RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Who has a mammoth?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 08:12 PM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who has a mammoth?

First off... I would NOT be happier with the Mammoth. The Revo is a great truck... durable, reliable... fast... and I like it. My Revo, geared the way it is now.. would probably beat a Mammoth in a race (not top speed, yet... but close) The 2.5r engines are good engines, as long as you are patient with them. Some of them have tuning issues, but many people run them for a long time. When I bought my trucks, I bought 2 Revos... one of 'em gave me NO problems with tuning, the other one was a PITA from the beginning. *shrug* I was new to nitro, and it was probably my fault.

Your two friends that strip gears... which gears? Basically if they're stripping gears, they're not doing something right. Tranny gears don't strip on the Revo (except for the reverse gear, which I took out) The diff gears have had problems in the past, but that was a small batch of 'em, and Traxxas fixed that. Spur gears stripping are due to improper maintainance. Basically, most of the gears that strip are due to operator error. Spur gears will strip from a few things... first, incorrect mesh (operator error), second, a crappy landing that bends the chassis (again, operator error), or slipper too tight (once again, operator error) Same with diff/tranny gears... they are generally due to operator error. My transmission has 3+ gallons thru it including 1+ with the TM323. The only gear that stripped was the reverse gear, which I took out. My diff lasted me 1.5 gallons... and the other one has lasted 3+.... I've gone thru many spur gears (3)... but that's because of my fault.
ORIGINAL: Kory k

my two friends had revos and kept sripping the gears out of it every time they drove it. i drove a stock revo and it does have some power and good acelleration. but in the long run you would be happier with a mammoth i think. and there not $400. i can get one for around $300. also the 2.5 engines are the biggest piece of crap ive ever seen.

Kory
just my opinion
ORIGINAL: REVOFAMILY

ORIGINAL: titan66

well the mammoth is faster than the revo but the revo accelerates a lot faster, i have a mammoth and wish i had gone with a revo or lst the mamy breaks to much and i want to sell it but it wouldnt be worth it anymore, my advice is go get a revo or lst they are the 2 best trucks out right now, the mammy is getting old and i dont think it will be around a lot longer so go towards a newer better truck aka the revo or lst
HA HA... see... I'm not as dumb as I look!

Go ahead... buy the Mammoth... then figure out in 2 months that you should have bought something else.... and get all of $200 for your used, broken Mammoth... it's your choice. I chose the Revo over the Mammoth because I saw the Mammoth run... you can choose the Mammoth because you're stubborn and don't want to take the advice that is given to you when you ask for it.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:14 PM
Kory k

yea good saying RC prodigy the opinions should come from people who OWN one not people who have had some or little experience.

Kory
ORIGINAL: RC Prodigy

For REVOFAMILY:

Ok the whole point of this thread was for people who actually OWN a mammoth to give me adivice, not for people who "know a guy that has one", REVOFAMILY. And as far as you trying to advertise the revo, I never said it wasn't a good truck, in fact, I said this: "As far as the revo, well I have no experience with the truck itself so I can't diss it" and then made a comment about the engine because I HAVE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH IT AND IMO IT IS JUNK. So what? get over it, You don't own a mammoth, so I don't want your advice, go to the traxxas forum and boast about your stupid revo, I don't care. I wouldn't care if the revo was the best truck in the whole rc market, I DIDNT ASK ABOUT THE GODDAMN REVO!!!!!

I agree with you fully UF DUB
Old 09-07-2005, 08:15 PM
RenegadeRevo

have you seen some of the videos and what people do to the mammoth. they are jumping it from like a 6-7 foot jump and nose dive on perpose and all that happened (after like 10 times of it) it lost the body and that was it.so apparently you dont know what your talkin about.

