.........
Old 06-03-2005, 04:50 PM
proxpilot
My Feedback: (3)

it will have to be proven for me to buy anything XTM again
Old 06-03-2005, 08:18 PM
Ovgron

What did you get from XTM that causes you to be so biased against XTM in all your posts ProXpilot?
Old 09-02-2005, 03:01 AM
Trbo323

Hey im giving traxxas the boot, stupid rusty never is satisfyed with a engine, but whats the difference between the mammoth and the mammoth st??? Iv seen a st in person and was very impressed (just wainting on another paycheck)
Old 09-02-2005, 03:22 AM
Trbo323

Hey revo family if these trucks are as fragile as you say they are id like to know how the video in the link was managed...

http://globalservices.globalhobby.co...pic.php?t=2337
Old 09-02-2005, 11:53 AM
RenegadeRevo

ORIGINAL: Trbo323

Hey revo family if these trucks are as fragile as you say they are id like to know how the video in the link was managed...

http://globalservices.globalhobby.co...pic.php?t=2337
I'm sure there are a few out there that don't break... but the general problem I had was that it was always broken, whether it be an a-arm... shock tower... etc... the thing is... that was the first R/C I saw, and didn't realize that it wasn't normal, or shall I say... true with all the R/C trucks that everytime you take it out it breaks... that wasn't even that great of air... but ... *shrug* to each his own... and... that was a manufacturer video... of course they're not going to show it breaking...

Old 09-02-2005, 12:17 PM
RCNewcomer

MAMMOTH ST MORE IMPROVED
Old 09-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Trbo323

If something breaks everytime you take it out then that says something about your driving skills over the truck Iv had a rustler for 5 years and the worst thing i ever broke from a crash is the rear shock tower, I didnt baby this thing eather It went through 2 engines in 3 months, your also placing your whole clame that mammoths are bad one one truck...and its not even yours....

still havnt found a video on the net of a mammoth breaking
Old 09-02-2005, 12:52 PM
RenegadeRevo

ORIGINAL: Trbo323

If something breaks everytime you take it out then that says something about your driving skills over the truck Iv had a rustler for 5 years and the worst thing i ever broke from a crash is the rear shock tower, I didnt baby this thing eather It went through 2 engines in 3 months, your also placing your whole clame that mammoths are bad one one truck...and its not even yours....

still havnt found a video on the net of a mammoth breaking
Why would any mammoth owner post a video where the Mammoth breaks? That would be a boring video. The Mammoth MT is not the best thing since sliced bread... and I would not ever even CONSIDER owning one. I know about driving... and I beat the hell out of my Revo... but, that Mammoth couldn't take a beating, that's for sure. He finally threw a roll cage on it... and it helped... but then it made it even heavier.... so, he sold it... and got a Revo... Our other friend with a Mammoth got tired of messing with it.. (he had a Sirio .27 on his) and GAVE it away to someone. You want a good jumping video? Go to the Traxxas website, click on Revo, and go to Sick Trick Vol 1. (I believe that's the right one) Those jumps by that Mammoth have NOTHING on that video. Mammoth ST... haven't seen one, only heard about 'em, and I hear nothing but good things.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:32 PM
Trbo323

Revo all im hearing is "my friend this" how much experience do YOU have with these trucks?? I dont care what your friend has done or what you have watched him do cuz what it sounds like is that you drove his truck for a tank or two and the rest are stories that he has told you. There are PLENTY of bashing videos out there with trucks pretty much breaking in half (have you ever seen slap ma fro??? http://www.slapmafro.com/ ) As for the video....whoo wooo a revo did one backflip, id like to see it landing like the mammoth did, if you look closely that revo is leaning to the left side after it lands anyway, maybe if traxxas wouldnt put so many plastc parts on their trucks they would be better

Anyone out there know of a video of a Mammoth st racing a revo??
Old 09-02-2005, 08:34 PM
RenegadeRevo

LOL... ever heard of Beaverstick? almost the same as Slap Ma Fro... and they had one video that the ONLY truck that survived was the Revo... every truck breaks... the Mammoth just seems to break more. It's too bad that the Mammoth is such a bohemouth that it can't even do a back flip... This conversation is stupid... you just keep attacking me... there were more than just ME that posted negative comments about the Mammoth.... I ran quite a few tanks through the Mammoth, and I was there everytime he took it out... so, I saw EVERYTHING. I don't have to own something to know that everytime I wanted to go R/Cing, he couldn't 'cause it was broken. I don't have to own a Yugo to know that they suck, and I don't want one... do I? I don't have to own a Porsche 911 Turbo to know it's fast, do I? I don't have to own a Ferrari to know that the clutches fail after about 4,000 miles, do I? Why then, do I have to OWN a Mammoth to know the problems they have... and know I don't want one? Funny thing... shortly after this thread was created... a guy bought the Mammoth and found out EXACTLY what I was talking about.... think what you want about me... I could care less. I know what I know... and that's good enough for me. If you want to bash a Mammoth against my Revo... I'll do it ANYDAY... and I'll bet that my Revo comes out in a lot better condition than the Mammoth... Now, the Mammoth ST, that's a different story altogether... I have never seen a Mammoth ST, but I have heard good reviews.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:41 AM
Trbo323

revo iv been talking about the st this whole time, thats how i started, Iv never seen a MT but all the vids i can find are the MTs and if their decent id be willing to bet that the st is even better, You didnt seriously think i was looking for the mammoth MT to race a revo did you, The MT might have it on the straights but the huge tires and higher ground clearence would hurn in the turns

sorry about the confusion XTM probably should have came up with a different name for the st
Old 09-03-2005, 07:21 AM
REVOJoe

I have a mammoth ST. and a REVO. My Mammoth is only about 3 weeks old and my REVO is 9 months old. I have a lot more run time in with my REVO so one would expect to be able to handle the REVO on the track better as of now. I just took both trucks to a track to pratice, and I'm no racer... just a basher, but here is what I found:

REVO- soaked up the whop de do's better at speed, handled the hair-pin turns better, stayed on course better coming out of turns when power on, nothing broke on a 30 minute run, not enough power for a NOO-B like me to make the doubles that are just after a hard turn.. couldn't get enough speed up in the 15' of straight before the jump.

Mammoth ST- bounced a bit in the whop-de-do's at 1/2 throttle, harder to make tight turns but the great brakes and awesome power allowed me to power it around the turns ok. one screw backed itself out ..no big deal but should have lock tight everything to start. Tons of power, much more than my skill level will let me use. I could ease up to a double abd blip the throttle and clear it with ease, tons of power , I don't think I ever got more than 1/2 way into the throttle on this track. 40 wt shock oil and lock tight is a need here.

FUN FACTOR??? Too soon to tell, my Mammoth is new, it's also big. I think once the new car smell is gone I would be more inclined to bash the REVO at the track, but will still pratice with the MAMMOTH so I can one day race with it. The local track guy suggested I run a 1/8 scale in the monster class, so I really need both.

My XTM engine is a bit cold natured at first but ran flawlessly all day, my TRAXXAS engine ran good too, just has an ocasional flame out for no apparent reason, not really a problem for a basher, just every once in a while( 20 minutes maybe) it just dies.

One side note, the dif gears in my mammoth chatter like crap on pavement, no problems in the dirt though, I might do the center dif upgrade being that 48 MPH is to fast for the track any ways and a more reliable drive train is much more important, and if you can't use the speed why have it?

Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.