Kory
[sm=eek.gif] 6-7 foot jumps... OH MY... When they jump over a full-size truck... or a house... then I may be a little more astonished. 6-7 feet is nothing... 15-20 feet... that's better. Find a Mammoth that continues to jump 15-20 feet in the air... and doesn't break... and we can discuss that.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:48 PM
RenegadeRevo

yea good saying RC prodigy the opinions should come from people who OWN one not people who have had some or little experience.

Kory
ORIGINAL: RC Prodigy

For REVOFAMILY:

Ok the whole point of this thread was for people who actually OWN a mammoth to give me adivice, not for people who "know a guy that has one", REVOFAMILY. And as far as you trying to advertise the revo, I never said it wasn't a good truck, in fact, I said this: "As far as the revo, well I have no experience with the truck itself so I can't diss it" and then made a comment about the engine because I HAVE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH IT AND IMO IT IS JUNK. So what? get over it, You don't own a mammoth, so I don't want your advice, go to the traxxas forum and boast about your stupid revo, I don't care. I wouldn't care if the revo was the best truck in the whole rc market, I DIDNT ASK ABOUT THE GODDAMN REVO!!!!!

I agree with you fully UF DUB
So, if I went out... wasted my money on something I KNOW I don't like... and I KNOW isn't going to be something that is worth the money, then I am qualified to say it sucks? I guess on my way to the LHS to buy a Mammoth, I might as well go buy a Yugo also... so that way I can say they suck. I also would have to say that RC Prodigy said EXPERIENCE... now, to have EXPERIENCE doesn't mean you have to BUY it. So, I have had EXPERIENCE with the Mammoth, therefore I can speak on the subject.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:04 AM
rolland

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just asking because the only trucks you mentioned were 1/10 scale 2wd trucks. The Mammoth ST has the same ground clearance as the MT. They just improved on some of its flaws, put on a crowd pleaser body on it and a set of bowties I wouldn't exactly call it purpose built, XTM might but I have seen them side by side and they are not.

rolland
Old 09-08-2005, 12:16 AM
Trbo323

so much for letting it die
Old 09-09-2005, 07:37 AM
ofnaDOMINATION!

oh, snap! okay, start the music. *RELAX, don't do it. when you wanna.....................*
Old 09-09-2005, 01:23 PM
RenegadeRevo

ORIGINAL: ofnaDOMINATION!

oh, snap! okay, start the music. *RELAX, don't do it. when you wanna.....................*
LOL... I'm always relaxed...
Old 09-13-2005, 12:02 PM
Trbo323

Anyone know what kind of torque an aftermarket steering servo needs to be placed in the mammoth??
Old 09-13-2005, 04:13 PM
UF DUB

airtronics 358
Old 09-14-2005, 12:17 AM
Trbo323

I know there are servos out there that will work but do you know how many ounces of torque it needs?? Im just looking for an estimate, i know different situations will need more or less torque
Old 09-22-2005, 04:35 PM
Reindeer
My Feedback: (25)

This is one funny thread! Reminds me of more than a few Ford vs. Chevy vs. Honda threads that I've encountered...

True story:

I have a friend who owns a T-Maxx. At first, it was slow, shifted erratically, and liked to flip over in a strong breeze. It also seemed to like eating steering servos for lunch. I pulled his truck aside and got the mixture dialed in right. Now the engine runs stronger, but still not nearly as fast as it should be. Based upon my observations of a close friend, the T-Maxx has got to suck, right?

Not necessarily, as I'm sure many T-Maxx owners will attest.

I have another friend who also owns a T-Maxx, identical to the first. Both are stock EVOs. However, his truck runs considerably faster, holds corners better, and all around a strong and reliable truck. So based upon my observations of this close friend, the T-Maxx is the shiznit.

What's the difference? One friend knows how to tune and otherwise take care of his T-Maxx, while the other does not.

Object lesson: Do lots of research (which is why I'm here BTW), and be very careful about taking anecdotal evidence as gospel truth.

Old 09-29-2005, 06:44 PM
Bdud

does a mammoth count as a cutlass hurst olds 455?